Raw storage/PP
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 43480375
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Raw storage/PP

What I have:
MAC OS X 10.6.8
iMAC 11.2
Nikon D5100
iPhoto '11 v. 9.2.3
I use PS CS4 & Topaz for PP.

I've been downloading my photos to iPhoto for a long time now, because it's quick, convenient and has some PP capabilities for everyday processing. However, even though it says it is storing RAW files I have yet to figure out how to send a photo to PS without iPhoto first converting it to a JPG. I've relented & have been just shooting in JPG & living with it. I've procrastinated getting this sorted out, but to date haven't progressed past the procrastination stage.
Next month we are going on our annual anniversary vacation & I would like to shoot RAW on the trip (& be able to process them).

My question is, can iPhoto output a RAW file, if so how do I do that?
If not, what's the best alternative?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 09-06-2013   #2
F1 Camel

Default Re: Raw storage/PP

Anyone have info? I did some searching & it seems iPhoto can handle RAW images, but it's a somewhat cumbersome process. Maybe lightRoom would be a better rout?
pro70z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 9679634

I don't really understand what you are trying to achieve - or perhaps I should say WHY you are trying to do what you are. My knowledge of of iPhoto is zero so I can't answer your core question anyway................

You have a good camera, CS4 and Topaz - why not just use those ? Set your D5100 to give you jpeg and nef, (if you are are not too confident with CS4) - and off you go
moonrakerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #4
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2638122
Editing OK?: Ask first

I just copy files straight from the memory card to a designated/named folder. Then import/open using the application of your choice. Keeps me from committing to / relying on any one software.
jdt360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013   #5
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrakerz View Post
I don't really understand what you are trying to achieve - or perhaps I should say WHY you are trying to do what you are. My knowledge of of iPhoto is zero so I can't answer your core question anyway................

You have a good camera, CS4 and Topaz - why not just use those ? Set your D5100 to give you jpeg and nef, (if you are are not too confident with CS4) - and off you go
Trying to shoot in RAW and being able to take advantage of the extra info a RAW file provides, I have never been able to figure out how to handle RAW files with iPhoto or if iPhoto even had the capability.
Through some research I have found iPhoto can handle RAW files, but the process is "clunky". (that's the word they used).
Through this process I found something interesting. In the preferences folder you can set an application to launch when you click on the edit button in iPhoto. I set photoshop to open.
Before I had to select the photos I wanted to work on from iPhoto & save them in a folder, then open photoshop, go to that folder, open the photo, PP, re-save, back to the folder. This is not only time consuming, but uses up storage space. When done, I have the original in iPhoto, a JPG in a folder, a PSD copy, and a finished JPG for posting.
Now when I click on edit in iPhoto, it opens the selected photo in PS, I do the PP stuff & when I save it saves it back to iPhoto with the PP stuff intact. Much faster & I don't have an extra folder full of photo copies.
The down side I see, (I might still be missing something), is before I could always go to iPhoto, click on edit & a "revert to original" button would take me back to the original photo, even if I had done some PP with iPhoto's editing tools. Now, with this new set-up it looks like once I do any PP stuff I burn the bridge back to the original photo. I like the faster workflow of iPhoto being tied to PS, but not too happy about loosing the original.
Still looking for a solution at this point.
Old 09-07-2013   #6
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdt360 View Post
I just copy files straight from the memory card to a designated/named folder. Then import/open using the application of your choice. Keeps me from committing to / relying on any one software.
I might have to give that a try. Thanks JD.
Old 09-07-2013   #7
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro70z28 View Post
Trying to shoot in RAW and being able to take advantage of the extra info a RAW file provides, I have never been able to figure out how to handle RAW files with iPhoto or if iPhoto even had the capability.
Through some research I have found iPhoto can handle RAW files, but the process is "clunky". (that's the word they used).
Then why use it ? What exactly are you "doing" to the RAW file in iPhoto before you pass it on to CS4 ? Is there an equivalent to ACR in iPhoto ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro70z28 View Post
I like the faster workflow of iPhoto being tied to PS, but not too happy about loosing the original.
The workflow will be even faster - and a lot less complex - if you do everything in CS4.
You should NOT be "loosing the original" in CS4 - if you are in iPhoto, that is the best reason of all for ditching it !
I keep two copies of each photograph in PS; one in .nef and one in .psd. The .nef is the original RAW from the camera; the .psd can be converted/exported in up to 14 different formats - there is absolutely no need to keep any other format. If there is a need for a really odd format, I have always managed to find an online converter.

I have been trying to do a bit of research to understand excatly what iPhoto is/does:

I found this: " iPhoto does not, however, provide the comprehensive editing functionality of programs such as Apple's own Aperture, or Adobe's Photoshop (not to be confused with Photoshop Elements or Album), or GIMP."
I have to refer you back to my opening 4 word sentence.................
Old 09-07-2013   #8
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrakerz View Post
Then why use it ? What exactly are you "doing" to the RAW file in iPhoto before you pass it on to CS4 ? Is there an equivalent to ACR in iPhoto ?

The workflow will be even faster - and a lot less complex - if you do everything in CS4.
You should NOT be "loosing the original" in CS4 - if you are in iPhoto, that is the best reason of all for ditching it !
I keep two copies of each photograph in PS; one in .nef and one in .psd. The .nef is the original RAW from the camera; the .psd can be converted/exported in up to 14 different formats - there is absolutely no need to keep any other format. If there is a need for a really odd format, I have always managed to find an online converter.

I found this: " iPhoto does not, however, provide the comprehensive editing functionality of programs such as Apple's own Aperture, or Adobe's Photoshop (not to be confused with Photoshop Elements or Album), or GIMP."
I have to refer you back to my opening 4 word sentence.................
Thanks for the input moonrakerz. I think if you have used iPhoto you'd understand my situation. iPhoto won't export a RAW file without first converting it to a JPG. It will convert to .nef but PS won't recognize that file either. So shooting in RAW is of no use to me as things are now.
Nor will CS4 - PS recognize a RAW file imported directly from the camera's SD card.
(which leads me to......
I was under the impression CS4 and up had a Camera RAW plug-in as part of the PS package. Could it be the D5100 is too new for CS4 & has no compatible plug-in to support it? I see adobe Camera RAW plug-ins available on the net for CS4, but I don't want to download anything until I have a better handle on what I need. (Checked one download site & the D5100 was not on the CS4 compatibility list).

For $129.00 I could buy Lightroom & do about all the editing I need there without even opening PS. But I don't really want to do that either if there's an easy fix/upgrade or better understanding of what I already have.
Old 09-07-2013   #9
Dromedary

The penny has dropped !

It's not a case of what you are trying to do - more a case of what Adobe's financial scheming is forcing you to do.

CS4 is not compatible with the .nef files from your camera. There is no(and will not be) plug-in to do this. This will become more and more of a problem with all new cameras as Adobe try to force everyone onto a CS subscription.

Adobe have said that Lightroom will not go to subscription and that the free DNG converter will always be backward compatible. If you believe that.................

I think your options are:
Buy Lightroom
Buy Aperture
Convert all your RAW files to DNG (free)
Try and get a legit copy of CS5
Old 09-07-2013   #10
F1 Camel

I'm seriously considering biting the bullet and going to CS6 (but not cloud). Not just for photos, but I use PS daily in my sign business. That should at least buy me some time, as I doubt I'll be upgrading my camera anytime soon. Probably won't run into a problem until a future computer OS gets in the way.

Gotta' think about it for awhile.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: