PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum

PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum (https://photocamel.com/forum/)
-   Computers and Software (https://photocamel.com/forum/computers-software/)
-   -   Photoshop Creative Cloud?? (https://photocamel.com/forum/computers-software/186084-photoshop-creative-cloud.html)

mistermonday 09-20-2013 07:43 AM

Re: Photoshop Creative Cloud??
 
Tom, just in case you have not seen this, Adobe compromised and created a "Photographers CC bundle" which consists of PS and LR fro $9.99/month for both and I believe your current subsciption is convertible.
http://photocamel.com/forum/computer...aves-sort.html
Cheers, Murray


Quote:

Originally Posted by thcofer (Post 1954700)
Additional Info and update:

When I purchased Photoshop CC, I did so as a single app to keep the cost down. I did not have Lightroom and was using Bridge and ACR to process and load my photos into Photoshop. Lightroom was a separate download and additional cost. Yes, they did recently add a CC version and allow it to be downloaded even if you only purchased the single app upgrade.

Adobe does seem to be taking their move to CC seriously. They have had multiple updates since I joined, making minor improvements and fixing bugs. They have also added a few features, including fonts.

So far, I am still quite happy that I moved to CC. :)


Scrub 09-20-2013 10:08 AM

Re: Photoshop Creative Cloud??
 
I am going to wait until I can start the classes I wanted to take at the community college and then get the student subscription for $19.99. A good deal if you were looking at taking any sort of classes.

Doublehelix3216 09-20-2013 11:22 AM

Re: Photoshop Creative Cloud??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bryan_h (Post 1954751)

What I have found is that when it installed, it actually installed both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions on my laptop. If I try to run the 64-bit version after expiration, it pops up a message that I have to purchase a subscription to continue. If I try to run the 32-bit version, it runs just fine. As far as I can tell there are no limitations in the 32-bit version.


It may just be that each version has its own 30-day trial. You expired the 64-bit trial, but never actually fired up the 32-bit version until now, meaning its 30-day period has just begun.

Just a guess however...

bryan_h 09-20-2013 12:43 PM

Re: Photoshop Creative Cloud??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doublehelix3216 (Post 1955043)
It may just be that each version has its own 30-day trial. You expired the 64-bit trial, but never actually fired up the 32-bit version until now, meaning its 30-day period has just begun.

Just a guess however...

I honestly cant remember when I began using the 32-bit, but it seems longer than 30-days ago. If it hasn't been 30 days then it should be expiring soon!! Will post again if that happens..

Dr_No 01-15-2014 05:20 PM

Re: Photoshop Creative Cloud??
 
Even with the 'Photographers CC Bundle' at $9.99/month, it's not enough for me to embrace Adobe's concept that THEY should own the software I purchase and then turn around to ever-so-kindly-and-beneficiently allow me the privilege of renting time and space on THEIR 'cloud' and continue to PERMIT me the luxury of using THEIR software ('cuz it's really not mine, y' see) just so long as I keep priming the money pump. When the day comes I choose to cease doing that, well, ol' son, it's been real nice knowin' ya, but you're gonna hafta git off our spread now 'cuz you ain't a renter here no more, see ... 'Software As A Service' will always be a failed concept for me. 'Software As A Purchase' with the accompanying rights of ownership is the only way to go.

thcofer 01-16-2014 04:51 PM

Re: Photoshop Creative Cloud??
 
I understand both sides of the argument.

One of the things that has been nice about having CC is that there have been several updates since I first got it. Most of these weren't just bug fixes like you'd be able to get for the previous versions, but rather new and/or improved features. So instead of waiting for and paying for the next version of CS, I get new and additional features as they develop them.

mistermonday 01-16-2014 05:27 PM

Re: Photoshop Creative Cloud??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thcofer (Post 2017174)
I understand both sides of the argument.

One of the things that has been nice about having CC is that there have been several updates since I first got it. Most of these weren't just bug fixes like you'd be able to get for the previous versions, but rather new and/or improved features. So instead of waiting for and paying for the next version of CS, I get new and additional features as they develop them.

There is an inverse of this to be mindful of. As the size of PS code keeps growing making the program a bit bloated, there is a possibility that Adobe will chose to remove some commands, tools, or filters, some of which you might consider critical. Certainly this has occurred numerous times over the past 7 or 8 versions of PS. But in the past you always had your older versions to fall back on. Under the new model, Adobe will upgrade you to the next version of CC, remove some functions and they are gone - no way back. So you should remember that release versions can move you forward or backward.
Cheers, Murray

jdt360 01-16-2014 05:30 PM

Re: Photoshop Creative Cloud??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermonday (Post 2017198)
There is an inverse of this to be mindful of. As the size of PS code keeps growing making the program a bit bloated, there is a possibility that Adobe will chose to remove some commands, tools, or filters, some of which you might consider critical. Certainly this has occurred numerous times over the past 7 or 8 versions of PS. But in the past you always had your older versions to fall back on. Under the new model, Adobe will upgrade you to the next version of CC, remove some functions and they are gone - no way back. So you should remember that release versions can move you forward or backward.
Cheers, Murray

What important functions have they gotten rid of?

thcofer 01-16-2014 05:37 PM

Re: Photoshop Creative Cloud??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermonday (Post 2017198)
There is an inverse of this to be mindful of. As the size of PS code keeps growing making the program a bit bloated, there is a possibility that Adobe will chose to remove some commands, tools, or filters, some of which you might consider critical. Certainly this has occurred numerous times over the past 7 or 8 versions of PS. But in the past you always had your older versions to fall back on. Under the new model, Adobe will upgrade you to the next version of CC, remove some functions and they are gone - no way back. So you should remember that release versions can move you forward or backward.
Cheers, Murray

When they show a new update, I always click on the "more information" link to see what has changed. That may not be enough in the future. I still have an older version of CS to fall back on.

BambersImages 01-16-2014 05:43 PM

Re: Photoshop Creative Cloud??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thcofer (Post 2017203)
When they show a new update, I always click on the "more information" link to see what has changed. That may not be enough in the future. I still have an older version of CS to fall back on.

I believe that the intention is that they do an upgrade of the features once a quarter instead of when they released a new version of CS.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 AM.