USB card reader
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default USB card reader

I've been suffering for months with incredibly slow transfer speeds from my compact flash card reader to my computer. So I splurged on an internal card reader model that I saw on newegg that came recommended: AFT PRO-55U All-in-one USB 2.0 Card Reader

Here's the link: Newegg.com - AFT PRO-55U All-in-one USB 2.0 Card Reader

Now, I wanted USB 3.0, but my motherboard doesn't have internal USB 3.0 ports. So I went with this 2.0 reader. But really I'm very happy with the speeds now. The 5D Mark III camera that I have produces pretty large files, and it was taking me literally 90 minutes to transfer the pics of a half-full card. Now the files just fly by. I don't know what was wrong with the old reader (maybe it was USB 1.0).

Anyway, I thought I'd pass this along because I'm finding that a little change likes this make me breathe a bit easier about snapping photos in the first place, knowing there's not some painful process on the back end as I get the photos from my camera to my computer.

Oh, and by the way, I also just picked up another 4 TB Seagate hard drive from Newegg. They had a sale (I think it was a 1-day sale) on the thing for $125. Can't believe how large hard drives have become, but I'm very glad.

JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013   #2
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: USB card reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDArt View Post
I've been suffering for months with incredibly slow transfer speeds from my compact flash card reader to my computer. So I splurged on an internal card reader model that I saw on newegg that came recommended: AFT PRO-55U All-in-one USB 2.0 Card Reader

Here's the link: Newegg.com - AFT PRO-55U All-in-one USB 2.0 Card Reader

Now, I wanted USB 3.0, but my motherboard doesn't have internal USB 3.0 ports. So I went with this 2.0 reader. But really I'm very happy with the speeds now. The 5D Mark III camera that I have produces pretty large files, and it was taking me literally 90 minutes to transfer the pics of a half-full card. Now the files just fly by. I don't know what was wrong with the old reader (maybe it was USB 1.0).

Anyway, I thought I'd pass this along because I'm finding that a little change likes this make me breathe a bit easier about snapping photos in the first place, knowing there's not some painful process on the back end as I get the photos from my camera to my computer.

Oh, and by the way, I also just picked up another 4 TB Seagate hard drive from Newegg. They had a sale (I think it was a 1-day sale) on the thing for $125. Can't believe how large hard drives have become, but I'm very glad.
You can add USB 3.0 functionality if you have a open PCIE slot on your motherboard. There are a number of USB 3.0 controller cards that will get you up to 5Gb/s speeds.

Regards,

110yd
110yd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013   #3
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: USB card reader

I just added a usb 3.0 card to my computer. My external HDs are usb 3.0 and I added a usb 3.0 card reader too. The usb 3.0 card was only $20.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: