PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum

PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum (https://photocamel.com/forum/)
-   Computers and Software (https://photocamel.com/forum/computers-software/)
-   -   Photoshop Creative Cloud?? (https://photocamel.com/forum/computers-software/186084-photoshop-creative-cloud.html)

mistermonday 09-02-2013 12:34 PM

Re: Photoshop Creative Cloud??

Dr. No, just to be technically accurate, you never have owned any version of PS or any other s/w. The company created the s/w still owns it but they have granted you a perpetual license to use it with certain conditions. All that being said, there are a huge number of previous loyal Adobe customers who are indeed extemely upset with the new rental model.
Cheers, Murray

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_No (Post 1944305)
Adobe has successfully screwed the pooch with the conversion of their product line to 'SAAS' (Software As A Service'). I'll be damned if I'm going to part with my hard-earned cashola for what is, essentially, 'vaporware'. If, at the end of your paid subscription (length of that term is irrelevant), you choose to walk away and no longer shell out what will likely be ever-increasing user (a/k/a 'subscription') fees, you have no further ability to access your own product. Why? Because you will no longer have access to the program / app(-s) that created them. Adobe will hit the 'Kill Switch'.

I intend to remain firmly mired with my present boxed version of Photoshop CS5.1 until I can afford to purchase a boxed version of CS6. I do not rent software; I own it. Anything less than outright and complete ownership is unacceptable. If you don't own what you've purchased, you have no guarantee for use of the product(-s) you've bought - but don't own.

What, if any, incentive, will Adobe have to listen to complaints about their product? Their now-solidified subscription-based revenue stream is locked in, removing much of the incentive they may have had to concern themselves with customer complaints. Other than not renewing their subscription, 'Cloud' clients have little recourse should they become disgruntled with Adobe's TOS or product(-s).

There is also the little problem of storage. No, not storage in the 'Cloud' - I'm sure Adobe's server farms are quite large enough to store several bazillion zetabytes of data. I'm referring to personal local storage of 'Cloud'-created files once a subscriber says 'enough' and quits paying. Yes, Adobe will probably give ex-clients a modest amount of time to download their files (let's say a month) but the problem for the ex-client is then: Where do they store their downloaded 'stuff' ... ? They won't have bazillions of zetabytes. They won't have a server farm. They may have external hard drives if they're lucky. Depending on how long they remain 'Cloud'-based and how much work product they create, their ability to download files may be moot if they lack the storage capacity. Anyone doubt Adobe didn't factor this into their decision to go all 'Cloud'-y ... ? They're probably counting on it.

Dr_No 09-02-2013 12:45 PM

Murray, you're absolutely right and I should have been more precise in my statement. 'Perpetual Licence' is correct.

Doublehelix3216 09-03-2013 11:29 AM

For me, at least currently, the upgrade from CS6 to CC is not worth the upgrade (camera shake repair?). Someday, there may be more features to entice me, but at this point, I am fine with CS6 and LR5, both of which I own perpetual licences for.

I honestly have no intention of going CC, but "never say never" is wise advice indeed. Who knows how I will feel in a year or two, or when my (someday) new camera's RAW files are not recognized but the current version of ACR.

Until that time... NEVER! ;-)

joekolero 09-04-2013 09:28 PM

This should quiet some of the haters. Hard to complain about that price point.

Adobe Creative Cloud Bundle For Photographers Announced at Photoshop World - Terry White's Tech Blog

mistermonday 09-04-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joekolero (Post 1945800)
This should quiet some of the haters. Hard to complain about that price point.

Adobe Creative Cloud Bundle For Photographers Announced at Photoshop World - Terry White's Tech Blog

The offer still appears to be a bit of a bait and hook. I can only assume that if you do not have CS3 or later or if you do qualify but you do not sign up before Dec 31, then you will pay the regular price. That implies that even if you qualify and sign up by Dec 31, at some point in the future the price of 9.99 will rise because they will not be able to justify have two tiers of customers 2 or 3 years down the road who are paying full price and half price. The announcement stated that the 9.99 deal is not the 1 year special intro but it also does not say anything about future pricing. All that being stated, I still have my original #1 concern which was not the monthly cost - it was the lack of an acceptable disengagement solution. When it becomes necessary for people to terminate their subscription, they still have nothing and perhaps no access to the files they created.

poloman 09-04-2013 09:56 PM

That is why I save my files as tiffs...not psd.

mistermonday 09-04-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poloman (Post 1945811)
That is why I save my files as tiffs...not psd.

That works well until you have an RGB file with a nested smart object which was created in LAB color and has 50 hrs worth of dodge and burn layers. There are many other scenarios in which TIFF is not a workable solution.

Rust 09-04-2013 10:44 PM

I won't do the Cloud as I don't like having to pay a monthly fee. I have CS5 on one of my computers and CS6 on the other two. I like them both for now.

joekolero 09-05-2013 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermonday (Post 1945809)
I still have my original #1 concern which was not the monthly cost - it was the lack of an acceptable disengagement solution. When it becomes necessary for people to terminate their subscription, they still have nothing and perhaps no access to the files they created.

As I understand it, as long as you save your psd files to "maximize compatibility", you will be able to open your psd files in any older version of Photoshop you may have.

mistermonday 09-05-2013 07:44 AM

"Maximize Compatibility" means to keep as compatible as possible with older versions. So what do you do if you have layers with totally new Blend Modes or Smart Objects with new functionality? And what if the new xmp files are totally incompatible with older versions of Camera RAW?
Under the old licensing model, I would invest time learning and using new PS tools in the latest version of PS. I would purchase some of the latest books by Scott Kelby or Martin Evening or others. Perhaps some tutorials from gurus like Russel Brown, a NAPP subscription, Actions, and 3rd party filters. Those were investments of time and money that had value because I would always be able to use the latest version of PS for which they were purchased. It's a bit like making home improvements to a home you own. Why would I continue to make that investment to one that I am only renting and have to abandon that investment if I am forced to move. For me the bigger issue is not so much whether the rent for CC is $10/month or $20/month. This issue is there is no acceptable disengagement strategy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joekolero (Post 1945909)
As I understand it, as long as you save your psd files to "maximize compatibility", you will be able to open your psd files in any older version of Photoshop you may have.