What do you guys suggest for online backup storage for photos
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 6775162
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default What do you guys suggest for online backup storage for photos

I recently had some bad luck with my external hard drive (only 5 months old). This was my one and only source of back up for jpeg, psd, tiff, and dng (along with LR backups). My son is currently trying to recover all the photos I had stored on the EHD. If he is successful I am seriously looking at a good online storage instead of waiting for something like this to happen again. What do you guys recommend? I'm a little fearful of putting my image files online but I don't want to go through this again.

I truly appreciate any and all advice as far as storage is concerned. One that looks good to me is JustCloud. Has anyone heard of this storage option and can you give me any advice as far as it is concerned? I need something fairly cheap as I am currently unemployed and there is no extra money really. I just don't want to have to go through the fear of losing my hard work ever again.

Thank you very much

Old 07-21-2013   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1036
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: What do you guys suggest for online backup storage for photos

Firstly, see if you can retrieve your photos etc without voiding your warranty

What was the bad luck you had with the hard drive, was it dropped etc or did it fail?

Can you replace it under warranty ?

If that fails, then investigate the cloud.
blackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013   #3
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 6775162

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
Firstly, see if you can retrieve your photos etc without voiding your warranty

What was the bad luck you had with the hard drive, was it dropped etc or did it fail?

Can you replace it under warranty ?

If that fails, then investigate the cloud.
It's giving me the "files are corrupted and unreadable" message. At first it was just the folders inside, then it became the entire hard drive. I'm hoping I will be able to retrieve the photos. I've bought a replacement EHD but I still want to investigate the online storage.
MrsMossMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013   #4
Llama

CamelKarma: 58067

online storage? the one I prefer, and use constantly, is Photobucket. it's a free storage/sharing site for pics of numerous formats. some, however, are not able to be uploaded without you converting them to an accepted format. I usually store mine as gif, png, and jpeg, though there are other formats available.
you also have flicker, however I know little about it. another method is to use a site such as dropbox.
for Photobucket , you may want to use a premium account as it provides for you to be able to store original size pics and not some reduced sizes when the file is large. you can also make all folders private so as to prevent anyone seeing them regardless of account type, free or paid.
dropbox also has a premium account which provides for larger storage space.
4shared is also a place to store zipped files, and does not require sharing, though they like you to allow it.
the last possibility is to put them on cd/dvd/Blu-ray discs in zip format. storing them in a high dpi also allows a better image later, so 600 is better than 300.
chessmaster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 7324142

Well there's paid and free options example if you are a google customer you
get I believe is 25gb of online storage using the Google Drive you can choose to pay for more storage if needed.

there's also flickr which offers a limited storage free based and then
there's the paid version which gives you more storage.

Now if you would like a solution where you can backup and store every
type of content you would like then I would suggest something like Dropbox
I actually have a dropbox account which I use more for business usage but I also store image folders the service can get pricey but it's very reliable, encrypted as well as redundant since it's cloud based.
_Provo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013   #6
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMossMaster View Post
I recently had some bad luck with my external hard drive (only 5 months old). This was my one and only source of back up for jpeg, psd, tiff, and dng (along with LR backups). My son is currently trying to recover all the photos I had stored on the EHD. If he is successful I am seriously looking at a good online storage instead of waiting for something like this to happen again. What do you guys recommend? I'm a little fearful of putting my image files online but I don't want to go through this again.

I truly appreciate any and all advice as far as storage is concerned. One that looks good to me is JustCloud. Has anyone heard of this storage option and can you give me any advice as far as it is concerned? I need something fairly cheap as I am currently unemployed and there is no extra money really. I just don't want to have to go through the fear of losing my hard work ever again.

Thank you very much
Yes,storing photos in EHD is risky worldwide as there are chances for not getting them back.....So using online storage is best now a days...You need not worry as there are ways to keep them secure through paid services....
I have not heard about Justcloud because i prefer using Tucktail.com .It is secure, affordable way to access all your documents, photos, music. They also offer 24/7 support service.
cathyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013   #7
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 8523012
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No

Just storing: justcloud backup
Sensitive information: Spideroak
Storing+showing: smugmug
Old 07-28-2013   #8
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 23

Have a look at " Mega " at https://mega.co.nz/
It starts at 50GB free!
Good luck in retrieving your photos
snooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013   #9
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 322787
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMossMaster View Post
I need something fairly cheap as I am currently unemployed and there is no extra money really.
The issue is not the cloud provider's charges, it is your ISPs data charges. If you create a significant number of images each month you will blow out your plan and incur penalties.

Taking that into account, plus an initial load (in my case over a Terabyte), online storage won't work for most people. A second hard drive for on-site backup will likely be less expensive and certainly much faster for retrieval should you ever need to.

This may or may not apply to your specific case, so just figure out how many GB per month you create and take it from there.
serendipitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013   #10
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Yes

A couple years ago I lost a 3-month old 500GB external hard drive, then within 18 hours also lost my motherboard! Never again will I depend on an external hard drive! It was of course replaced under warranty but the data which had been on it was gone. And I had two internal hard drives running in Raid 0 Stripe configuration (read and write to both alternating, for better speed), so that was more stuff lost. I went to Dropbox and have never looked back.
You can get a free 2GB account to check it out, but I now have 100 GB for $9.99/month. It has a special folder called Photos which houses a nice piece of gallery software, super way to let clients preview pictures, just send them a link.
Has some other nice features as well if you opt to use them, including one that's really neat - automatic detection of smartphone pics within the wireless network at your home, and then automatic copy over to your hard drive. Mine does that for both my wife's and my phones, really neat. It's configurable, you don't have to do that, of course - and if you install on your smartphone, download of all files to your phone is at your option, not automatic, on demand folder by folder as you wish.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: