How much RAM do you use? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013   #11
Llama

CamelKarma: 58067
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Talking Re: How much RAM do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdesardog View Post
I have 4 tons of ram:

and I use all of it!
I imagine so since it would need all of it just to go around the corner to the grocery store. it sure ain't gonna get anywhere else. if I were you I'd get me a FORD, and become a REAL TRUCKER!!!
chessmaster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013   #12
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 3249515
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: How much RAM do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessmaster2000 View Post
I imagine so since it would need all of it just to go around the corner to the grocery store. it sure ain't gonna get anywhere else. if I were you I'd get me a FORD, and become a REAL TRUCKER!!!
Why do you say that? My last truck was a Dodge, I sold it to buy this one just because I was tired of driving it and it was too low to the ground for some situations I get into with Search and Rescue missions. It was a 1994 Dakota 4x4 that I bought new, it had over 270,000 miles on it when I let it go. I've had Fords, GM vehicles, Jeeps and most brands of motorcycles, they are all just machines and all need maintance to keep running.

Ford...fix or repair daily....lol

COMMENTS, CRITIQUES ALWAYS WELCOME

IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE
verdesardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013   #13
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 3249515
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessmaster2000 View Post

That's a dumb response...my last truck was a 1994 Dodge Dakota 4x4 with over 270,000 miles on it when I let it go to get a truck more suitable for what I do here in Arizona, Search and Rescue.

Ford....Fix Or Repair Daily....lol

Whats better Mac or PC? Same concept. They all work.

COMMENTS, CRITIQUES ALWAYS WELCOME

IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE
verdesardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013   #14
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 7324142

16GB On main & One 8gb on asus gaming laptop
_Provo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #15
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

I use 6GB on a gaming computer (2.83 GHz quad) from several years ago (little while before Win7 was released). I pretty much have only done raw editing of large numbers of Nikon D5100 (16 mp) files. No video editing or pano, etc.

6GB has been enough to do what I need with Elements 9. Many operations are not instant. CPU, memory, external usb2 HD? I'm not sure I need more memory to go a little faster. I think usb3 would provide more help than anything.

The question is a good one, as I just upgraded to LR4 (limited by Vista) and a Nikon D800 and may need to upgrade system. For a few pics, computer seems to do fine. I'm kinda considering a card to add usb3, and adding some memory vs. a new system. I really want a new system, but the upgrade would only be around $100ish. I was looking at 2 x 8GB upgrades and use 2 x 2GB (already have) for a total of 20GB.
Darthsir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013   #16
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 11

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!
HalfPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #17
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2638122
Editing OK?: Ask first

16 on the laptop... more on the desktop...
Max out what your system fits (within reason) when you can... OWC is a good mac resource.

And yes, RAM gets maxed and goes to scratch disk all the time. Depends on file sizes/quantities and number of apps you run.

More info about your workflow and you may get more specific advice.
jdt360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #18
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 929

There's no such thing as 'too much RAM', so max it out if that's affordable. I have 12GB on my Mac G5 Intel machine, and I still need to add another 4GB to max it out.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: