Scanning 35 mm negatives and slides - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013   #21
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Scanning 35 mm negatives and slides

I too am struggling over the options...a used Nikon coolscan will set you back $4,000 if you get it cheap! There are two scanners that I am looking at, well 3 actually. The plustek OpticFilm 8200i, The Pacific Image PrimeFilm 7250 Pro3, or the old standy Epson Flatbed V750. The benefit to the Epson, in my opinion, is that you can scan a whole platen worth of slides at a time.(I used to do this back in the early 1990's) Back then i didn't have Lightroom, just photoshop...the added labor of cutting and pasting each slide has to be considered for this method, but it gives you a master(like a slide sleeve on a light table) that you can refer back to when you want an individual print. The first two scanners mentioned offer better results, but one at a time! And very much rely on packaged software. The Camera method will not give the desired result unless you build a copystand type arrangement, with a bellows and a proper lens.The light must be diffuse and dead even or the results will be less than satisfactory...I am leaning towards the Flatbed with the backlight.....but wish I had a few thousand dollars for the Nikon CoolScan 9000. Just curious if you ever purchased anything and what the results were...cheers

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: