Photoshop Creative Cloud??
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 64020146
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Photoshop Creative Cloud??

I'd like to know what folks that are using this think of it so far.
I'm still using PS4 and haven't decided if I want to move to this or not.
Do plug-ins like Topaz work with it? Would I have to re-load all my plug-ins to get them to work? Do you think the monthly bill is worth the cost? I'm not looking for heated hateful debate here. I just want to know what folks that are actually using it think of it compared to earlier PS versions. Also, once you move to it, can you go back to an earlier version like mine without having to re-load it??

I'd appreciate hearing advantages vs. disadvantages from such folks.

Thanks

Tom C.

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.
thcofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525
Default Re: Photoshop Creative Cloud??

There is nothing 'cloudy' about the software. It downloads and installs just like the old days, except you don't get a disc or a serial number. All the plugins and actions are local just as you have it now. There is an updater program that keeps in touch with the mothership for updates and, I assume, validation of the license subscription.

I paid for a year (one month at a time) because I got in for cheap and I thought having access to all the other pieces of the creative suite might be nice. So far, I haven't gone beyond PS and LR ... I've taken advantage of the Acrobat license a couple of times. I've loaded up a couple other programs, but didn't get far and ended up back in my old toolbox.

Unless something changes with their packaging, I probably won't renew when my year is up. I'll go back to my CS5 and Corel Aftershot ... as I've said before, I'm not wowed by LR over Aftershot.
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013   #3
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemlin View Post
There is nothing 'cloudy' about the software. It downloads and installs just like the old days, except you don't get a disc or a serial number. All the plugins and actions are local just as you have it now. There is an updater program that keeps in touch with the mothership for updates and, I assume, validation of the license subscription.

I paid for a year (one month at a time) because I got in for cheap and I thought having access to all the other pieces of the creative suite might be nice. So far, I haven't gone beyond PS and LR ... I've taken advantage of the Acrobat license a couple of times. I've loaded up a couple other programs, but didn't get far and ended up back in my old toolbox.

Unless something changes with their packaging, I probably won't renew when my year is up. I'll go back to my CS5 and Corel Aftershot ... as I've said before, I'm not wowed by LR over Aftershot.
Thanks.
My CS4 was a digital download too.

Do you have to re-load the plug-ins again? I got Topaz and some other plug-ins from online. Many have "new and improved" plug-ins since doing so. Some downloaded as a program that you installed and some downloaded directly to PS. Part of my concern is that to get them to work with CC I may have to purchase the current version of some of the plug-ins, which would be additional cost.

There are features that have come out since CS4 that I think would be nice to have but I can't afford to purchase the latest CS. I thought going to CC might be a good alternative, but not if it meant that I had to re-purchase most of my plug-ins too.

Are you able to drop back to your CS5 on the same computer as you have the CC loaded on without having to re-load?

Tom C.

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.
Old 06-18-2013   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525

My CS5 is still installed and works fine, and I found it odd that when the CC updated to LR5, it left my LR4 install (from the CC) installed. Plugs need to be installed into CS6 ... I don't know the ins and outs of PS well enough to know what alternative plugin install methods there may be. Can you just point CS6 to your CS4 plugin directory?
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013   #5
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemlin View Post
My CS5 is still installed and works fine, and I found it odd that when the CC updated to LR5, it left my LR4 install (from the CC) installed. Plugs need to be installed into CS6 ... I don't know the ins and outs of PS well enough to know what alternative plugin install methods there may be. Can you just point CS6 to your CS4 plugin directory?
My biggest concerns about going to CC are...

1. Being able to go back to using CS4 and it's plug-ins if I needed or wanted to without having to re-install it. Say there is a plug-in in my CS4 that I want to use that I would have to purchase a new version of to use in CC for example. I'd want to able to drop back to CS4 to do so. (What can I say, I'm a poor man with an expensive habit )

2. Being able to use my plug-ins with CC that I have already purchased and am currently using with CS4. The hassles that may be involved to do so. If I had to re-install each of them, I would have to find out where I put the download in some cases. In other cases, it was a direct download that loaded directly to PS4. If I had to get them again to put them in CC, I suspect I'd have to purchase the latest version of them. Again, that means more money.

