How do you know when to click "start download"?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 780
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default How do you know when to click "start download"?

Lots of sites have a "start download" button. I'm afraid to click it because of past bad experiences with malware.

How do you deal with this stuff?

Kathy Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 2689232
Default Re: How do you know when to click "start download"?

If you are not familiar or sure of the site...DON'T DOWNLOAD

Nikon D90, D50
18-200VR II, 70-300VR, 60f/2.8macro, 50f/1.4, 35f/1.8 and 18-70f/3.5-4.5
patrat236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #3
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Yes

The internet is the new wild west....Security is something that fly's right out the window with most people....The things you click on are only part of what gets you in trouble. Your "Browser History, Adobe Flash, and Java Scripts" all contribute to the safety of your browsing experience.

Take a look at the settings for Adobe Flash settings manager under Website Storage Settings panel

...Don't be suprised if you find your financial or banking institutions listed there..

Regards,

110yd
110yd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #4
Llama

CamelKarma: 316487
Editing OK?: Ask first

and what is it exactly your downloading that your getting infected? Hmmm?

Ya, I'll 2nd what the first two already said.
You never know where a link might take you even if you think your familiar with a site. That's why I like to surf sandboxed.
I'm sure you know to watch out for those sneaky check boxes that get your permission to install other stuff along with your free download, right?

I helped an old man who had 14 toolbars installed on his browser. He had no clue how any of them got there. All he did was install some free card games. LOL
gumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6817414
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumper View Post
and what is it exactly your downloading that your getting infected? Hmmm?

Ya, I'll 2nd what the first two already said.
You never know where a link might take you even if you think your familiar with a site. That's why I like to surf sandboxed.
I'm sure you know to watch out for those sneaky check boxes that get your permission to install other stuff along with your free download, right?

I helped an old man who had 14 toolbars installed on his browser. He had no clue how any of them got there. All he did was install some free card games. LOL
Kathy, I would also vote for what has been said so far. Last weekend, my wife had something installed on her computer that kept hijacking her browser and trying to sell her something. We still do not know how it got there and when. It took me the better part of 4 to 6 hours to get rid of it - finally. So I would reinforce the suggestion, know what you are downloading.

This reminds of the things I used to tell my kids when they were little - "don't accept rides from strangers" - todays' version of that is - "don't accept downloads from strangers" .

WesternGuy

P.S. I found this that might be of interest to you - http://www.howtogeek.com/168691/how-...free-software/

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
WesternGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 38

I have discovered that even some reputable sites have multiple download buttons, only one of which is relevant to the program you want. They are all colored green, in most cases, but you have to read carefully to see whether or not the download button pertains to the program you desire.

Also, I have discovered that many programs have two install options. One is for the user to accept all standard options and the second is an advanced option that allows you to select or deselect certain toolbars and secondary programs that you do not want. I always select this option BUT I have discovered that some still sneak in toolbars or other programs unannounced and it is up to you to discover what they are. That is why I use a program like Revo Uninstaller Pro. It allows me to not only remove the program but all the insidious leftovers that the Windows uninstaller fails to eradicate. These are both in the Windows Registry and folders on your C drive [main drive].

I have seen some reputable companies that supply software downloads with multiple download buttons. You really need to be careful, making certain you download the program you want and not another program that will install malware or unwanted 3rd party software. This is a major factor in my decision to shy away from shareware or freeware sites. It is unfortunate but I hate spending a couple minutes installing a program and then spending another hour or so removing all the nasty add-ons that have no relation to the original program.

PhotoGene47 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: