USB 3 & USB 2 Question
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 8577
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default USB 3 & USB 2 Question

A question for those more tech savvy than myself.

I recently decided to increase the size of my external hard drive and its corresponding backup drive. I purchased 2 Toshiba 3 TB drives which are USB 3. My HP computer is of the USB 2 variety running Windows 7 Home Premium w/service pack 1. I was under the impression that connecting USB 3 to USB 2 would only affect the speed at which files were transferred.

The problem I am having is that with the USB 3 drive connected my computer does not want to move past the opening blue start screen but when I disconnect the USB 3 drive the computer moves past the blue start screen and goes to the Windows 7 screen for choosing a user desktop.

Right now my solution is to leave the computer on or unplug the USB 3 drive when starting/restarting the computer and then plugging it back in after the computer has started. This isn't terribly practical but it seems to work.

The computer recognizes the USB 3 drive but won't start with it plugged in.

My question is whether this is normal when connecting a USB 3 drive to a USB 2 computer or am I missing a setting that needs to be made?

Any thoughts or ideas?

Mithras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525
Default Re: USB 3 & USB 2 Question

You may have to go into your BIOS settings and look at how boot drive is setup. You want to make sure your computer won't try to boot from a removable disc.
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 7324142
Editing OK?: Ask First

How many usb devices do you have plugged in? Is this drive an externally powered USB drive?

This is the drive I have is yours the same?
_Provo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 7324142

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemlin View Post
You may have to go into your BIOS settings and look at how boot drive is setup. You want to make sure your computer won't try to boot from a removable disc.
*previous comment removed I misread* Sounds like you are correct the user mentioned a blue startup opposed to the blue screen of death.
_Provo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6817414
Editing OK?: No

Just to ensure that I understand your situation - you have a 3TB USB3 drive attached to a USB2 port and your HP computer will not boot properly with it plugged in at start up. In the past, I have had two Western Digital USB3 HDs plugged into a USB 2 hub and they worked quite well. They were just too slow, so I had a USB3 Board put in my machine and it sure helps, let me tell you.

A few questions:

1. Are you using the 64 bit version of Win 7? See here for some background info - http://www.hgst.com/tech/techlib.nsf...finalwebv2.pdf

2. Are you plugging the 3 TB hard drive directly into the computer, or into a hub? I have a couple of USB2 hubs on my ASUS ProArt monitor, but my machine will not boot properly when a flash drive is in one of the ports. Go figure?

3. Have you raised this issue with HP?

Hope this helps.

WesternGuy

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013   #6
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Similar problem with WD 2tb usb 3.0 HD with usb 2 ports. I started using front usb ports to allow unplugging the drive for reboots. Just added a usb 3.0 card to my computer. Works as intended now.
Darthsir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013   #7
Llama

CamelKarma: 8577

Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

Zemlin-I checked the bios and it shows the computer is booting to the internal hard drive. Prior to getting the Toshiba USB 3 drives I had two Western Digital USB 2 drives plugged in and did not have any issues.

_Provo_-I have two external hard drives plugged into the back of the computer. The Toshiba USB 3 drives I purchased look very similar to yours. Yes they are externally powered.

WesternGuy-Question 1: I am currently using Windows 7 Home Premium on a 32-bit computer. The information in the link gives me a lot to think about. I do have a 64-bit laptop but have not tried the USB 3 drive with that computer. Question 2: I am plugging the drive directly into one of the ports on the back of the computer. There is no hub involved. Question 3: No, I have not raised the issue with HP as the computer is old enough there is no warranty and based on past experience any solution HP may suggest is likely to amount to the cost of a new computer; in which case if I could convince the family bank to do so, I would upgrade to a new computer.

Darthsir-Due to my set up i.e. access to outlets plugging into the front ports would be even less practical than unplugging from the back ports. I will have to do some thinking about adding a USB 3 board. WesternGuy also did that and indicated it worked for him.

Again, thanks for the suggestions and ideas folks.

Have a happy day!
Old 08-09-2013   #8
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 941919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
I will have to do some thinking about adding a USB 3 board. WesternGuy also did that and indicated it worked for him.
Just Do It. (Sorry Nike)
You'll be amazed at the speed.
Old 08-11-2013   #9
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 4763

I believe I read somewhere that Windows 7 32 bit has a problem with drives bigger than 2tb but the 64 bit version is ok. Cant remember what the problem was or where I saw it now or what the fix was but you may find it with a Google.

I highly recommend putting in a usb3 board though if its not a laptop you have, they are very cheap and easy to fit. I got one with an extra pair of front sockets for about £15 off eBay and the file transfer speed is much much better than via a usb2 port with any usb3 device ( I have a 2tb external drive and 64Gb usb stick and they are several times quicker than before )

Nikon D7000, Nikon D90, Nikon 300mm f4, Nikon 80-200 f2.8, Nikon 50mm f1.8, Nikon 18-200VR, Nikon 55-200VR, Nikon 28-105, Sigma 150 f2.8, Samyang 85mmf1.4, Tokina 12 -24 f4, , 50mm f2.8 ElNIkor and several more.
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #10
Llama

CamelKarma: 316487
Editing OK?: Ask first

Did you find the solution to your problem yet? You didn't mention what model HP you are using, could you give more detail?

There have been several people report their systems having post issues when usb 3 drives are connected.

A bios update may or may not help. A USB 3 card install would be a really good idea as mentioned earlier.

Does your bios have a feature under Integrated Peripherals called USB Storage function?
If so it will be enabled by default. It allows the detection of USB storage devices, including USB flash drives and USB hard drives during the POST.
Disable it and see if it makes any difference. You should still have the ability to use your external drives. You can always re-enable it in the bios.

Edit: This is just a disclaimer about messing around in your Bios. Disabling USB Storage function should not affect mouse/keyboard function. If in a really Freak coincidence it does (its a Microsoft generic warning) don't panic, you can reset the bios manually to restore functionality. Unplug the computer, pull the coin battery out for 5 minutes or use the jumper to drain the capacitors.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: