PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum

PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum (https://photocamel.com/forum/)
-   Computers and Software (https://photocamel.com/forum/computers-software/)
-   -   Photoshop Creative Cloud?? (https://photocamel.com/forum/computers-software/186084-photoshop-creative-cloud.html)

JDArt 02-02-2014 03:43 PM

Re: Photoshop Creative Cloud??

I like the idea of paying for something and being done with the payments.

I'll keep using CS6 until I get some new-fangled camera and Camera RAW will only support it if I upgrade, which is how Adobe forced me to use CS6 in the first place.

I was happy with CS3.

Stiga 02-02-2014 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDArt (Post 2026142)
I like the idea of paying for something and being done with the payments.

I'll keep using CS6 until I get some new-fangled camera and Camera RAW will only support it if I upgrade, which is how Adobe forced me to use CS6 in the first place.

I was happy with CS3.

Perhaps you should have stayed with CS3 and added DxO Optics Pro 9 Standard Edition ($99) to your arsenal. It's a very good RAW processor and covers most camera/lens combinations. Unfortunately some lenses require the Elite Edition ($299)

mistermonday 02-02-2014 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pro70z28 (Post 2026124)
I just purchased a new iMAC with an i7 processor, CS6, Lightroom 5.3 and a D610. I'm hoping I can stand pat on that combination for quite some time.

BTW: It also looks like this may be my last MAC purchase. (I've been a MAC user since the mid 80's). Seems in my business the sign program suppliers are dropping MAC & concentrating entirely on PC's. I'm already running dual platform now because fewer & fewer programs are keeping up in MAC. Also, many of those programs are also going to CC. Unfortunately, it's not just a photography thing. Adobe has sorta' let that horse out of the barn.

Yes, Gary, there used to be a greater differentiation in Mac vs PC when Macs were using the PowerPC processors. But ever since Apple migrated their OS to run on Intel CPUs there is greater convergence and Mac will likely disappear from the desktop environment.
As for the CC subscription model, it could turn out to be one of the most significant strategic errors that Adobe could make but it will likely take several more fiscal quarters before for outsiders to know. For the moment Adobe has taken to hiding in its own cloud. Its revenues for fiscal 2013 which ended on Nov 30, were in total down 10% from fiscal 2012. Digital marketing was actually up approx 20% but Digital Media which includes boxed and CC products like PS, Illustrator, Premiere were down more than 20%. Adobe explained much of the decrease to customers moving to the new CC subscription model. That explains why some of the revenue dropped off but there is no indication whether or not the new subscription model will pick up the revenue lost from perpetual license sales. It may take 3 or 4 quarters of results to see. However, Adobe most likely know the outcome now because they know how many subscribers they have locked in for the next 12 months. The special $10 Photographer bundle which was originally extended to CS4 and up customers only, then got extended to everyone for a limited time (Dec 31, 2013), is now extended until Mar 31, 2014, leading me to guess that Adobe has not engaged enough subscribers to meet the revenue targets. We will just have to wait until the end of Mar to see how the trend continues.
Cheers, Murray

Dr_No 02-02-2014 10:16 PM

Adobe's pattern should be quite obvious to all by now: They deliberately chose to go to the 'SAAS' non-ownership / non-boxed product model for what they perceived to be a 'perpetual' revenue stream from a captive user base in place of revenue increase by release of either 'dot' incremental upgrades or whole-number new version upgrades. They'll play their cards close to their vest until it becomes impossible to justify keeping the 'CC' model in existence. I foresee Adobe - at some unknown and unknowable point - making an announcement that they will return to a NON-SAAS model and resume offering OWNED software ... and they may even maintain a 'CC' presence as an 'option' (which it should have always been) rather than a mandatory no-other-choice model. That day can't come soon enough to suit me. While Adobe dithers with this decision, the vacuum's being filled by Tiffen, Topaz, OnOne, and other players who, I'm sure, are very happy Adobe's made their marketing so very much easier with their idiotic 'Cloud strategy' - if 'strategy' is indeed even applicable.

Mike_PEAT 02-03-2014 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Scubadiver (Post 2025444)
I am wondering how many around here have tried Lightroom 5. Everyone uses their software differently, but my impression has always been that most images could be processed in Lightroom or ACR. Photoshop was used for retouching.
What I am hearing from most CS6 owners, is they will stay with CS6 until it no longer works rather than fork out monthly payments to Adobe. That might be a long time.

What Adobe did is only PART of the issue.

A lot of people just find the user interface too different and too limiting. In my case I tried Lightroom2 years ago and absolutely hated the workflow. Adobe keeps saying that Photoshop is not meant for editing photos, but I love it and have used Photoshop-like programs for editing images BEFORE Photoshop existed.

Dr_No 02-04-2014 01:45 AM

I've tried Lightroom. I have v.4.x installed now. I don't use it. Lightroom has one of the most awkward workflows I've ever used, and I absolutely hate its 'catalog' system. Others may love it, but I'll stick with Photoshop and other editing software. What I won't do is buy into Adobe's 'Cloud' hustle.

moonrakerz 02-25-2014 02:02 PM

Adobe now seem to be targeting the UK with a special offer on CC.

Today's email...CC + Lightroom 5 for "only" 8.78 per month ! What a bargain!!

What is missing is what happens after the 12 month initial contract.
The email I got today (assuming it is actually from Adobe - not from the myriad of spammers since they gave away my email address!!) offers me that price for 12 months - after that - ?
The prices shown on the email/website range from 17.58 to 46.88 per month.

Come on Adobe - how about a bit of honesty ? The inflation rate in UK is 1.9% (Jan 2014) - is that what you are offering for 2015 ? Somehow, I don't think so !

zemlin 02-25-2014 02:35 PM

The initial announcment says the price ($9.99 in the US) is not an introductory price.
Introducing the Photoshop Photography Program Adobe Creative Cloud

mistermonday 02-25-2014 03:14 PM

8.78 is $14.83 US at this time, and I assume the VAT needs to be added on top of that. In North America the price of 9.99 is not introductory and will be adjusted. However it's not likely to be tied to the rate of inflation but to what Adobe can get away with based on customer adoption of the CC model and market pressures.
Cheers, Murray

Dr_No 02-25-2014 03:34 PM

Heh. I got this today (02252014) from Adobe:

For a limited time, get Adobe Creative Cloud* for 65% off when you prepay for one year. Membership puts industry-leading tools in your hands and gives you access to resources that make mastering the software easy and fun. Get the latest version of every Adobe creative tool—including Photoshop CC, Illustrator CC, and Adobe Premiere Pro CC—and see what you can accomplish in the classroom and beyond.

SIXTY-FIVE PER CENT OFF ... That's not chump change, and it's not normal pricing strategy. Looks as if the 'attraction' and 'benefits' offered by their 'Software As A Service' (SAAS) model isn't so much 'all that and a bag o' chips' as they'd like us to believe. To my 35-plus-years-of-sales eyes, this reads as the beginning of what's commonly known as 'desperation' (a/k/a 'The Step Preceding Panic'), which is usually a direct result of lower-than-anticipated 'sales figures' - read that term to mean 'revenue'. I have no doubt Adobe will continue to milk the SAAS cow as long as it can - but I don't see how it can avoid concluding it's a failed business model. I eagerly anticipate a return to (1) boxed retail product and, (2) outright ownership of purchased product. Maybe they really do believe they can get their requisite revenue from unicorn farts and pixie dust. Oh ... Hey! Adobe! Incremental revenue's better than NO revenue.

Just for grins, here's some of their 'reading material' that explains exactly who's eligible for this 'offer'. We've done this dance before, haven't we?

Offer terms and conditions:
For a limited time, from January 16, 2014, through April 14, 2014, eligible students 13 and older and teachers in North America may purchase an annual membership to Adobe Creative Cloud for a reduced price of US$199 for the first year only. After that, we will renew your contract automatically at the then-current standard prepaid price. Requires a 12-month contract. This offer is available for first-time membership only for customers who purchase directly from the Adobe Store or by calling Adobe Sales at 800-585-0774. This offer is not available to OEM, commercial, or volume licensing customers. Offer limited to one purchase of a Creative Cloud annual membership per customer. Offer is subject to U.S. export control laws and laws where the recipient resides and may not be available in all countries or languages. Offer may not be assigned, exchanged, sold, transferred, or combined with any other discount or offer, or redeemed for cash or other goods and services. Offer void where prohibited.