Scanning 35 mm negatives and slides
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 139
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Scanning 35 mm negatives and slides

I've got a few thousand negatives and slides I'd like to digitise. Can anyone recommend some kit to achieve that with as much quality as possible and hopefully, automated?

Canon 5D, Canon 5DSr, Canon 16-35 mm f/4 L USM EF, Canon 24-105 f/4.0 L USM IS EF, Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD, Canon 70-200 f2.8 L MK II USM IS EF, Canon 100mm f2.8 USM EF macro, Canon 2x Mk III converter, Canon 580 EX II flash, Yonghuo 568EX II flash, Sigma EM-140 DG EO-ETTL Macro Flash, Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 tripod with MHXPRO-BHQ2 ballhead. Manfrotto 790B Monopod.
boristhemoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Default Re: Scanning 35 mm negatives and slides

A photography shop in your area that scans negatives and slides and puts them on disk for you.

Scanning thousands of slides and negatives and the word automated really don't belong in the same sentence.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #3
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 758661
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphonslair99 View Post
A photography shop in your area that scans negatives and slides and puts them on disk for you.

Scanning thousands of slides and negatives and the word automated really don't belong in the same sentence.
Thousands at a local shop?

Keeble & Shuchat in Palo Alto gets $1.50 per neg or slide up to 100, discounts all the way to $1.00 over 100.

North Coast in San Diego area gets $2.25 for a roughly 16MP scan. Roughly 6MP costs $.65 each.

At these prices one could buy a very good dedicated film scanner and save money.

Of course, there is the India option.
Bob Ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #4
Llama

Yeah s shop is not an option. I've found a couple of negative scanners, going to see if any of them are good enough.
Given that it's a 35mm negative, what's the best resolution to be scanning at?
Canon 5D, Canon 5DSr, Canon 16-35 mm f/4 L USM EF, Canon 24-105 f/4.0 L USM IS EF, Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD, Canon 70-200 f2.8 L MK II USM IS EF, Canon 100mm f2.8 USM EF macro, Canon 2x Mk III converter, Canon 580 EX II flash, Yonghuo 568EX II flash, Sigma EM-140 DG EO-ETTL Macro Flash, Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 tripod with MHXPRO-BHQ2 ballhead. Manfrotto 790B Monopod.
Old 05-30-2013   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 19072

Get a macro lens (you need/want that anyway). See Scanning thousands of slides? Try a digital camera

The ES-1 is not required (but it is convenient). It only works with short macro lenses anyway, but for any 1:1 lens, it should be easy to kludge some (conveniently loaded) slide holder at the right distance in front of the macro lens, with a diffused flash behind it. Or second choice, an illuminated white background behind it. Elegance and long life of that fixture seems unnecessary, you will only do this once.

Four Flash Fundamentals We Must Know
WayneF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #6
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 169270948

Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhemoggy View Post
Yeah s shop is not an option. I've found a couple of negative scanners, going to see if any of them are good enough.
Given that it's a 35mm negative, what's the best resolution to be scanning at?
You might be able to pick up a used Nikon Coolscan V neg/slide scanner. It has a resolution of 4000 dpi optical. So a 35mm slide or negative results in a 4000 x 6000 = 24 megapixel image which will give you excellent print quality at 13 x 20" or even higher.
I used one to scan 15000 negs and slides. You can scan a stirp of 4 or 6 negatives automatically but slides need to be done one at a time unless you buy a fancy expensive auto feeder attachment for it.
I do not recomend using a DSLR to photograph the media - it won't be anywhere near as good a quality.

Minolta also made some good film / neg scanners in it's Dimage line.
Cheers, Murray
mistermonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #7
Llama

CamelKarma: 19072

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
I do not recomend using a DSLR to photograph the media - it won't be anywhere near as good a quality.
? If you have a good DSLR and good macro lens, the picture can be as good as the slide. Much better sensor quality today, and the scanner does not have anything to compare to the macro lenses... which are as good as it gets, as yet. 12 megapixels can be equivalent of a 3000 dpi scan. Just done all at once in a click, instead of a motor creeping across the film, and reconstructed.

My notion is that the day of film scanners is past. Most are not made anymore. The Nikon V was a good one, but all of them were extremely slow at best.

Four Flash Fundamentals We Must Know
WayneF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #8
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 2082

I have an Epson V500 Photo Scanner. Does a pretty good job with negs and slides. The holder holds a half a dozen at a time for scanning. Back in film days there was an attachment that screwed on the front of your lens. You dropped a slide in it and took the shot. Nowadays if you had this you would be able to see the final instantly. Dont know where you can get them now. Since a lot of people are still transitioning from film to digital you would think the slide copier would be more readily available.

Sigma 10-20 f4 . . . . . . . . . . Sigma 28 f1.8 . . . . . . . . . . . Sigma 28-300 f3.5
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #9
Llama

CamelKarma: 144834
Editing OK?: Ask first

Or you could get an older Epson scanner. I have the Epson Perfection 2450 Photo that I got really cheap on ebay. Just make sure it comes with the negative holders. The unit does 35mm, 2 1/4 and 4x5 negatives and transparencies.
mjp321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #10
Llama

I would be happy to use my digital camera if I had an attachment to hold the negatives. Although I'm not sure how you convert them from photo negatives, to photo positives.
I'll keep looking for lens attachments.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: