32 bit or 64 bit? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

View Poll Results: What is your computing environment?
32 bit 9 10.59%
64 bit 75 88.24%
Not sure 3 3.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013   #11
Llama

CamelKarma: 19072
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: 32 bit or 64 bit?

64 bit operation is no faster than 32, it is afterall the same processor chip. 64 bits only has two properties, it allows programs to access more than 2GB of memory (each), and it is larger itself (64 bits is 2x larger than 32 bits). So 64 bits needs more memory simply because it is larger, however then it can also use more memory.

32 bits Windows cannot use more than around 3+ GB of memory, including the operating system.

32 bit programs in a 64 bit system can use 2 GB of memory themselves, each. 64 bit programs can use more.
(A D800 36 megapixel image is 108 MB RGB, which is "only" about 0.1 GB)

64 bit systems can add much memory, usually at least 16 GB, and programs can use all the memory there is. However, you probably need at least 5 or 6 GB memory just to say even with the 3 GB 32 bit system. You need 8GB to see much improvement.

Otherwise, no difference.

Four Flash Fundamentals We Must Know
WayneF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013   #12
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneF View Post
64 bit operation is no faster than 32, it is afterall the same processor chip. 64 bits only has two properties, it allows programs to access more than 2GB of memory (each), and it is larger itself (64 bits is 2x larger than 32 bits). So 64 bits needs more memory simply because it is larger, however then it can also use more memory.

32 bits Windows cannot use more than around 3+ GB of memory, including the operating system.

32 bit programs in a 64 bit system can use 2 GB of memory themselves, each. 64 bit programs can use more.
(A D800 36 megapixel image is 108 MB RGB, which is "only" about 0.1 GB)

64 bit systems can add much memory, usually at least 16 GB, and programs can use all the memory there is. However, you probably need at least 5 or 6 GB memory just to say even with the 3 GB 32 bit system. You need 8GB to see much improvement.

Otherwise, no difference.
Re 64 bit requires more memory because it is larger. Not quite that simple. Think of an envelope with a message in it, and an address on the outside.
32 bit address is 16 High St, Townsville. Message inside is 4 pages long.
64 bit address is John Smithyn, 16 High St, Townsville, France. Message inside is STILL 4 pages long.
So, yes, overall there is a small increase in memory used, as the address for the memory always longer, but the contents remain the same.

Re no faster. Perhaps with some operations, but handling multiple RAW images, perhaps applying a chain of filters to them all in batch mode, or editing large videos, I really was under the impression that the processing completed quicker. With 64 bit (CPU and OS), do you not get sixteen 64-bit GPR (general purpose registers) and sixteen SSE registers, versus just eight 32 bit GPRs and eight SSE registers with 32-bit OS?

Re 5 or 6 GB memory on a 64 bit rig, just to stay even with the 3 GB 32 bit system. I remember reading reports of that a long time ago, but I thought that these had been dismissed more recently? Happy to be corrected.
SilentlyScreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #13
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 412361
Editing OK?: Yes

For photographers using Photoshop for editing, 64 bit Windows lets Photoshop too access more memory. This may be critical for large RAW files (around 35-40mb coming out of a D800) especially for rendering or for filters such as Lens Correction. I have a Core 2 Duo machine that only supports DDR2 RAM (Max 8Gb). The only way I could cope with my D800 RAW files was to upgrade to 64 bit windows, double memory to 8Gb (the limit of my MoBo) and install a SSD drive for my core C drive.

It saved me a heap of cash compared to an upgrade to a Core i5 machine with new MoBo that would support Core i5 or i7 processor and DDR3 RAM!
raghunath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #14
Llama

CamelKarma: 19072
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentlyScreaming View Post
So, yes, overall there is a small increase in memory used, as the address for the memory always longer, but the contents remain the same.
The address just accesses it. The address is not stored in memory (jump addresses are, but are relative, and relocatable, never absolute).

Program data is the same size either way (unaffected), but the 64 bit code is twice as large, pure and simple.

64 bit code words are 64 bits long. 32 bit code words are 32 bits long (these are the computer instruction words, necessarily 32 or 64 bits long). Double seems a big increase (code, not data). So 3 GB for 32 bits leaves quite a bit MORE memory available than 3 GB for 64 which uses it (but the point is, 64 can use 16 GB, and 32 can use only 3+ GB).

32 bit code can access only 2 GB of memory (each program). 64 bit code is limited only by how much you have. So, 64 bits simply allows more memory to be addressed and used. The execution of that code is no faster, but swapping could be improved with more memory, if swapping is an issue (can be, with 3 GB). There won't be much swapping with 8 GB of memory. I have 16 GB (Win7 64), and have disabled the swap file without any problem. My use (processing hundreds of D800 Raw files) never remotely approaches 16 GB.

Four Flash Fundamentals We Must Know
WayneF is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: