Managing your files and sales
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 139
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Managing your files and sales

I use Lightroom for image management and so far, apart from it being a shoddy piece of sh*t, it's the only tool out there that does what I want in terms of editing and portfolio management.
I know I can use smart collections to track which image went to which site, but I need more than that. I need to track sales.
I don't sell a lot as a part time amateur, but I've just sold another today and I'm wondering how to best catalogue them, mainly for income purposes re: tax.
At the moment I have a spreadsheet, with a page for each POD site, the images listed on each site by filename and caption, and the date they sold and how much they sold for.
It's clumsy, but it's the best I can do for now.
Anyone got any tried and tested solution?

Canon 5D, Canon 5DSr, Canon 16-35 mm f/4 L USM EF, Canon 24-105 f/4.0 L USM IS EF, Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD, Canon 70-200 f2.8 L MK II USM IS EF, Canon 100mm f2.8 USM EF macro, Canon 2x Mk III converter, Canon 580 EX II flash, Yonghuo 568EX II flash, Sigma EM-140 DG EO-ETTL Macro Flash, Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 tripod with MHXPRO-BHQ2 ballhead. Manfrotto 790B Monopod.
boristhemoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 4549
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Managing your files and sales

To clarify, are you looking for solutions within lightroom? And did you find any solutions for this?

Within lightroom I know you can have free text fields where you could record sales but it wouldn't be convenient in terms being able to slice and dice sales.
sbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 7958959

Why is lightroom shoddy? Are you loading all your images into one catalog or do you have multiple catalogs?
Old 10-11-2013   #4
Llama

I now have multiple catalogs, but Lightroom is still slow, especially if you use noise reduction and a few dust bunnies. In that case, export 3-4 images and you run out of memory and have to reboot. It's buggy as hell, and has 'quirks'. Also and crucially, there are programs out there that don't have the library management and editing functions, but the image quality is better.
Now if you're one of these Adobe lovers who get angry when someone doesn't like their product, please go elsewhere for a fight. It is what it is on my machine.
If you were just curious, there ya go, I think it's shoddy, badly designed software and still has bugs from V 4. I long for the day a rival makes a better product.
Canon 5D, Canon 5DSr, Canon 16-35 mm f/4 L USM EF, Canon 24-105 f/4.0 L USM IS EF, Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD, Canon 70-200 f2.8 L MK II USM IS EF, Canon 100mm f2.8 USM EF macro, Canon 2x Mk III converter, Canon 580 EX II flash, Yonghuo 568EX II flash, Sigma EM-140 DG EO-ETTL Macro Flash, Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 tripod with MHXPRO-BHQ2 ballhead. Manfrotto 790B Monopod.
Old 10-12-2013   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 4387
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhemoggy View Post
I don't sell a lot as a part time amateur, but I've just sold another today and I'm wondering how to best catalogue them, mainly for income purposes re: tax.
At the moment I have a spreadsheet, with a page for each POD site, the images listed on each site by filename and caption, and the date they sold and how much they sold for.
It's clumsy, but it's the best I can do for now.
Given that, I would think your spreadsheet would be more than adequate until you started selling in volume.
Old 10-12-2013   #6
Llama

Well it took a bit of getting going, and streamlining, and using keywords in the photos to help out. But I'm pretty much there now thanks and it's working fine

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: