What do you guys suggest for online backup storage for photos - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013   #11
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6617978
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: What do you guys suggest for online backup storage for photos

Raid 0? No way. For true backup protection you need a Raid 1 configuration (mirroring). Hard drives are very inexpensive these days and there are several external cases available that allow you to swap out HDDs. If one goes bad you simply replace it, reformat it and reinstall the lost data from the mirrored disc.

I had an external drive by Western Digital that failed. I sent it out for data recovery (phew!) and replaced the drive with another WD external. I went online to do some research and found that these drives have a bad reputation. There were too many people complaining about lost data. I continued my research and educated myself about redundant backup systems and now work strictly with Raid 1 back ups.

CRU Toughtech Duo - $270
Seagate 1T internal HDD (x2) - $90 each

So for $500 I get a 1T redundant mirrored backup. Yes it's more expensive than a $200 2T external drive but if one drive fails on my system I simply replace it for $90 without loss of data. The other way I would have to replace a $200 drive AND pay to (hopefully) retrieve the lost data ($90 when I had to do it). Do the math and you'll see why I would rather pay more up front for peace of mind.

Never again will I go back to the other way of storing data.
Tat2Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013   #12
F1 Camel

My feelings on cloud based storage is that it is great for storing secondary (off-site) backups, but you should still have the primary (on-site) files available on your own system.
Old 07-28-2013   #13
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 8546975
Editing OK?: Yes

No on-line storage for my images.. I'm a little old fashioned that way and like the convenience and control of my own stuff..

I use an external as back-up.. the key is "back-up", not your primary storage.

I have a 2 Tb SATA hard drive in my computer just for images (the system files are all on a 500Gb drive) and a 2 Tb WD external that automatically backs up all image files. All are on a protected circuit.

Another key is to keep on top of your image files and get rid of those that are multiples, marginal, or will likely never be seen for whatever reason...

If you are really paranoid you can keep a third External in a safe location and download/update every month or two. I actually do have one of those in a fireproof safe but I think it may be overkill for most of us.

Flikr
Larry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013   #14
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 24288
Editing OK?: Ask First

I don't want to give "control" of my images to anyone (on the cloud), so I have 2 large external HDD that I back up to. As I go along, I burn DVDs of all my images, (yes, it's tedious, but done as I go along, it's fine) which all in all gives me a nice warm secure feeling! I initially bought two EHDD, one each from two major brands to test reliability - one failed so I bought another of the surviving brand - WD - (and actually a third - Buffalo - so I still had 2 different brands, just in case). It's all just insurance, and for me, retaining control.
Glennn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #15
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask first

Yes, sometimes even Raids can get corrupted. It seems to me that if the controller fails, it can damage the file structure on the raid - so always best to keep a separate backup. I have seen it happen at work. Also, lighting strike or surge could destroy both. As for online, if you use a true paid online backup system, your data is (supposedly) secure and not available for sale. I use Carbonite, but man is it slow to upload.
DaveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #16
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 182

For what it worth, my system is 3 external drives, all with identical files written to them, DVD's burnt with images & labelled, DropBox & the harddrive on the computer itself.
I also do not delete off my card until I've confirmed that at least two of the other locations are 'good', but the same images exist everywhere. Paranoid? Yes. Redundant? Maybe. But, as my ability to pay bills is based on being able to sell images, I don't want to risk losing any of them.
70-200/2.8
buncha other stuff
and a BAAAAD case of Gadget Acquisition Syndrome!
DogShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #17
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 322787
Constructive Critique?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
It seems to me that if the controller fails, it can damage the file structure on the raid - so always best to keep a separate backup.
Very true. The tertiary "backup" of often referred to as an archival copy.
serendipitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #18
F1 Camel

Look at it this way... Cloud based storage is for archival purposes. After all, as DaveL mentioned, transfer rates are slow. However the companies that store files for end users have redundant backups in place themselves. So in reality there potentially are half a dozen copies of an image file.

1) the original working file on your hard drive
2) the backup file on your external backup drive
3) the mirrored backup on your Raid backup system
4) the archived file on the cloud service's primary hard drive
5) the backup of the archived file on the cloud service's backup drive
6) the mirrored backup of the archived file on the cloud service's Raid system

So you see, cloud service may not be that bad a system for archival files. The only warning is that storage services only offer blind backups. meaning if you inadvertently delete a file from their system that deletion will get mirrored onto their backup system.
Old 10-10-2013   #19
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Justcloud is a good solution but they don't give but a couple MB with their free trial. Then prices go up, but still pretty cheap.

Have a look at kisercloud.com unlimited data backup for 5 bucks a month. If you send them a email they will give you a even cheaper rate. Plus they have a online storage plan that starts at 512GB which is very nice. I talked them down on price for this as well, not much more than what you are paying 10 dollars for 100Gb

You can share your images online as well for your clients.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: