Successful hard drive recovery!
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 16585
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Successful hard drive recovery!

My power supply burned up, frying every component in the PC. This included two Seagate hard drives - 2 gigs and 1 gig. Thought I'd lost everything. The components on the drive's circuitry were charred black.

Well, I found a place in Canada that sells refurbished hard drive boards. Every drive has an 8 pin chip that stores exclusive info for that particular drive. So you send them the board, they transfer the bios info onto a replacement board, and send the board back. You don't even have to send the drive!

Well, I got the boards back today, and both drives work!!! Almost three gigs of data recovered. It was only $50 for each board, and a little extra for overnight shipping got them back in the USA in one day even with customs.

Amazing service, and amazing value for recovering your data. I wanted to post here in case anyone finds themselves in a similar predicament. You just might be able to recover that data even if there is damage to the electronics of the drive.
Hard Drive PCB - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 7200.9 7200.8 Maxtor DiamondMax Plus | PCB Solution

Western Digital stores this info on the controller chip, so its a lot more difficult to swap chips with those drives. But for Seagate, this worked fine.

rob61 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: