Hard drive storage - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013   #11
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 418649
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes

Most modern drives are sata or Sata II. Your computer utilizes an Sata interface to support these drives. Esata uses the same interface with a different connector. To support esata, you need an esata card which is simply a connector converter. If you computer is ide (an older interface) you will need a card that provides the esata electronics. Esata is as fast as your local drives connected with Sata.
USB 3 is much faster than usb and is included with most newer computers. I have my latest enclosure connected this way. It is certainly fast enough for me.
The specs of the two drive enclosure state that you need drive multiplier technology to support the esata connection for two drives. This is true if you have them configured as separate drives. When connected as RAID1 your computer sees the two drives as one, making the multiplier spec unnecessary.
USB 2 or 3 have no trouble with the two drives. That is why I configure the new drives using usb then switch to esata after turning on RAID1.
This sounds complex but is actually very simple in practice. Takes about 10 minutes to assemble and configure the drives. Use the quick configure (format) option.
The big advantage over using a single internal drive for backup is twofold. You aren't filling up your primary drive with data and you're getting data duplication from your drive enclosure.
The older Vantec enclosures only permitted 1 tb drives so make sure you get the newest one.
Using two older and one new enclosure, I now have 5 Tb of data storage available at my computer.
When I change to a new machine I only have to be concerned with my C drive. The rest just plug in.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013   #12
F1 Camel

All the above said, I would love to find an affordable solution that housed 6 drives and allowed me to configure 3 pairs each as RAID1. So far this has eluded me. BTW make sure you only configure as RAID 1 as this is the most secure configuration.
Old 07-28-2013   #13
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 7568
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Hard drive storage

Thanks for the advice Poloman that is a big help.
golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013   #14
F1 Camel

I just read an article comparing esata and usb 3. Usb 3 should be quicker but in real life is about the same as esata. If you're using a laptop, you may not have either option open to you. You may have to use one of the usb 2 enclosures or buy what is called network storage. I haven't researched the network storage option. As I recall, it was expensive and may not have offered RAID1.
Another thing to consider is off site storage. The ideal is redundant local storage plus off site. This protects you from fire and theft.
Old 07-28-2013   #15
Dromedary

poloman; I do have usb 3 on my laptop as it is pretty new, don't know about esata or even how to check, I do have 1 sata hard drive for my primary C drive.
Thanks again, you have provided a wealth of information for me.
Old 07-28-2013   #16
F1 Camel

Glad to be of help. I just added to my enclosure collection so I recently did some research to see if there was a better game in town.
BTW I have used both Amazon and Newegg as my sources. I used Amazon for this one.
Old 08-04-2013   #17
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 67988
Editing OK?: Ask first

I have a Western Digital "MyBook" with 2TB and a Transcend portable with 1TB. They beat backing up to discs.
steveissak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #18
Dromedary

Steve; I have a 1T passport that I use as my main drive when traveling, but decided I wanted some redundancy and recording to two drives at the same time seems like a good way.
Best wishes.
Old 08-04-2013   #19
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 67988
Editing OK?: Ask first

Western Digital's external drives are very good and reliable.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: