PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum

PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum (https://photocamel.com/forum/)
-   Computers and Software (https://photocamel.com/forum/computers-software/)
-   -   Photoshop Creative Cloud?? (https://photocamel.com/forum/computers-software/186084-photoshop-creative-cloud.html)

poloman 09-05-2013 08:16 AM

Another way to look at it is as a payment plan. Add the cost of all the software you get with cc. Divide by the monthly fee. How long?
Do the math...

mistermonday 09-05-2013 08:29 AM

Re: Photoshop Creative Cloud??

Quote:

Originally Posted by poloman (Post 1945959)
Another way to look at it is as a payment plan. Add the cost of all the software you get with cc. Divide by the monthly fee. How long?
Do the math...

Again, the biggest issue is not the mothly cost. The issue is there is no acceptable disengagement process. You supposedly signed up to CC to take advantage of all the new tools and features and you make use of them and one day you find that you can no longer support the monthly subscription. You old version of PSCS6 will likely not be able to open all you psd files where you have used new incompatible layers or other structures like smart objects. It is clear what Adobe gets for its investment, what do you get for yours?

poloman 09-05-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermonday (Post 1945972)
Again, the biggest issue is not the mothly cost. The issue is there is no acceptable disengagement process. You supposedly signed up to CC to take advantage of all the new tools and features and you make use of them and one day you find that you can no longer support the monthly subscription. You old version of PSCS6 will likely not be able to open all you psd files where you have used new incompatible layers or other structures like smart objects. It is clear what Adobe gets for its investment, what do you get for yours?

How long?
The period is protracted enough that you would have been looking at the new versions anyway.
My big concern is that they keep their price stable...
If not, hoping for competition...

Doublehelix3216 09-05-2013 05:52 PM

This news is certainly good news, however I am not sure *how* good it is...

$10 per month is really not all that bad, but as mistermonday says, it is more than just the monthly fee.

Let's say I subscribe for $10 per month, and then 3 years from now something better comes along, or Adobe decides to raise the price to $30 per month, or whatever other scenario you can imagine for wanting to quit the program...

It is no big deal to buy another program, but what happens to all the work I have done over the last several years. Sure, I could save everything as a TIFF file, but as MM says, you lose a lot of things in a TIFF file and it may or may not be 100% compatible with whatever else I decide to switch to.

As MM keeps preaching, an exit strategy is essential here, even if it is an absurd amount, like $500, and you can stay locked in at wherever you are at the moment from a features perspective, gives me *some form* of an exit strategy (albeit, and expensive one!). Otherwise, I run the danger of having all of my edits rendered worthless, and I will end up with either unedited RAW files, flattened TIFFs or compressed RAW files.

Also, think about MM's comments about the $10 deal expiring on December 31st? What is up with that? If it truly is a "forever price", then why does it expire? So you are telling me that 3 years from now I will be paying $10 per month, but everyone else that joined after that date will be paying $20 (or whatever)? That seems very odd!!! If they are truly trying to show that they are supporting the photographers of the world and are making this a "forever price", then why does it expire? It makes sense from their perspective of course, but once again, this is Adobe thinking about things from their point of view and not ours.

PhotoGene47 09-06-2013 12:02 PM

The pricing plan, which is probably going to become the model for a lot of companies, has its pros and cons. I definitely understand both points of view.

The old method, offered the user the most freedom financially to decide whether or not to buy the upgrade. This may be an issue of affordability [a monthly bill versus what used to be a decision on the part of the user whether or not to pay for new software] or the lack of significant reasons to upgrade the software such as lack of new features, dislike of the new design or simply the fact that a person does not upgrade every time because of the learning curve when operation parameters are drastically changed. Also, new software tends to be somewhat buggy until fixed even after all the beta testing. This is probably due, in part, to the great number of different devices, drivers and software interactions. Additionally, if one does not wish to upgrade, the software in use is still usable. One size does not fit all and it is my belief that people are happiest when they perform a photo task with the least amount of time and effort. This usually means working with software that is most familiar to them.

The new plan works generally well for those interested in all the latest bells and whistles, having the full-featured software [access to more features as well as a wider range of software] and a better pricing model for those that do need or want the whole store. The company in question, in this case Adobe, has a more reliable source of income. They can upgrade on the fly which benefits the company and user. Of course, the flip side of this model is that it will only be successful if the user is well-satisfied with the software. Would you rent a house you did not like? You might for a little while until you found one that was more to your liking. With this model, it will probably be less forgiving than the purchase model. And, as has been pointed out by many, if you do not pay the fee annually or monthly, you lose the software when the rental period expires. This model may have to be re-examined. Why do people, if they can, buy homes or cars instead of leasing [renting] them? Granted, there is no tax or investment opportunity here but there is one major factor that still exists: price stability. When you buy a home or car, you are essentially creating your own form of rent control. With software, it may not be rent control per se to have a monthly lease but it is still a financial burden that many may opt to negate by finding another company even if it does have fewer bells and whistles. Budgets are very, very tight and frivolous or unnecessary spending will undoubtedly make or break this business model.

Nobody likes feeling like they are being herded like cattle instead of the freedom of the open range. A lot of people like the new business model also used by at least one other very large corporation at this time. A lot of people do not. One needs to ask how the company or companies succeeded to their current level and whether or not they can continue to succeed if a huge chunk of their customers decide to jump ship. There should be more options available for current and soon-to-be former customers. Options always make for better customer service.

Damsel 09-07-2013 06:12 PM

To be technically accurate, you do OWN the license that you bought. The license grants you the use of the software for the terms of the license, whatever they happen to be.
------
Regarding the $9.99 a month offer: Lightroom is NOT a CC product---it's a boxed product. So you would not get future upgrades to Lightroom unless you pay for them.
------
As for CC in general...for our organization, we would be going from ~$18,000 annual cost to ~$133,000 if we go to CC. Needless to say, I am not happy: we don't have the budget for it, so all of our kids will have to stay with CS6. Hopefully Adobe will come around, but I doubt it.

Doublehelix3216 09-07-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damsel (Post 1947375)
Regarding the $9.99 a month offer: Lightroom is NOT a CC product---it's a boxed product. So you would not get future upgrades to Lightroom unless you pay for them.

Actually, I am pretty sure that Lightroom is a CC product (as well as a boxed product). It is actually the only one on the product line that lives on both sides of the fence.

Damsel 09-10-2013 08:05 PM

Ah you're right about Lightroom :)

thcofer 09-19-2013 08:40 PM

Additional Info and update:

When I purchased Photoshop CC, I did so as a single app to keep the cost down. I did not have Lightroom and was using Bridge and ACR to process and load my photos into Photoshop. Lightroom was a separate download and additional cost. Yes, they did recently add a CC version and allow it to be downloaded even if you only purchased the single app upgrade.

Adobe does seem to be taking their move to CC seriously. They have had multiple updates since I joined, making minor improvements and fixing bugs. They have also added a few features, including fonts.

So far, I am still quite happy that I moved to CC. :)

bryan_h 09-19-2013 09:40 PM

Regarding the exit strategy:

I signed up for the trial of CS6 CC and installed on my laptop, but have yet to purchase a subscription. I am still running CS3 on my desktop. My CS6 CC on my laptop is now expired.

What I have found is that when it installed, it actually installed both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions on my laptop. If I try to run the 64-bit version after expiration, it pops up a message that I have to purchase a subscription to continue. If I try to run the 32-bit version, it runs just fine. As far as I can tell there are no limitations in the 32-bit version.

I don't know if it was intentionally done this way by Adobe, or if it may be a bug of some sort, but it may be their way of providing for an exit strategy without leaving their customers completely unable to read or edit their files.

Has anyone else had this experience? Is there anyone willing to try and see if this is a unique experience, or if it may be a "feature", for lack of a better term.