Virus threat
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2381140
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Virus threat

Open my emails on my Mac today and was flooded with over 900 emails on 2 of my 3 email accounts. The Avast software poped up a window showing "Infection Detected" "win32:Beagle-DU"
I stopped receiving the mail and am running a full scan.
Can anyone give me some insite on this

As a man thinks, so he is
My Flickr
BobC164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 316487
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Virus threat

Hi Bob. Did you open any of those emails before the detection was made?

I am not a MAC user so this is just my humble opinion, but since no ones chimed in yet Ill just offer this. Hope it helps.
First off I highly doubt your in trouble since your on a Mac but...

Are you using an email client like Apple Mail or Mozilla Thunderbird or are you going through just your browser? Personally, I don't like saving mail to my hard drive and this is one of the reasons why.

Avast most likely picked up on the Trojan Downloader because its in Avast's database regardless of the OS. The win32:Beagle Trojan has been around for years and comes in several variations. Its in one or more of those emails regardless of whether your on a Mac or Windows, etc.
Even though I doubt it will affect a Mac, I would not risk that it wont. Usually the infection has to be initiated through an attachment being opened first.
1. I would obviously dump all the emails that you don't know who their from first (and I'm sure you did).
2. Scan your system again to see if you still get the warning. Problem is even though you may know who an email is from, That senders address could have been Spoofed so its not really from who you think. This way at least you can sort of narrow down where it came from. You may just dump all the mail if you feel its not needed.

Unless you opened one of the infected emails your safe. If you did open one and it was text only, your still most likely safe. I don't use the Preview mode on email either but then again I'm on Windows. If an email has an embedded file (like a photo) or embedded HTML page displaying, those displays could have the potential for embedded code in the background that could be infectious. Its the same as opening an infected attachment. I don't know if Sandboxing is possible on Macs but its the only way I look at email on my machine. Sandboxing your browser contains what ever is inside it so it does not affect your main system. Kinda like using a virtual machine.

Also, is your email service through a web server for your website, or is it through something like Gmail, Yahoo, etc. If through a paid service for a website, you may want to contact that company for more insight.

If everything I've said is useless to you, sorry. Gryph, where are you? Your the Mac Guru.
gumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 7324142
Editing OK?: Ask First

Bob wish I could offer some help I am not that familiar with mac.
Just don't do this, a little good humor.

_Provo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013   #4
Dromedary

I'm using the apple mail which comes with the Mac. I'm not a tech person so forgive me if I sound stupid. Avast found and deleted the threat but I scanned again and It shows agoin in the time machine backups. One thing I want to bring up is I have FM Fusion with a Windows XP virtual machine on this computer. Windows XP is not running but it does exist. haven't used Windows on this machine in years. All the new emails that are coming in are copies of old emails, wierd.

My Flickr
Old 08-21-2013   #5
Llama

Quote:
All the new emails that are coming in are copies of old emails, wierd.
You didn't mention yet who your email service is with. Apple Mail is just a program that you are using to grab the email with. Are you going through GoDaddy IMAP mail by chance? If so, that's a problem that several people have in regard to Apple Mail. I wont have an answer for that one. You will have to contact GoDaddy for it.

Otherwise sounds like maybe a settings problem? The quick fix would be to log in to your email through a Browser instead and manually delete all that mail. Then it should not reappear. Outlook will do that if not configured right on certain servers and even though you delete in Outlook, it is still there in the server.
Also may want to consider deleting those backups containing the old mail.

I'm sorry I don't know how to configure Apple Mail but you could Google that and check your settings for proper synchronization with the email server.

Again I don't personally advocate using programs like Outlook and Apple Mail for email use as I feel its not necessary for viewing email, unless you have a business that you must keep copies on your hard drive. Also, I wouldn't mess with firing up the XP virtual machine just to use email and the fact its there wont have any bearing on your current issue. That would only be of use if you have a Windows program that you need to run on the Mac. But hey if you enough ram, then what ever floats your boat.

Quote:
I'm not a tech person so forgive me if I sound stupid.
No worries, I'm just taking shots in the dark on this myself.
Old 08-21-2013   #6
Llama

Provo...that's how I feel when I'm gaming and getting the crap beaten out of me.
Old 08-22-2013   #7
Dromedary

Mail is thru my ISP, Comcast

I did log onto the mail thru a web browser and deleted all the old mail. Changed all my passwords. Checked the mail thru the browser the last 2 days all seems ok. Re-set up mail accounts this morning thru apple mail. So far so good.

My Flickr
Old 08-22-2013   #8
Llama

Glad to hear its working now.
Comcast has pretty good support if you have issues like this too. If an email still wont delete for you, they can do it from their end.
(You pay em enough, its the least they can do) lol

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: