PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum

PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum (https://photocamel.com/forum/)
-   Computers and Software (https://photocamel.com/forum/computers-software/)
-   -   Photoshop Creative Cloud?? (https://photocamel.com/forum/computers-software/186084-photoshop-creative-cloud.html)

mistermonday 03-18-2014 08:32 PM

Re: Photoshop Creative Cloud??

As anticipated, today at 4pm Adobe released its Fiscal results for Q1-2014 which ended on Feb 28. These folks are absolute masters of spin. Last Dec Adobe posted it's annual report for Fiscal 2013 which ended on Nov 30. The numbers looked bad. Revenue and profit both down from FY2012 and the table comparing the various components 2013 vs 2012 in that annual report provides some interesting insight on the significant slip. Adobe spun a really neat "dog ate my homework" scenario blaming the transition form licensed s/w to cloud subscription as a primary reason. Hiding in the cloud was a good move but its one that can only last for a few quarters until the discontinuity of the old vs new revenue streams have to smooth out.
At the close of business today, Adobe released the Q1-2014 fiscal results. Revenue is down slightly from Q1-2013, and profits is down slightly. By trimming operating costs Adobe managed to save enough money to make the bottom line yr over year results close but the bottom line is quarter over quarter is slightly down in a business which should be up, not flat. The intro to the released results has a bunch of spin lines - like " Adobe exited the quarter with 1.8M paid CC customers, and increase of 405 thousand customer". Well yes, that's because there is no affordable way for a huge number of customers to access the software. And they say that in Q1 more than half of Adobe's revenue came from Subscriptions like CC. Well like duh, since CC is becoming the only practical the majority of users to engage, it would seem like that's where the revenue has to come from. It's not like the customers are embracing the cloud loving the Koolaid. Adobe had provided the analysts with a window of revenue forecast. The top end of the window was less than Q1 2013 and the bottom of the window was $50M below that. Now they are bragging that they hit the top of the window and the analysts will love them.
And of coarse, Adobe did not share the number of customers who were lost in the transition to CC and did not mention how much of the revenue in the past 2 quarters resulted form the panic buying of CS6 by customers who will not transition. That revenue will not be recurrent.
Is Adobe feeding the markets smoke and mirrors or did Adobe make a correct call that the world will jump on to the CC bandwagon, like it or not. Well, Adobe has all the numbers and can easily predict how the rest of this year will play out. In the end though, the numbers will play out to reality and those numbers will become public, over the next 3 quarters worst case. And that's about as long as Adobe will have to hide in the cloud.
Cheers, Murray

moonrakerz 03-19-2014 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Scubadiver (Post 2043635)
Instead of exporting use the image processor. This can be called from a drop down menu in Bridge.

Agreed - but as Dr No says why should you have to ? If "Export to" worked why remove it ? Why not make it even better ? "Export to" in 97 different formats to 98 different locations ?

I find Adobe's comment about using LR even more bizarre - why tell you to use a completely different software package (LR) when the one they have ruined is still capable of doing what you want - albeit in a roundabout way.
Are they incapable of understanding what their own software can do ???

Dr_No 03-19-2014 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonrakerz (Post 2043815)
Agreed - but as Dr No says why should you have to ? If "Export to" worked why remove it ? Why not make it even better ? "Export to" in 97 different formats to 98 different locations ?

I find Adobe's comment about using LR even more bizarre - why tell you to use a completely different software package (LR) when the one they have ruined is still capable of doing what you want - albeit in a roundabout way.
Are they incapable of understanding what their own software can do ???

Makes one wonder if these little 'workarounds' are 'need-to-know' in order to pass the 'Adobe Certified Expert' test ...

mistermonday 03-19-2014 09:14 AM

One of the biggest concerns I have about the cloud is the removal of commands, filters, and tools that Adobe decides to either no longer support. You get no vote and there is no way to regress to an older version of CC.

Dr_No 03-19-2014 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermonday (Post 2043890)
One of the biggest concerns I have about the cloud is the removal of commands, filters, and tools that Adobe decides to either no longer support. You get no vote and there is no way to regress to an older version of CC.

Repeat as needed: "It's not a bug; it's an undocumented feature."

There may be lots of people joining you in that queue ... what's that old saying about 'Act in haste, repent at leisure' ... ?

I'm using PSCS6 Extended on OS X 10.6.8 ('Snow Leopard'), and have no intention of changing either ... if it ain't broke ...

Mike_PEAT 03-20-2014 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermonday (Post 2043890)

That was always the case when they update...I was REALLY angry when they removed the Render -> Lighting Effects for instance.

mistermonday 03-20-2014 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT (Post 2044157)
That was always the case when they update...I was REALLY angry when they removed the Render -> Lighting Effects for instance.

True. However, you were always able to leave all of your earlier versions of PS installed on your PC so that you could always still have those removed items still available to you. You can't do that with CC.

"One version to rule them all,
One version to find them;
One version to bring them all
and in the darkness bind them"

Cheers, Murray

poloman 03-20-2014 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermonday (Post 2044231)
True. However, you were always able to leave all of your earlier versions of PS installed on your PC so that you could always still have those removed items still available to you. You can't do that with CC.

"One version to rule them all,
One version to find them;
One version to bring them all
and in the darkness bind them"

Cheers, Murray

Cloud members have full access to CS6.

Dr_No 03-20-2014 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT (Post 2044157)

Exactly. This is why PSCS4 and PSCS5 (Extended) are each still on my Mac along with PSCS6 (Extended).

mistermonday 03-20-2014 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poloman (Post 2044254)
Cloud members have full access to CS6.

I believe that making CS6 available is part of Adobe's transition strategy, carefully thought out and planned. At the appropriate time Adobe will remove CS6 and cease support for it.