hard drive won't mount?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 14591
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default hard drive won't mount?

I have an internal hard drive Western Digital Green 1TB that has archived images on it that I can not get to mount onto an Apple computer(s) It was working fine a week ago when I pulled it out of storage then one evening after ejecting it from the firewire toaster unit I have not been able to get it to remount. I have tried mounting it to a different computer, I've tried Disk Utility I can see the disk just not mount the partition that has all the files in it. I have also installed it into one of the internal bays of the tower nothing seems to work.

Is there any way to get at this info? Or tricks or techniques to get a hard drive to mount? Finally let's say I erase and reformat this drive should I trust it ever again or is it gone? Granted I don't really care about the drive it's only 1TB and even though I do have all my info backed up I'm not entirely sure what all was on this particular drive.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks jeff

p.s. Operating System is Mac 10.8.4

________
____

Interior & Architectural Photographer

Washington DC Stock Images
archfotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 31591927
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: hard drive won't mount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by archfotos View Post
I have an internal hard drive Western Digital Green 1TB that has archived images on it that I can not get to mount onto an Apple computer(s) It was working fine a week ago when I pulled it out of storage then one evening after ejecting it from the firewire toaster unit I have not been able to get it to remount. I have tried mounting it to a different computer, I've tried Disk Utility I can see the disk just not mount the partition that has all the files in it. I have also installed it into one of the internal bays of the tower nothing seems to work.

Is there any way to get at this info? Or tricks or techniques to get a hard drive to mount? Finally let's say I erase and reformat this drive should I trust it ever again or is it gone? Granted I don't really care about the drive it's only 1TB and even though I do have all my info backed up I'm not entirely sure what all was on this particular drive.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks jeff

p.s. Operating System is Mac 10.8.4
I certainly wouldn't trust it again! That may not be an option though, as whatever defect has caused the partition to be unmountable might very well make it impossible to "reformat" it too.

I do not know what is available for a Mac in the way of data recovery software, but that looks to be where the main effort should be at this point. As a last resort, before doing anything that will erase or further damage you data, you can try a method that has the potential to at least save some of the images. But it is fairly technical, and you might want to try finding someone who can do this for you.

Put the disk on a Linux machine, and that can even be one that is running some form of live DVD distribution on a temporary basis. First you can try to recover the partition by mounting it on under Linux, but it is doubtful that would work any better there than elsewhere.

Lacking that you can read data from the raw disk. With some luck the partition table is still available and you can narrow that down to just a portion of the disk. Note that you do need another disk with enough space to hold the recovered data. You can then transfer data using the dd command to get it off the raw disk.

The trick after that is finding image files in the data, and that requires some programing skills. I don't know of any programs that do this, but there might be and doing a google search for programs that recover images from CF or SD cards might find them The tricks to doing it require that files be contiguous with no fragmentation, and then one does a serial search for the "magic number" at the start of a JPEG file, saving all data after that until another one is found.

It probably won't find everything, but might find a lot of stuff. (I've done this to damage CF cards, where virtually every file on the card was recovered.)

It's a royal pain, but if the images are important it is worth the effort.
Old 08-30-2013   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 316487
Editing OK?: Ask first

Did you solve your problem yet?
Not a Mac Guy but I just wondered if you tried the Repair Disk option on Mac to fix the corrupted file system?
Here a You Tube a kid made about it.

Please post what your fix was when you get it so we can learn too.

Thank You, good luck.
gumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 19116378
Editing OK?: No

As long as you are not getting an IO error you should be able to recover it. EaseUS Data Recovery is a software program I have used on both Hard Drives and CF Cards in the past with good success. A trick if the disc is running hot place it in the freezer for an hour or so then try to remount it. Sometimes cooling it off will do the trick once mounted start backing it up right away.
Old 09-03-2013   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 115

Thank you, Bobby, for the EaseUS Data Recovery suggestion. My daughter's 3 tb Seagate external HD had died and every program I tried failed except for TrueImage2013 which did recover quite a bit but the recovered files were all renamed and a lot were damaged. The EaseUS program basically reset the HD partitions, found almost all the files, and maintained their original file names and folders. Thank you for your suggestion.
Bob
Bob Kupecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #6
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261
Editing OK?: Yes

Another vote for Easus - I have used it successfully in the past as well.
Old 09-08-2013   #7
Vicuna

Just wanted to thank everyone for responding. I haven't been able to recover this disk's info I did learn some important lessons. First and foremost while I have always had redundant backups of all files I see that I was somewhat lax on what drive held what. This has been compounded by the ever increasing size of drives to hold just a bit more and definitely my fault for not being more meticulous with the spreadsheet documenting the files on each drive, that or making identical duplicate drives.

I looked at the software mentioned but heck that's basically the cost of replacing this drive and seeing that I'll be coping my backup files over to a new drive why buy software that will probably require an update cost the next time this happens.

So moving forward let's say I have a rather large hard drive with multiple folders that contain folders and the files creating deep roots. Is there an easy way to copy the complete hierarchical tree of text data from that drive that I could quickly past into a spreadsheet? On a mac 10.8

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Old 09-09-2013   #8
Vicuna

"So moving forward let's say I have a rather large hard drive with multiple folders that contain folders and the files creating deep roots. Is there an easy way to copy the complete hierarchical tree of text data from that drive that I could quickly past into a spreadsheet? On a mac 10.8"

To answer my own question in case it helps someone else, but I found out that the free program textwrangle does this very simply that I can then simple paste the text data into a spreadsheet to keep track of what is on each hard drive.

Old 09-09-2013   #9
Llama

Quote:
Is there an easy way to copy the complete hierarchical tree of text data from that drive that I could quickly past into a spreadsheet?
You would need the drive to be able to mount first wouldn't you? I think the cost of Bobby's suggestion for Easus would be worth it if you really need the files off that drive. Assuming you have no backup.

Otherwise, would an alternative like this work? The free version supposedly lets you create a copy of a failing disk image so you can recover the files. Its Mac only and I have not used it.
gumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013   #10
Llama

Oops sorry you posted back the same time I wrote a reply.
Glad you got it worked out.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: