Photoshop Creative Cloud?? - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013   #21
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Photoshop Creative Cloud??

It's my understanding that if you sign up for the cloud and something happens you can't continue, you cannot access you images as they are stored on the cloud
drspears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013   #22
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 64020146
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by drspears View Post
It's my understanding that if you sign up for the cloud and something happens you can't continue, you cannot access you images as they are stored on the cloud
I don't know about that one way or the other. I haven't tried to store them on the cloud yet.

I store my photos locally on my own computer. I have found that I was able to open photos that I edited with PS CC in my PS CS4 and edit them further. So... If I should decide to drop PS CC in the future, I think I would still have them and still be able to work with them in PS CS4.

Tom C.

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.
thcofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013   #23
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 412361

Currently using CS 6. I think I need a great deal more time to really master it, especially when one can upgrade the ACR plug-in to 8.1 for free. The new ACR is awesome and will keep me exploring all its capabilities for a while longer. So, no Cloud envy!
raghunath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013   #24
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 106042
Editing OK?: Ask First

I'm just answering your question without checking the responses because I've already gone through all the threads that started when the CC was announced. Bottom line seems to be that it's good for professionals; neutral to bad for hobbyists.

People don't like change, so a lot of "end of world" hyperbole and "new coke" references. Most of the gripes are based on bad information. Adobe could have done a better marketing job of educating it's customer base.

My experience has been positive. I use Lightroom, Photoshop, Dreamweaver and to a lesser extent, Audition, Premiere and Illustrator. But the cloud has got me to expand and experiment with the usefulness of other programs such as Edge. All in all, I like it.
joekolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013   #25
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 4387
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by drspears View Post
Adobe couln't have screwed up the name of their new venture any better if it had tried.
The program is stored and operates from your hard drive.
All the files you create are stored on your hard drive (UNLESS you choose to store files on Adobe's servers ... the majority of people will not do this).
If the internet goes "down", you can still use your program because it is on YOUR hard drive and you can still edit existing files ... because they are on YOUR hard drive.
The only "CLOUD" part of CC is that your computer needs to connected to the internet to verify your Adobe product has been paid for the next billing cycle ... and to save/store files to Adobe's server IF YOU CHOOSE TO DO THAT.
Old 07-01-2013   #26
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 169270948

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceCo55 View Post
Adobe couln't have screwed up the name of their new venture any better if it had tried.
The program is stored and operates from your hard drive.
All the files you create are stored on your hard drive (UNLESS you choose to store files on Adobe's servers ... the majority of people will not do this).
If the internet goes "down", you can still use your program because it is on YOUR hard drive and you can still edit existing files ... because they are on YOUR hard drive.
The only "CLOUD" part of CC is that your computer needs to connected to the internet to verify your Adobe product has been paid for the next billing cycle ... and to save/store files to Adobe's server IF YOU CHOOSE TO DO THAT.
Well stated. A big problem with Adobe's new "subscription only" model occurs when you discontinue your subscription. You walk away without a functioning version of PS. You may have kept your previously purchased version of CS5 or CS6 but if you have saved files with new CC layer types or file formats which are not compatible with the older versions, you potentially have a major problem on your hands. The problem with Adobe's new model is that there is no graceful disengagement, no buyout. If you want off the crack train, you are thrown off cold turkey.
Cheers, Murray
mistermonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013   #27
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 64020146

I'm trying real hard to get used to and like ACR 8.1.
I'm finding it very difficult to get the adjustments to something that I like.
I guess the biggest problem is that I used version 5.7 for so long that I knew exactly what to do and the newer version is completely different in it's adjustments. Other than that, I've been very happy with going to PS CC so far.

Tom C.

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.
thcofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013   #28
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 418649

I have cc and really like it. There are a lot of non- trivial niceties in the new software. Very happy I did it.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013   #29
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 3283

Unfortunately, the cutoff time for upgrading to Photoshop 6 was Dec 2012...at that time you could have upgraded for $199. IMHO a much better deal than $240/yr.

I think that they should offer both models, as they could have a lot of new customers while keeping loyal ones happy. There are a lot of people that either have very old versions because of not being able to afford the upgrades, and those who have never been able to afford the software at all. For those groups, CC gives them an opportunity finally. For those who have shelled out thousands of dollars over the years, it's another story.

However, what choice do we have? I'll tell you what is particularly irksome is the attitude of Adobe when dealing with them on this. We have large contracts with Adobe because of the nature of the organization that I work for. It has been like pulling teeth to get information about how the new licensing models will affect our contracts, and we have been waiting two weeks now for pricing. The Adobe rep was condescending and evasive, and I walked away with nothing more than a feeling of, this is how it is now, deal with it. On principal I will investigate other tools. Unfortunately it won't matter, they will pick up enough new people to make up for the few they lose. It's sad to see such an awesome company go for the money grab. Will have to wait and see how it all pans out
Damsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013   #30
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 929

Adobe has successfully screwed the pooch with the conversion of their product line to 'SAAS' (Software As A Service'). I'll be damned if I'm going to part with my hard-earned cashola for what is, essentially, 'vaporware'. If, at the end of your paid subscription (length of that term is irrelevant), you choose to walk away and no longer shell out what will likely be ever-increasing user (a/k/a 'subscription') fees, you have no further ability to access your own product. Why? Because you will no longer have access to the program / app(-s) that created them. Adobe will hit the 'Kill Switch'.

I intend to remain firmly mired with my present boxed version of Photoshop CS5.1 until I can afford to purchase a boxed version of CS6. I do not rent software; I own it. Anything less than outright and complete ownership is unacceptable. If you don't own what you've purchased, you have no guarantee for use of the product(-s) you've bought - but don't own.

What, if any, incentive, will Adobe have to listen to complaints about their product? Their now-solidified subscription-based revenue stream is locked in, removing much of the incentive they may have had to concern themselves with customer complaints. Other than not renewing their subscription, 'Cloud' clients have little recourse should they become disgruntled with Adobe's TOS or product(-s).

There is also the little problem of storage. No, not storage in the 'Cloud' - I'm sure Adobe's server farms are quite large enough to store several bazillion zetabytes of data. I'm referring to personal local storage of 'Cloud'-created files once a subscriber says 'enough' and quits paying. Yes, Adobe will probably give ex-clients a modest amount of time to download their files (let's say a month) but the problem for the ex-client is then: Where do they store their downloaded 'stuff' ... ? They won't have bazillions of zetabytes. They won't have a server farm. They may have external hard drives if they're lucky. Depending on how long they remain 'Cloud'-based and how much work product they create, their ability to download files may be moot if they lack the storage capacity. Anyone doubt Adobe didn't factor this into their decision to go all 'Cloud'-y ... ? They're probably counting on it.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: