PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum

PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum (https://photocamel.com/forum/)
-   Computers and Software (https://photocamel.com/forum/computers-software/)
-   -   Photoshop Creative Cloud?? (https://photocamel.com/forum/computers-software/186084-photoshop-creative-cloud.html)

moonrakerz 01-17-2014 12:58 PM

Re: Photoshop Creative Cloud??

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermonday (Post 2017573)
I had a long conversation with an Adobe PS developer who confirmed that after a subscription terminates and any grace period has expired, the program ceases to function. There is no Filter>Parachute.

If a (boxed) CS6 user goes to CC and updates his version to CS6.1, 6.2, 6.3, etc, etc, then decides that he no longer wishes to pay the vastly increased monthly payments (wait and see !) - what happen to his "version" ? We are told (above) by Adobe, it "ceases to function".

I have a sneaky feeling that the only way to get back to a functioning copy of CS6 would be a complete uninstall and reload from the disc. I have to wonder what little surprises might be left on your computer to make this, shall we say ?, a little problematic 8)8)

mistermonday 01-17-2014 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonrakerz (Post 2017617)
If a (boxed) CS6 user goes to CC and updates his version to CS6.1, 6.2, 6.3, etc, etc, then decides that he no longer wishes to pay the vastly increased monthly payments (wait and see !) - what happen to his "version" ? We are told (above) by Adobe, it "ceases to function".

I have a sneaky feeling that the only way to get back to a functioning copy of CS6 would be a complete uninstall and reload from the disc. I have to wonder what little surprises might be left on your computer to make this, shall we say ?, a little problematic 8)8)

CC is a separate installation, completely independent and compatible with CS6. I think what you really need to worry about are changes to your computers hardware or operating system which might render CA6 inoperable much like what happened to programs and drivers when Microsoft introduced Win7. Adobe will most likely refuse to rework CS6 to make it compatible.
Cheers, Murray

Dr_No 01-17-2014 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonrakerz (Post 2017617)

And it's that whole "ceases to function" endgame of quitting one's subscription that makes the best case against 'Software As A Service' ('SAAS') as opposed to outright direct ownership of any product. 'SAAS' renters have no - repeat, NO - ownership of their ( ahem ) 'purchase' because they own no product as they once did. The day will arrive for all CC users - with the possible exception of business entities - when they will become unable, unwilling, or uninterested in keeping up with their subscription. Once their 'grace period' (let's say one month, just for giggles) expires, where do they go should they want - or need - to access their old CC files? Hint: nowhere. What they may consider, however, is standing in a large open field somewhere and shouting the line most memorable from the poem 'Ozymandias' (with a slight modification): "Look on my works, ye Mighty, and REPAIR!" ... just sayin' ...

Ron Scubadiver 02-01-2014 09:18 AM

I am wondering how many around here have tried Lightroom 5. Everyone uses their software differently, but my impression has always been that most images could be processed in Lightroom or ACR. Photoshop was used for retouching. With LR 5/ACR 8 (only in cc) the repair tool can now cover irregular areas. It also got a lot smarter. For me, the percentage of images needing a pixel editor dropped from 10% to about 1%. For the plug in addicted, most popular plugins work in Lightroom.

What I am hearing from most CS6 owners, is they will stay with CS6 until it no longer works rather than fork out monthly payments to Adobe. That might be a long time.

WesternGuy 02-01-2014 03:18 PM

In response to Ron Scubadiver, I am one of those who is a Lightroom user - currently using and quite happy with, Lightroom 5. I have very little use for Photoshop and the little bit that I do have can probably be done elsewhere. The latest version (previous one too) of onOne's software has the ability to do Layers and a large number of other things that I might want to do in Photoshop. The only thing I can see my using Photoshop for, at present, is to put text annotations onto slides for presentation. I can also do that by converting the image to a jpeg and importing into PowerPoint and then exporting the result as a jpeg and reimporting to Lightroom - a bit more work, mind you, but it can be done. There is also GIMP. It is going to be interesting to see how long Adobe can hold onto this current SAAS business model before it has an effect on their bottom line - maybe they can - maybe they can't.

The only advice I would give folks is to hold onto a copy of your original file, either raw or jpeg. If you decide to no longer follow the Adobe Cloud, at least you will have your original to go back to.

My 0.02 FWIW.

WesternGuy

Ron Scubadiver 02-01-2014 08:36 PM

WestrnGuy, your reference to OnOne is interesting. Although Photoshop can do all sorts of things, the program is most widely used for retouching or cloning out stuff. Layers are a mode of operation. They simply allow a pixel editor to operate non destructively until or unless one decides to flatten the image. Purely non destructive editing programs do not need layers because they depend on a series of commands all of which may be undone.

Lightroom is a heck of a great program for the price, but now Adobe has a lot of folks searching for an alternative pixel editor. The other thing annoying about photoshop is it's so big that it must be updated like an operating system. I can't think of another photo editing program like that. Because of numerous tilt switches utilized for license checks in the updates there are frequent complaints of licensed users of Photoshop having updates fail and they need to reinstall the entire program. All (legit) CC programs must be downloaded for each install. I suppose that is OK if you have a 50 megabit cable connection and unlimited or a very high data limit. Adobe really needs to have a license where if the customer pays for cc for say, three years, and then the subscription lapses, the programs continue to work, but do not update, even if it required a tail end license payment. A lot of what Adobe is depending on is the huge investment in time to learn Photoshop, so users are locked in.

raghunath 02-02-2014 12:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It is interesting to hear so many good things about LightRoom. I wonder if any one has made a comparison of ACR 8 and LR 5 as to their comparitive capabilities. I am limited to ACR + Photoshop in my experience. Increasingly, as ACR gains strength for version to version, more and more gets done before opening the image in Photoshop. The most fundamental use I have of PS is in applying seamless increase in local contrast using luminosity curves a la Tony Kuyper. It allows me to approach HDR results on a single RAW shot without any risk of halos. here is an example of this approach of Boays on the River Ganges at Banaras.

Love to hear from others on Photo Camel using Luminosity Curves.

Mr. Pickles 02-02-2014 12:30 PM

Well, LR uses ACR in the background to do all its corrections, so I doubt a comparison is actually needed between the 2. Not sure anyone need "luminosity curves" to accomplish what the example shows. It looks to be a overly contrasty (and overly dark) image that is probably easily done in LR, without the need to PS. It certainly isn't a great example of HDR by any means.

As for the original topic, if you need pixel level control of images, there is simply nothing better than PS, and the CC version is the latest, and for $10 a month for both PS CC and LR, it is a good deal. Cable or satellite TV on the other hand is not a good deal.

mistermonday 02-02-2014 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles (Post 2026029)
As for the original topic, if you need pixel level control of images, there is simply nothing better than PS, and the CC version is the latest, and for $10 a month for both PS CC and LR, it is a good deal. Cable or satellite TV on the other hand is not a good deal.

You are correct, Craig, in stating that there is nothing better than PS for pixel level control plus a whole bunch of other functions. And the $10 for PS & LR is a good deal except for the fact that Adobe does not offer an acceptable exit option when the inevitable termination of a subscription occurs. A large percentage of PS users will take advantage of Adjustment Layers, Multi-feature Layer Styles, Layers with Blending Modes, Text Layers, Shape Layers, Vector Layers, & Smart Objects, many of which can take hours to do and later need to be reused or modified. This means saving one's work in PSD file format. When a subscription is terminated, the programs simply cease to function after some grace period. All of your work, time, and money investment is useless at that point in time if you can not access it. Furthermore there is no guarantee that the legacy copy of PS you kept when you purchased a perpetual license, will be able to open a file saved in the latest CC format.
Adobe is treating "S/W as a Service" as if it were a ride in a taxi, bus, or train. It isn't that simple.
Cheers, Murray

pro70z28 02-02-2014 02:59 PM

I just purchased a new iMAC with an i7 processor, CS6, Lightroom 5.3 and a D610. I'm hoping I can stand pat on that combination for quite some time.

BTW: It also looks like this may be my last MAC purchase. (I've been a MAC user since the mid 80's). Seems in my business the sign program suppliers are dropping MAC & concentrating entirely on PC's. I'm already running dual platform now because fewer & fewer programs are keeping up in MAC. Also, many of those programs are also going to CC. Unfortunately, it's not just a photography thing. Adobe has sorta' let that horse out of the barn.