---
I've been stumbling along without LR or anything of the sort (gasp!) The cost of PS4 alone hurt like heck. Along with some of the features that came along with CS5 and CS6 that I'm attracted to and assume are in the CC version, I assume LR is available there too??

For me, I can handle a few bucks a month. That's what is tempting me toward going with the CC.

Tom C.

Old 06-18-2013   #6
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 173
Editing OK?: Ask First

I'm currently using CS5 and I don't plan on going to the cloud do to security issues. Just to many vulnerable avenues. There is enough back-doors within new software that we have purchased which bring forth questions about spreading it over the cloud. There is some great ideas within the cloud concept but, it is still young which leaves me leery with the amount of traffic expected. I will be an observer for the first few years especially with IPV6 being implemented by ISP's with greater regularity. No........ I don't believe IPV6 is less secure just more security and routing issues for internet traffic combined. Will everyone be on the same page or will there be some lagging behind? Everything new is an experiment and in this case I've chosen not to be the lab rat.

Brady
Freezframe_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013   #7
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezframe_2 View Post
I'm currently using CS5 and I don't plan on going to the cloud do to security issues. Just to many vulnerable avenues. There is enough back-doors within new software that we have purchased which bring forth questions about spreading it over the cloud. There is some great ideas within the cloud concept but, it is still young which leaves me leery with the amount of traffic expected. I will be an observer for the first few years especially with IPV6 being implemented by ISP's with greater regularity. No........ I don't believe IPV6 is less secure just more security and routing issues for internet traffic combined. Will everyone be on the same page or will there be some lagging behind? Everything new is an experiment and in this case I've chosen not to be the lab rat.

Brady
I can understand that. On the other hand, they have come out with some features since PS4 that I'd like to have. Buying CS5 or 6 in not a option financially. Another thought is that it's priced nice now. I suspect it may go up for those joining later.

Tom C.

Old 06-22-2013   #8
Camel Breath

Follow up:

Yesterday I decided to break down and try Photoshop Creative Cloud.

Wow! I'm loving it. Prior to that, my most current version was CS-4. I knew there were some interesting features that have come out since then, but I didn't realize just how much I was going to love them.

My biggest concerns was loosing my plug-ins and loosing CS-4 because I think it was a direct download from Adobe and I might not be able to get it back.

I didn't need to worry.
Almost all of my plug-ins worked with a simple cut and paste, at least, all the important ones did.
CS-4 is still alive and well in my computer in the event that I should need one of the plug-ins that will not work in CC. A bonus was that it imported my personalized sittings, brushes, and other goodies.

So:
I was reluctant to purchase new software that required a monthly fee or payment. In reality, it's working out well for someone like me who can not afford the $$ to purchase CS-6 in one lump sum.

I love the new features that come in the New version.

The upgrading and transfer was fairly painless.

At least for the next year, the $10 per month is a price that is easily affordable. If they don't get crazy about jacking the price up after that, I'll stick with it.

My evaluation so far would be:

2 thumbs up!
A 12 out of a 10!
Two High Fives!
A vigorous Chest bump!
A very loud, "Woo Hoo!"
Ok, many may not agree and I know a lot of folks are unhappy with the whole Creative Cloud thing. I was very resistant myself. We don't always adapt well to change, but sometimes change really is a good thing and I now believe that this is one of those times.

Thanks for giving me input on the matter folks, greatly appreciated.

Tom C.

Old 06-22-2013   #9
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 3332465
Editing OK?: Ask First

I can see where it might make sense for someone who uses several of the apps, but for me with LR and PS Elements, a year of CC is nearly the cost of both of these software packages ($79 for LR upgrade and $64 for PSE) and I can use them forever.
Old 06-22-2013   #10
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 169270948

Tom, going from CS4 to CS6/CC you woulkd see a major boost in features, capability, and speed if you have a 64 bit PC. You will be in great shape for the next 12 months but be aware the $10/mo price is introductory and after 12 mos the regular price is $20/mo.
Enjoy all the new features.
Cheers, Murray

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: