Backup storage for photos
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 7568
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Backup storage for photos

Is this a good backup system for photos and is it easy to use: Thermaltake BlacX Duet Hard Drive Docking Station Review I thought some of you might have much better experience and advice for me. I'm assuming I can just back up photos from my laptop to both hard drives for safe keeping while on the road. Then when back home they can be copied to my desktop. Is it as easy as that?
Thanks for looking and best wishes.

Old 07-18-2013   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 4549
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Backup storage for photos

I backup my files onto bare hard drives using a docking like the one you linked in your post. The docking station is much more convenient for backups compared with external drives as you don't need to worry about a zillion different AC adapters. The disks also take up much less space -- I just put them in an anti-static bag (I have enough hard drives dedicated to backups that I need a spreadsheet to track them).

However, I wouldn't use a docking station while on the road. Instead I would get laptop external drives which can be powered from USB alone without requiring an additional AC adapter.
sbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 58067
Editing OK?: Ask First

i'd use a 3 tb external just to store them. but if you have so many, store them on bluray or dvds in zip format. jpeg compresses 10% at 300 dpi but 600 is better, while tif does not suffer any loss. if still being edited, choose png. the higher the dpi the better the image quality later.
chessmaster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013   #4
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 7568
Editing OK?: Yes

sbay and chessmaster; Thanks for your help and the advice, I really appreciate it.
Best wishes to you/

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: