Most expensive computer you owned
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 11
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Most expensive computer you owned

What's the top price you ever paid for a computer?

In your mind, what is the most that you should pay for a computer today?

Old 04-15-2013   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 910905
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Most expensive computer you owned

In 1983 I was doing some creative writing. I was given a new IBM selectric III as a gift. But, I had heard about word processors. Creative writing is a lot more about editing and word processors are great for that, as opposed to white out! I bought a Xerox Parrot Word Processor (just a word processor mind you, no other programs); a big monster, with 5 1/4 floppy drive, and a daisy wheel printer, for $5000. We've come along way!!

website portals:
www.facebook.com/kenfieldsphotography
www.facebook.com/MauiIslandPortraits

kenwae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #3
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

In early 80's after the Sinclair experience.
Got an Apple II+ with peripherals and printer for around $5K.

My last build 2 years ago was close to $2K. (purchased at distributor price)
With 2 SSD's, 4 1tr HD's, 16gb Ram, Intel Business class System Board, I7 CPU and Blu-Ray writer and a few accessories.
mipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013   #4
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 23626
Editing OK?: Yes

In my case it was a Toshiba laptop back in the mid 90s to give to my dauther for her law school work at the University. At the time, the School of Law was highly recommending the all law students got one. I paid about $2000 for it, that, at the time, was quite a bit of money for me.

What type of computer you should get? Since I am a computer professional, I get that question quite often. My answers are:

If you only want to get into the Internet and maybe send some e-mail, then the cheapest one will do fine. I estimate that this type of machine will be sufficient for 98% of computer users.
If you are into photography and/or graphic design, then you need one with lots of memory and maybe one or more large disks drives. A good quality large monitor will also be nice.
If your are in gaming, then you need a stay-of-the-art with the most powerful processor available, lots of memory and high end video card driving an high end monitor. Be ready to spend lots of $$$ in this system.
If you want to use it for business, a small to medium system ($500-$1,000) would do just fine, just made sure the OS is a business oriented OS, in other words, do not get Windows 7 Home edition and expect it to work in a networking environment.

Hope this helps.

Joe
joeinmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 13655016

ALR 386-20. Spent about $5000 for that setup and it was a doorstop way too quickly. But I never tried for state of the art again.
Old 04-23-2013   #6
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525

I don't recall the exact price, but I think it was probably my Gateway 386 tower. I remember it had dual 150MB hard disks (full height 5-1/4) and 8MB of RAM. Those disks were $500 each and RAM was well over $100/MB at the time. I think the total was in the $3500-$4000 range. It sounded like a small twin-engine aircraft when those dual disks were spinning up.

The disks are now very nice bookends - covers removed to show the platters.
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #7
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139

I think my first was an 80386 machine and I don't recall the RAM but it ran at Turbo speed 12mps, maybe. It had a huge whopping 20 meg hard drive. It was a desktop style and the color monitor sat atop it had 3.5" and a 5.5" and a CD reader/player. Got the entire kit with an Epson 600 printer for about $2500.

A month ago I picked up a closeout Windows 7 laptop with 2 gig of ram and runs at 1.60 GHz with 250 gb. I threw another 4 gigs of RAM into the empty slot and picked up a carrying case all for less than $300.

Times they are a changing.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 90102
Editing OK?: No

April 1983 Compaq released the first "portable". At 28 pounds (almost 40 pounds with the optional case) it was more a luggable than a portable... lol. It came with two 5.25" floppies.

May 1983 I bought one with the added options of the case, a 10mb hard drive, the upgrade to 640k of RAM and a 300 baud modem. Total price... hang on... $5800Cdn plus taxes. It had the most advanced processor of the time... an 8088 that ran at an amazing 4.77Mhz!

OK, I think I justed dated myself... lol

Today, the prices are actually quite a bit less but price is not as important as knowing what you NEED. Nowadays, if you are the least bit thrifty, know how to shop and deal and can assemble yourself, you should not need to spend $2500 for a computer, I don't care what your amateur photographic needs are.

My friend, over a 4 month period built himself an intel i7 3.6ghz, Sabertooth liquid-cooled MB, 16gb RAM, nice disco style case, a 256gb SSD boot drive and a 1tb data drive and twin video cards, bluetooth mouse and keyboard, all for $925, so I would tend to say that most here are likely overspending if you are putting out over $1000 for a desktop. Monitors are not included but you can spend from $125 to $3500, depending again in what you want.

My needs are a little more exotic than most as I do this for a living and currently have a 12 computers, one 42TB fibre-optic SAN, a 17TB NAS, 3 firewall protected network in my basement, all linked on a Cisco 300 series SOHO managed switch network. I'll be cutting that down to 1 workstation and 3 servers in the near future thanks to VMWare and Hyper-V virtualization.

So what would I spend for a workstation? Today, nothing over $1000 at most. For that amount of money, it would have to be a killer system too.

BTW, I still have that Compaq Plus here somewhere!

"...Bonum certamen certavi, cursum consumavi et fidem servavi..."
jerryph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #9
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

That Damn iMac I own now......don't get me wrong, I LOVE it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPress View Post
What's the top price you ever paid for a computer?

In your mind, what is the most that you should pay for a computer today?
Cali-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #10
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 43480375
Editing OK?: Ask First

$3,500.00.
That was for a MAC FX. full memory slots, external drive & a color monitor. We had B/W monitors @ work so the color unit was the hot set-up. 1992.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: