32 bit or 64 bit?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

View Poll Results: What is your computing environment?
32 bit 9 10.59%
64 bit 75 88.24%
Not sure 3 3.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1033
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default 32 bit or 64 bit?

So it's been a while since "64 bit" computing has been around. Are you at 64 bits yet? I thought it would be interesting to see who is there and who is not. I'm not because I still have drivers that don't work with 64 bit software, and I'm not really sure of the advantage of more memory/hard drive space versus compatibility.

Old 06-23-2013   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 465629
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: 32 bit or 64 bit?

Windows or OS x ? I'm a OS X user and use 64bit with no problems
EOSfotografie.nl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013   #3
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

I completely agree with you. Many of the softwares including the drivers won't work on 64 bit operating systems. 64 bit OS overwhelms the hardware to process faster which reduces the hardware lifetime.
Sukumar2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525
Editing OK?: Yes

All the computers in the house are on W7x64 and don't have any issues. (2) of the (3) laptops are older machines that came new with 32 bit XP. My desktop is home built with an older nVidia 8800GTX graphics card. The only device we needed to replace due to driver issues was our 2000 vintage Epson Perfection 610 scanner.

I have 16GB or RAM on my desktop and I use it. Granted, if I didn't have that much RAM I could alter the way I work to reduce the demands on the RAM, but it's sometimes nice to open a dozen images in Photoshop and cycle through them.

.... correction ... one of the older laptop is now running 64 bit WIndows 8.
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013   #5
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukumar2013 View Post
I completely agree with you. Many of the softwares including the drivers won't work on 64 bit operating systems. 64 bit OS overwhelms the hardware to process faster which reduces the hardware lifetime.
"Overwhelms" the hardware? Any chance you've got some reliable sources for that theory? I simply can't imagine a scenario where using 64bit OS vs 32bit would shorten hardware life in any meaningful way, unless perhaps you have made the PC yourself, the cooling is completely inadequate, you overclock your computer, and run incredibly CPU/GPU intensive apps 24/7. Even then, you'd have the same problems with a 32bit OS.
Also, "many" apps? Again, sources for that? Older hardware with no updates for drivers, old applications that are no longer updated, sure you'll sometimes have problems with a 64bit OS, but otherwise, there really is a lot of scare mongering about x64, when in reality things have improved a lot - I remember Windows XP 64 bit originally not really being worth it, many years ago, but now I'd need a really good reason not to!
Ugggh, horrible run-on sentences there, apologies for the readability.
SilentlyScreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013   #6
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 412361

Having switched to 64 bit Windows for the last 6 months and increasing memory beyond the 4GB limit, I find that processor intensive operations are a lot faster now. RAW files shot with the Nikon D800 produces huge files and filters such as lens correction simply takes too long on such large files without additional memory. Therefore, in my case at least, 64 bit has really helped. Incidentally, my experience is with Windows 7 and CS 6.
raghunath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013   #7
Llama

CamelKarma: 58067
Post Re: 32 bit or 64 bit?

currently, nearly all manufacturers are installing the 64 bit os'. also, the number of 64 bit programs is increasing such that, eventually, no 32 bit software will be available. up to win7, nearly every program will run on win7. I have numerous xp programs and can use them on win 7 without any problems whatsoever. see, there are 2 program folders in 64 bit os'. one is for 32 bit programs, the other for 64 bit programs. the vast number of hardware that was used on xp has drivers available, but may be difficult to locate as some manufacturers no longer support anything for newer os'. they want you to buy new hardware.
win 8 64, however is even more problematic. for some types of hardware, you need to use a generic driver, yet some older hardware is still supported using drivers for win 7 64. software, however is another matter. more and more xp programs will not work on win 8 64. this is in spite of the fact it ,too, has 2 programs folders, the 32 and the 64 bit. I have, fortunately, had only one program that did not install on win 8 64, a chess game. two games also on the disk, did install.
chessmaster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013   #8
Llama

CamelKarma: 316487
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
had only one program that did not install on win 8 64, a chess game.
As long as BF3 keeps running fine on it, I'm happy. Its my virtual world Lithium.
gumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013   #9
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 412361

Main advantage of 64 bits Windows is that you can ramp up the RAM way beyond 4GB. RAM of 8-16 GB seem essential to handle processor-intensive rendering now almost mandatory for large RAW (think 36Mb from D800) files!
raghunath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013   #10
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1033

From what I'm hearing, the only downside to moving to 64 bit is possible incompatibility of drivers.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: