Photoshop CS6 will not open files. - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013   #11
Llama

CamelKarma: 316487
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Photoshop CS6 will not open files.

Quote:
Could run system restore from safe mode but then I wouldn't be able to return to the former registry if that didn't work
You can return to the same place you are now if you create a new point before rolling back. Safe Mode wont automatically create one.
gumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #12
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 41250
Editing OK?: Yes

After doing a system restore as described two days ago and running my anti-virus and malware which is Bitdefender and MalwareBytes plus running the Kaspersky trial ant-ivirus/ant-imalware my Photoshop CS6 was working again -- FOR TWO DAYS. Now the same problem is back. I can't open any type of photo file in Photoshop unless I reboot the computer. Then I can work on one file only before it will no longer open a file. I have again gone through all the normal suggestions - trashing and redoing preferences, starting without loading plugins, etc. This time when it quit working I was using Photoshop and had opened and worked on several photos. Then I tried to open another file and it would no longer open any file. I was not on the internet at the time and have made no software additions/changes since it did start working two days ago. I would think that whatever is causing the problem would be there or triggered right away and not after being able to successfully open either one or several files. It's like rebooting resets the ability to open a file and opening that first file makes it impossible to open any more.
Sing141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013   #13
Llama

CamelKarma: 316487
Editing OK?: Ask first

What kind of computer do you have? HP, Dell, home built, etc.
Sounds like biting the bullet and doing a clean reinstall of Windows is your best resolution now as I don't know whats going on with your system. Its as if its getting reinfected all over again, or something like that.

If you want to just nuke it and start with a clean system, I can help you through it if I know what you have.
gumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013   #14
Vicuna

I posted here hoping someone may have had a similar problem and found a solution. I'm not so sure it is a virus or malware. If it was I'd think it would still be there once it has done its thing and I could not reboot and then again be able to use Photoshop. Now, after rebooting, I can load and edit files in photoshop for some time and then suddenly can't. I can do anything and everything normally in LR5 with no problem. Anyway I want to continue looking for a while before I go so far as a clean install of Windows and reloading all my software.
Old 07-12-2013   #15
Llama

CamelKarma: 58067
Editing OK?: Ask First

I would contact adobe tech forums, not the regular forums, and see if someone has had the same problem and how it was resolved. otherwise ask about it there.
chessmaster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013   #16
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 9679634
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sing141 View Post
After doing a system restore as described two days ago and running my anti-virus ............... which is Bitdefender .........
Suggestion: completely uninstall Bitdefender and see what happens.

I used Bitdefender for some years until a couple of months back when I started getting all sorts of problems across the board.
My own local investigations and Google searches pointed in the direction of Bitdfender and its latest updates.
I uninstalled it - problems ALL went away.

Using AVG at the moment - still no problems.
moonrakerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013   #17
Vicuna

I've found no solution that worked. I've received all kinds of suggestions, but most have been possible and not actual known solutions. As with most computer problems there are so many variatios in setups, loaded software, anti-software that there probably is no one answer.

The quickest and easiest solution for me was to backup what I wanted to keep, run severeal different anti-virus, anti-malware programs on those files to try to make sure none were infected and then reinstall windows 7, transfer my saved files, reload Lightroom, Photoshop and the rest of my software and hope everything works. I'm in the middle of reinstalling my software so we will see.
Old 09-26-2013   #18
Vicuna

AN UPDATE:
My computer is a PC. My problem started right after I updated CS6. (Some using the cloud have reported this same problem.) I could open Photoshop (CS6), open one file, maybe be able to work on it (or not). If I could work on it if would find when I tried to open another photo file it would not open at all. I could reboot and again open one file in Photoshop. I described the problem on several forums. I tried virtually everything suggested and nothing helped. All drivers were up to date. Lack of memory was not the problem. Most solutions did not work or only worked for a short while and then the problem would return. I replaced the mouse and that didn't help. I even completely reloaded Windows 7 and all my software, one at a time, and Photoshop did not work or, in one case, worked for three days and then, having made no further changes in the computer by adding any software, etc. during those three days it again went to opening no files or opening only one and refusing to open any more until after rebooting the computer.

My original post here was July 6, 2013 and my last July 14. At that time I had found no solution. My Photoshop is now working and has been since early August. Quite a few Photoshop users have had this problem and that there doesn't seem to be any one fix. I thought I'd add this post since my Photoshop now works.

I contacted ADOBE again (their original suggestions had not worked) and they suggested opening msconfig, disabling all in the Startup Tab and then going to Services, clicking the Hide all Microsoft services, and then disabling all. That is a common procedure for problems like this. I had already tried it and it did not help. However, I tried it again and Photoshop began to work normally. So something else must have changed somewhere since I had first tried this solution. I have gradually added needed files (anti-virus, anti-malware, Google, Adobe, etc.updaters, monitor calibration software, all my Photoshop and lightroom plug-ins, Microsoft Office, etc.) and my Photoshop CS6 is still working. Knock on wood! Wish I could point to one definite solution to this problem, but I can't.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: