Photoshop CS6 will not open files.
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 41250
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Photoshop CS6 will not open files.

Photoshop CS6 will not open photo files of any kind using any method. If I reboot my computer it will allow me to open and work on one file but then I cannot open another file unless I reboot again. I've tried all the usual remedies: reset preferences, start without plugins, checked video card driver, even reinstalled and the problem is still there. Also have run antivirus, antimalware, etc. I've checked on Photoshop/adobe forums for Photoshop. Seems others have had this problem but they show no definite solution.

Anyone had this problem and found a solution?

Old 07-06-2013   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 316487
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Photoshop CS6 will not open files.

I've read a little bit about this problem and it seems to be involving those who are using Creative Cloud apps/installs with CS6. Is this what you are talking about?
Does this happen if your in your Administrative Account as well as non admin user account? Also need more details as to your system. What OS?

Edit: Are you CAR141 on the Adobe forum?
gumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013   #3
Vicuna

I don't know about its being related to CC apps/installs unless CS6 updates are somehow related to the CC new version. I've had CS6 since January and have used it with no problems. I'm the only user of this computer. Whatever that means as related to being administrator and only user. I am CAR141 on the Adobe forum. OS is Windows 7Pro.
Sing141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1495882
Editing OK?: Ask First

Did this problem start recently and after you done an Adobe Automatic Update? If so you need to go back and restore the program BEFORE the update. Should have a history of updates and an option to go back.
Old 07-07-2013   #5
Llama

Administrator account. To keep it short, You log on to your user account with full rights to make changes to your system without Win7 asking for the Admins Password. The only posts I read about similar problems involved Adobe CC but apparently your not using any of that.

According to your post at Adobe, It was working fine with LR 4.4 then it went wonky. You reinstalled CS6 and upgraded to LR 5 and it worked again for a while then PS started acting up again.

Hmm I am leaning towards what Chris Cox told you.
What specifically did you do for a Virus scan? You cant just rely on one product to scan your system when something like this occurs and its a long tedious process of steps.
Sometimes doing a complete reinstall of the OS is faster and will let you start all over again, but of course that doesn't tell you what the real cause of failure is either. Sorry I don't have more than that to offer.
Old 07-07-2013   #6
Vicuna

Since I’m the only user of this computer I don’t have an admin password.
Virus scan/Malware scan - Scanned with MalwareBytes-found nothing, Scanned with BitDefender-found nothing. Scans were done with one or the other disabled so only one was running at a time. Problem started before updating photoshop. I updated hoping it would fix the problem but it didn't so I reinstalled CS6 over my previous version. That seemed to fix things but after opening and reviewing a few files in CS6 the problem reappeared so that I could only open ONE file after rebooting and could only open another ONE file if I rebooted again.
Old 07-07-2013   #7
Llama

Those are good products but its not as thorough as one would think since there are so many things floating around out there. No one product can catch all.

So a shot in the dark here. Since I take it "you cant roll back the OS" to a point prior to this starting (or did you try) what other things did you install prior to this problem? Did you install any image viewers, Video players, Music players (even iTunes/bonjour), etc.etc. that you can uninstall to see if that's causing the hang up? Like Chris pointed out, its possible there's something intervening.
Old 07-07-2013   #8
Llama

Quote:
Since I’m the only user of this computer I don’t have an admin password.
You may want to consider making a password anyway. Its not just for keeping other physical people off your computer.
If you end up doing a system recovery/reinstalling Win7 you might consider creating a separate User Account that's Non Administrative. Its just a little bit harder for things to install on you system unless you give your permission making you a little bit more secure than without. Not lots more, but a little bit.
Old 07-07-2013   #9
Vicuna

Thanks for suggestions. I don't really want to add a password since I've been using this computer for almost two years without one. If I load or change software or run a scan I'm always asked to okay it. Sometimes I am told admin approval must be given and then, clicking okay, a window opens where I can give approval as administrator.

As to the CS6 problem, I have tried most of the suggestions I found on various forums including Adobe forums. Can't do a system restore without deleting Bitdefender from my computer. Could run system restore from safe mode but then I wouldn't be able to return to the former registry if that didn't work or if it caused problems. Funny how those antivirus companies hold on. Bitdefender isn't as bad as Norton to remove. Anyway, removed bit defender to where I could successfully do a system restore. Then ran Malwarebytes, exited that, downloaded Kaspersky and ran that, removed that, reloaded Bitdefender and ran that again. Each found a few adware items. Then rebooted computer and now Photoshop seems to be working and loading files normally. But I'm waiting to see what happens since it worked for a while after I reinstalled CS6 earlier.
Old 07-08-2013   #10
Llama

Quote:
I don't really want to add a password since I've been using this computer for almost two years without one.
Convenience or security, you decide which is more important.

So you were infected and you got it cleaned out finally. Glad to hear it worked out.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: