Raw storage/PP - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013   #11
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 43480375
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Raw storage/PP

I spent the afternoon sorting this out.
Lightroom 5 is out for the iMAC, the latest available OS is 10.6 & lightroom requires 10.7. Just for giggles I downloaded a trial version & I'll be it really does require 10.7.

The MackBook Pro has 10.8 installed. I downloaded the trial version on it and got plug-in errors. At that point I just dumped it. Having lightroom only on the laptop was sort of a deal breaker. If it would have work on just the iMAC I might still be interested, but......

CS6 is sort of the same deal. It looks like 6 would work on the iMAC but would be running on the ragged edge. It would handle 5 O.K. 5 might be in future plans? The laptop would be fine, but again, the desktop is where the pictures need to be processed. I like to keep the laptop free as much as possible. The only time I use the laptop for photos is on vacation. It has to run the printer, sign work takes precedence.

So, I decided to table all this stuff for now. I downloaded the FREE DNC from adobe, so at least I can get RAW or digital negative files into PS now. So, although it's not the perfect solution, it will have to do for now.
pro70z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013   #12
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 19116378
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdt360 View Post
I just copy files straight from the memory card to a designated/named folder. Then import/open using the application of your choice. Keeps me from committing to / relying on any one software.
This is the best solution, it allows you full control of your catalog and then just open RAW files directly in Photoshop with ARC
Old 09-08-2013   #13
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Deal View Post
This is the best solution, it allows you full control of your catalog and then just open RAW files directly in Photoshop with ARC
That would be a good solution, however my D5100 doesn't have a camera RAW plug-in for CS4, new camera/old PS. Someday an upgrade to 5 or 6 may be in order. Then an upgrade of my antique computer, an 18 month old iMAC.
Old 09-11-2013   #14
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 7568
Editing OK?: Yes

Just a suggestion and some thoughts. It seems the real problem to finding a easy solution is using the wrong camera. It is not compatible with existing systems. There are a number of Point and shoot cameras that will be as good, probably better, shoot a usable raw photo and be compatible with any Adobe program or most of the others that are available. Changing camera systems could give you much better photography in the future.
Best wishes to you.
golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013   #15
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
Just a suggestion and some thoughts. It seems the real problem to finding a easy solution is using the wrong camera. It is not compatible with existing systems. There are a number of Point and shoot cameras that will be as good, probably better, shoot a usable raw photo and be compatible with any Adobe program or most of the others that are available. Changing camera systems could give you much better photography in the future.
Best wishes to you.
Thanks for the thought, but I don't see that happening. I found a free solution for now. The problem isn't the camera it's CS4 (created before D5100 was on the market). If I upgrade my old PS all would work fine. That may be the direction I end up going, I just wanted to be sure there weren't any other options out there that may be less expensive.
Old 09-11-2013   #16
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Have you ever tried Pixelmator for the Mac? It has some nice features and will open RAW files from your D5100. You can download a free trial and it's only $15 if you decide to buy it.
dvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013   #17
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvest View Post
Have you ever tried Pixelmator for the Mac? It has some nice features and will open RAW files from your D5100. You can download a free trial and it's only $15 if you decide to buy it.
I hadn't heard of that. Thanks dvest, I'll give it a look.
Old 09-11-2013   #18
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 661924

I would recommend the following solution:

-ditch iPhoto
-get Adobe DNG converter (free)
-convert the NEF files to DNG while uploading from your memory card.
-upload the files to a named folder of your choice.
-open the DNG files with PS (any version) and edit.

I am aware that much has been written, both pro and con, about the use of DNG conversion. I find it to be very advantageous, even when not needed to allow access to files created by newer cameras.

see this article; it's old but still pertinent.
Old 09-11-2013   #19
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro70z28 View Post
I downloaded the FREE DNC from adobe, so at least I can get RAW or digital negative files into PS now. So, although it's not the perfect solution, it will have to do for now.
Post#11
Old 09-11-2013   #20
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 661924

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro70z28 View Post
Post#11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro70z28
I downloaded the FREE DNC from adobe, so at least I can get RAW or digital negative files into PS now. So, although it's not the perfect solution, it will have to do for now.
"Perfection is overrated."
Forgot who said that.

In any case this solution is as close to perfection as you can get without updating both your O/S and your version of PS.

blumesan is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: