Epson 3880 log information.
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1774014
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Exclamation Epson 3880 log information.

Hi There,

I have just discovered the job information log that my Epson 3880 creates. I have a small problem now and I am embarrassed to ask it. Many years ago, I was quite fluent Excel and Access VBA. Now, not having used it for quite a while, I'm having trouble doing something quite basic.
In my example, I have the log file saved as an excel worksheet. Under the Ink used columns, is the amount used per colour with ml added. So, each cell is in the form of for example : 1.26ml.
Many years ago in my job, I used to manipulate strings constantly and would be able to extract the value without the ml tacked on and then rewrite the activecell contents in the form 1.26. I am using MS Excel 2007 on Win 7.
For the life of me now though, I am unable to do this. I have gone through the VBA references and googled this. I am so rusty.... Sad
Could someone please assist me in this.
I would like to keep track of my ink usage per sheet etc, this would enable me to do this...

Cheers

Onslow
Onslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 169270948
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Epson 3880 log information.

Is there a space between the numerical value and the text ml? If there is a space you can highlight the column, then clcik on the DATA menu, and select the Text to Columns button and follow the dialog prompts. This will split the numeric value and text into two separate columns and you can delete the column full of ml.
If there is no space between the numeric values and the ml, there is another function that will strip off the text but I do not recall what it is off the top of my head.
Cheers, Murray
mistermonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013   #3
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Is there a space between the numerical value and the text ml? If there is a space you can highlight the column, then clcik on the DATA menu, and select the Text to Columns button and follow the dialog prompts. This will split the numeric value and text into two separate columns and you can delete the column full of ml.
If there is no space between the numeric values and the ml, there is another function that will strip off the text but I do not recall what it is off the top of my head.
Cheers, Murray
Cheers Murray, unfortunately there is no space between the value and 'ml'...

Onslow
Old 09-04-2013   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 169270948
Editing OK?: Yes

OK, try this. Sort the column from lowest to highest number of characters lie as follows:
1ml
1.3ml
15.6ml
241.8ml
Then inset a blank column to the right of that column. Click on the first blank cell. Now go to the Formulas Menu and under the TEXT menu select LEFT. A window with two entry boxes will come up. In the TEXT field, click on the column to the left that you want to split and it will fill in that cell number. In the Num Chars field enter the number of characters that you need stripped of from the left side. and click OK. Now just do a Fill Down to fill that formula into all the rows where you need say 2 digits stripped. The repeat the process for 3, 4, etc digits until you are all done. There may be an easier command but I don't recall it at this time.
Cheers, Murray
mistermonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013   #5
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
OK, try this. Sort the column from lowest to highest number of characters lie as follows:
1ml
1.3ml
15.6ml
241.8ml
Then inset a blank column to the right of that column. Click on the first blank cell. Now go to the Formulas Menu and under the TEXT menu select LEFT. A window with two entry boxes will come up. In the TEXT field, click on the column to the left that you want to split and it will fill in that cell number. In the Num Chars field enter the number of characters that you need stripped of from the left side. and click OK. Now just do a Fill Down to fill that formula into all the rows where you need say 2 digits stripped. The repeat the process for 3, 4, etc digits until you are all done. There may be an easier command but I don't recall it at this time.
Cheers, Murray
Thanks for that. I tried your trim column suggestion and it works.
It's a bit klutzy but at least it gives me something to work on. I really want to automate the processing of the info though... You've given me a good start.

Onslow

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: