Scanning 35 mm negatives and slides - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013   #11
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Scanning 35 mm negatives and slides

Don't waste your time scanning our own slides and negatives if you have more than a few to do...getting good results (dust free, scratch free, good exposure) is a lot more difficult and time consuming than you may think. If you're doing just a few, the camera and macro lens approach is probably the best.

If you have a bunch of slides and negs to scan, the smartest and fastest thing to do is outsource the job to a professional scanner service. ScanCafe is an example, and they're pretty competitively priced. You may find they (or similar services) can do it just as cheaply as you investing in a scanner and the time to learn to use it well. They'll definitely get the job done faster, and probably better than you would.

Here's a link...go check it out: ScanCafe - Photo Scanning, Negative Scanning, Slide Scanning, Video Transfer, Photo Restoration
jhthurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #12
Llama

CamelKarma: 19072

Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhemoggy View Post
I would be happy to use my digital camera if I had an attachment to hold the negatives. Although I'm not sure how you convert them from photo negatives, to photo positives.
I'll keep looking for lens attachments.

You don't need an "attachment" (however they do might make it convenient, a convenient holder, easy to load, fixed to eliminate shake, etc).

You only need to hold the slide at the right distance in front of the (tripod mounted) macro lens. There need not be any connection, it is just a macro picture, but "easy to load" mounting is good.
There are lots of ways, investigate https://www.google.com/search?q=copy...s+with+cameras

You light the film from behind, with any usable light source, incandescent, window light, etc, but flash is very good, either direct and diffused, or bounced on a white card.

The camera method is great for slides, but not great for color negatives. We can easily invert (usually there is an invert menu in photo editors), but removing the orange mask (which becomes deep blue inverted) is too big a job for digital (digital has end-points at 255 and 0, after which there ain't no more.) That filtering job is best done analog (before digitizing). Negative scanners do it by exposing the exposure time of the green and blue channels significantly longer than the red channel (analog ... no end limits).

Four Flash Fundamentals We Must Know
WayneF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #13
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 2082

Good bit of info on color neg scanning Wayne, thanks.

Sigma 10-20 f4 . . . . . . . . . . Sigma 28 f1.8 . . . . . . . . . . . Sigma 28-300 f3.5
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #14
Alpaca

Editing OK?: No

I've had reasonable results using a Canon 8800F run through SilverFast scanning software
on both 35mm and 6x6 film and trannies, with well oiled PS/editing skills you'll get great images...
bahny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #15
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 22

I got a old Nikon film scanner but it is slow and tedious to say the least. I also bought an Epson scanner that will scan multiple prints at once and divide into individual files. I haven't checked to see if it will do the same with negatives or slides.
Circle_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #16
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1172121
Editing OK?: No

I had the same situation several years back and I ended up scanning them myself with a scanner that scanned slides and photo negatives (built into the lid).

I still have it and won't part with it (although it's a dinosaur) because I can't find another one like it.

Good luck in your search, but if you don't want to spend too much $$, your best bet may be to purchase a quality scanner and do it yourself a few at a time.

Also, I see you questioned getting your photo-negatives transferred into photo-positives... The scanner will do that for you if it's a scanner with the built in option... you simply tell the software it comes with that you're scanning negative or slides or photos.

See more photos taken by Liltiger: http://www.flickr.com/photos/83928012@N07/
Liltiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #17
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liltiger View Post
I had the same situation several years back and I ended up scanning them myself with a scanner that scanned slides and photo negatives (built into the lid).

I still have it and won't part with it (although it's a dinosaur) because I can't find another one like it.

Good luck in your search, but if you don't want to spend too much $$, your best bet may be to purchase a quality scanner and do it yourself a few at a time.

Also, I see you questioned getting your photo-negatives transferred into photo-positives... The scanner will do that for you if it's a scanner with the built in option... you simply tell the software it comes with that you're scanning negative or slides or photos.
+1

Automated = $$$$ for someone else to do.

DIY. No automation, at a reasonable cost, but you also end up with a piece of equipment that is a multi-tasker that you can continue to use.

This might be an interesting read if you are looking at a scanner and don't want to pay $700 for the Epson V700. Scanner Review: Epson Perfection V600

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #18
Alpaca

Editing OK?: Ask first

I did the family's 50 plus years some time ago - after I retired. There is no alternative, it is a slow, but enjoyable process. There were thousands of photos, spanning generations, continents and countries. The oldest was taken in 1905. So if you are willing to make the investment of time, here are some suggestions. Buy a good scanner, I bought a Microtech i800. that was in 2005 approx, and I think there are better out there now, but the i800 is still reasonably well regarded. It will handle 12 slides at once and I've forgotten how many negatives.

Use a photo browser which will allow you to enter IPTC comments. These become an integral part of the file and will be of great value in years to come when your grandchildren examine the photos in different browsers and on different computers.

Editing. I didn't process the files as they were created from the negatives, believing that it would be better to do so later. Mistake, I would do some processing using the software provided by the scanner if I did it again.

That's about all, that and time.

Good luck.
zedex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #19
Alpaca

Editing OK?: Ask first

Thanks to Wayne for good info, i amgoing to try the macro route, have a couple of good lenes and a Sony a100 which i don't use much. Also zeems like tethering would be a natural. Go right to the hard drive. That may be next winter's project.
zedex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013   #20
bw3
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 34808

I used a Nikon Coolscan for quite some time. Worked just fine. I now use an Epson Perfection 4870 that does a good job on any neg or positive from 35mm thru 4x5. As mentioned above, the negative holders are important. With many to scan, it's a time consuming task.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: