Need a Projector recommendation
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 114127
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Need a Projector recommendation

Hello All,

I'm looking to buy a projector to do projection image reviews for my customers. I'm currently using a 50" Panasonic Plasma TV of which I am not happy with. This TV has limited color adjustment and my blues come out looking purple and the skin tones are off. I've read the manual cover to cover and there is no way to get the colors more accurate. I'm looking for a projector that has accurate colors so my images don't have a color cast. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I've been told that a projector with 2000 lumens would have better colors than the 3000 lumen projectors. My studio has no windows so I don't need a bright projector and do not plan to take it off-site for office presentations.

Thanks

Old 05-31-2013   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 256
Default Re: Need a Projector recommendation

I would be interested to know as well.
Lance Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2891

Good luck...projectors are still in their infancy, and a decent one for images (AdobeRGB) is at least $5000 last I looked.

If your monitor is conected to a computer via VGA or DVI connector, how about using a Spyder or other colorimeter?
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013   #4
Vicuna

If your monitor is conected to a computer via VGA or DVI connector, how about using a Spyder or other colorimeter?[/QUOTE]

I have an X-rite i1 Pro but the TV does not have options to adjust the TV. I guess I can read some of the projector manuals and see if they have color adjustments.
countryfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139
Editing OK?: Yes

I think Mark McCall projects his presentations. Maybe I can lure him over for his input.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013   #6
Llama

CamelKarma: 455110

I have an older Epson PowerLite 78 that I have used on location to show proofs of my portraits for the past 4 years. It's not Epson's best but it only cost me about $500 at the time. The colors look great and the brightness is enough even in a somewhat well lit room. My clients are at least 8-10 feet (and up to 15 sometimes) and I project to about 20x24 but have done 30x40 in the past. Depends on room size.

I also use ProSelect. I'm not sure what size jpegs it downsizes to but I shoot raw+med jpeg and it uses those jpegs to sample from. Some versions can take the jpeg from the raws as well. My older version can't. But, the images look great even to me when I am back at least that 10 feet. I'm sure Epson's newer ones are better and I am sure even those costing $500-$800 would be fine. But a lot depends on how you show. I crop to the ratio but never zoom in or anything. Realize I get orders that range from $300 to $2000. So the quality of my projected images is never an issue.
Old 06-02-2013   #7
Vicuna

Thanks for the advice. I've used older Epson's as well for DVD slideshows and wasn't too concerned about the colors. But when an image has a purple cast with a blue color, it looks pretty hocky.
countryfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014   #8
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525

A bit of thread CPR here.
I'm involved with a photo club here in Indy - the club owns a projector, and it sucks.
A big TV isn't practical as we don't always meet in the same space so whatever we use needs to be toteable.

1080 HD would be good. Wide gamut is totally unnecessary, but we need enough color depth that the highlights and shadows aren't completely lost. Just need a decent display. We'd be OK buying a good screen too, as I'm sure that matters. We have a few old projection screens for the task - don't know how much room there is for improvement there is in the screen department.

Any recent positive experiences with projectors? The club can afford to spend a bit, so it doesn't need to be in the rock-bottom price range.
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014   #9
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryfarmboy View Post
Hello All,

I'm looking to buy a projector to do projection image reviews for my customers. I'm currently using a 50" Panasonic Plasma TV of which I am not happy with. This TV has limited color adjustment and my blues come out looking purple and the skin tones are off. I've read the manual cover to cover and there is no way to get the colors more accurate. I'm looking for a projector that has accurate colors so my images don't have a color cast. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I've been told that a projector with 2000 lumens would have better colors than the 3000 lumen projectors. My studio has no windows so I don't need a bright projector and do not plan to take it off-site for office presentations.

Thanks
Just a thought, but before I would get a projector, I would get a TV with a HDMI input. You can use a PC/Laptop/Phone to drive the HDMI input of the TV and now you have a tool that works like an adjustable wrench...

I use my phone and a HDMI cable, and regularly connect to a customers TV, or my own to show photos or videos.

Hope this helps,

110yd

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: