How much RAM do you use?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 11
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default How much RAM do you use?

Not how much RAM do you have, but how much RAM do you use or need? Does anyone know? A photographer--is 4 GB enough? Limiting? 8 GB the sweet spot?

Old 07-02-2013   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: How much RAM do you use?

I went to 16GB after working on some large images and maxing out 8. So far I haven't had any problem living with 16.
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 316487
Editing OK?: Ask first

Yep same here, had 8 gigs but maxed it out so I went to 16.
I was stitching lots of files together for panorama's and also creating time-lapse stuff with lots of files that had to be aligned first.
If I were just doing small projects for my self of the family trip to the park with PSE, I wouldn't need 16 gigs.
gumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466

I don't use any RAM. My computers on the other hand use what ever they find necessary. My laptop has 16gigs to use if it needs and my iMac has 32gigs at it's disposal.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 589

32 gig in my IMac don't know if I need it but it is there just in case
duff01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013   #6
Llama

CamelKarma: 12115

My system has 18GB (yes that is an 8, not a mis-typed 6 ) which sometimes gets used pretty well. Thinking of bumping it to 24GB soon and maybe an SSD for speed.

TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013   #7
Llama

CamelKarma: 58067
Wink Re: How much RAM do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPress View Post
Not how much RAM do you have, but how much RAM do you use or need? Does anyone know? A photographer--is 4 GB enough? Limiting? 8 GB the sweet spot?

the windows 32 bit os' up through 7 32 bit versions see a maximum of 3.5 gb of ram for the system. other programs utilize the remaining ram available for processing the applications for the average user, 4 gb is usually sufficient though for gamers and other graphics intensive programs such as photo editing and video editing 16 and even as high as 64 gb may be needed to run effectively, though usually only some high speed, graphics intensives games would actually need 64 gb. it should be noted that for 64 bit systems, such as win 7 64 and win 8 64 bit, the more ram the better. as for video editing, it is the hdd that matters more than ram as that is where the file is actually located during the editing process. a fast processor, along with lots of ram increases the speed of the editing. depending on the size and type of video editing software, adobe premiere being the best 64 bit version, a 2-3 tb hdd drive may be needed to do the job quickly and easily.
chessmaster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013   #8
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 58394711

16 Gb with Windows 7 64 bit. LR5 and CS6 respond fairly fast but some types of editing eat ram and have maxed that out.

BambersImages Flickr
Etsy Shop Print Sales

Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you.
“Happiness is a habit – cultivate it.” ~ Elbert Hubbar
A Camera puts a frame around life. ~ Joel Meyerowitz
BambersImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013   #9
Llama

CamelKarma: 486555

My laptop is old (2008 Macbook Pro) and is maxed out at 4gb. This does limit me sometimes as I will run out of ram. I generally use LR4 and if I load a bunch of images full size I can fill it up quickly. For the most part it doesn't cause any problems. I feel like 8gb would be perfect if my laptop accepted it. I have CS6 as well but I don't use it that often.

Critique encouraged.
photodoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013   #10
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 3249515

I have 4 tons of ram:

and I use all of it!

COMMENTS, CRITIQUES ALWAYS WELCOME

IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE
verdesardog is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: