Adapter for laptop SDHC card reader to read CF cards.
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6817414
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Adapter for laptop SDHC card reader to read CF cards.

Not sure if this is the right forum for this one, but if it isn't, perhaps the mods will move it.

I have a new laptop and, like most new laptops, it has a "card slot" designed for SDHC type cards. What I would like to know is whether or not anyone makes an adapter for these slots that will allow me to read my CF cards into my laptop without having to carry around a "card reader". No, I do not want to attach my camera to my laptop, so please do not suggest this. Thanks.

WesternGuy

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 3332465
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Adapter for laptop SDHC card reader to read CF cards.

Considering a CF card is larger than an SD card, I don't know how an adapter would be possible...at least not without it sticking out from the laptop all the time.
Old 08-16-2013   #3
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampler View Post
Considering a CF card is larger than an SD card, I don't know how an adapter would be possible...at least not without it sticking out from the laptop all the time.
It would only need to "stick out" when I was reading the CF card into my computer, e.g., uploading from my CF card to Lightroom. The rest of the time, it could reside in my laptop briefcase, or my photo backpack.

What I envision, is something that will plug into the SDHC port on my laptop and has the ability to insert CF cards into it. Maybe it is not possible because of the "electronics" involved - I don't know - which is why I am asking.

WesternGuy

Old 08-16-2013   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 3332465

I don't know about that, but not sure how that is better than carrying a card reader. Anyway, good luck finding what you need.
Old 08-16-2013   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 1224530
Editing OK?: Yes

Maybe this will help:
Adorama Secure Digital (SD or SDHC) to CompactFlash Memory Card Adapter SD/CFA

.... and acceptance is the answer to all my problems today.

Wayne
Dubyacee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #6
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampler View Post
I don't know about that, but not sure how that is better than carrying a card reader. Anyway, good luck finding what you need.
The card reader that I have is USB3 and has its own cable. If I can find an adapter that fits into the SDHC port on my laptop, then it will be smaller and I won't have to worry about losing a cable, and it won't tie up a USB3 port. It is really a matter of convenience more than anything else.

WesternGuy

Old 08-17-2013   #7
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubyacee View Post
This device will work if you want to adapt an SDHC card to a CF slot and maybe use it in your camera' s CF slot. What I am hoping to find is a device that I can plug my CF card into and then have the device plug into the SDHC port on my laptop. It would serve the same function as a card reader, except with such a device, I could download the image off my CF card through the SDHC port on my laptop. Maybe such a device does not exist - that is what I am hoping to find out - does it or doesn't it - exist. If it does, then where do I find one?

WesternGuy

Old 08-17-2013   #8
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 532809

Sorry a CF to SDHC adapter does not exist or at least I never seen one. I am pretty up to date with these kinds of stuff so if they do exist, I would have seen it somewhere. Also I can't image the design of this if it did exist because SD card are so small, it would need a cable coming out of the card to connect to an adapter.

If you are worried about loosing the usb cable on a card reader, the only other thing you can do is to buy a CF to USB adapter. It is small and you don't have to worry about loosing the USB cable.

This is what I use for my laptop

You will loose a USB slot though.
Old 08-18-2013   #9
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by superakuma View Post
Sorry a CF to SDHC adapter does not exist or at least I never seen one. I am pretty up to date with these kinds of stuff so if they do exist, I would have seen it somewhere. Also I can't image the design of this if it did exist because SD card are so small, it would need a cable coming out of the card to connect to an adapter.

If you are worried about loosing the usb cable on a card reader, the only other thing you can do is to buy a CF to USB adapter. It is small and you don't have to worry about loosing the USB cable.

This is what I use for my laptop
Amazon.com: PixelFlash USB 3.0 No-Bend Pins Compact Flash Memory Card Reader SuperSpeed CF Adapter: Computers & Accessories

You will loose a USB slot though.
superakuma, thanks for the reply and the CF to USB adapter. What I had envisioned would actually look something like the picture you posted except that instead of a USB end on it, it would have a "plug-in" capable of being plugged into the SDHC port on my laptop. The device that you have posted would probably do for what I had in mind, except it plugs into a USB3 port - no problem - I would only "lose it" when I was uploading images to my laptop. Right now, I have the same situation with the USB3 card reader that I have.

WesternGuy

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: