Most expensive computer you owned - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013   #21
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 11755
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Most expensive computer you owned

The "most" expensive was an Apple Lisa when it was first introduced. I think I paid somewhere around $9,000 for it. I also bought a Systel CPM based word processor which included an Olympia Electronic typewriter for the keyboard and was about $5600. My first IBM AT was about $5200 as I remember...

Lin

Lin
http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013   #22
Llama

CamelKarma: 58067
Cool Re: Most expensive computer you owned

my fist pc was a clone from compusa. cost me $1700+. it had 2 5 1/4 floppies, 512 ram, color monitor, dot-matrix printer, and ran at either 4 or 10 mhz.
my current desktop is a home built w/8gb ram, 2 cd/dvd rw drives, 4 internal hdd, a 21' lcd monitor, several external hdds, a canon color printer, and twin speakers.
initial cost was about $1100 but with the added peripherals, it has cost about $1500-1700.
the first laptop I bought was xmas before last and ran $390 at wally world. 3 gb ram 350 gb hdd.
my os' are desktop: xp pro, vista, win 7 ultimate 32, win 7 ultimate 64, win 8 8 pro 64. only vista has been dumped.
laptop has win 7 64 home premium.
only home premium came pre-installed. all the others, except vista, are retail. vista was oem version from a pc parts supply retail store. it was also, the worst os I have ever used. even dos was better. and I didn't really like dos.
chessmaster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013   #23
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 14
Editing OK?: Ask first

My first was a "Kaypro" that had 2 - 5 1/4 floppy drives, no hard drive, monochrome monitor, & keyboard, all self contained that bundled up like a suite case to carry. It had to be plugged in though, no battery and no mouse either.
danr856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013   #24
Alpaca

I forgot the price, but seems like it was in the $1,000 range.
Old 06-30-2013   #25
Alpaca

After working with pcs for 25 years both on the job and at home I bought a Mac Pro ($2500) a year ago and I am still trying to learn that system. It is not as user friendly as they say.
Old 07-06-2013   #26
Llama

CamelKarma: 58067
Talking Re: Most expensive computer you owned

Quote:
Originally Posted by danr856 View Post
After working with pcs for 25 years both on the job and at home I bought a Mac Pro ($2500) a year ago and I am still trying to learn that system. It is not as user friendly as they say.
that's because apple doesn't want you to know. if they did, they'd send you a cheat sheet, and manual.
chessmaster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013   #27
Llama

CamelKarma: 316487

Quote:
I bought a Mac Pro ($2500) a year ago and I am still trying to learn that system. It is not as user friendly as they say.
Like the saying goes: The road to hell is paved with good intentions. You still have time to repent though.
gumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013   #28
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1161

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryph View Post
if you are the least bit thrifty, know how to shop and deal and can assemble yourself, you should not need to spend $2500 for a computer, I don't care what your amateur photographic needs are.
That's a big "if", Jerryph.
There are plenty on this and other boards who do not really know what they need, many who are less than capable at shopping, even less capable at dealing.

And, I think you will find very few who know how to assemble today's machines.

You do this professionally, so, for you, it's very simple.

Plumbing is simple, carpentry is simple, auto mechanics is very simple, all are simple to the person trained in that particular trade.

If you aren't in the trade, you might spend the time it takes to get a college degree to learn how to properly build a computer from scratch. You might spend a lifetime on fora sorting through differing opinions on what is "best".

That said, none of my computers have been more that $1200, including the one I use now, an Asus G74 laptop built around an Intel Core i7 processor with 16 GB Ram, plenty of storage, and one of the worst keyboards I have used (actually, I don't use it except in emergencies. I use a wireless USB keyboard instead).

I can take apart a PC, fix some things, but it would take more time than I have available to build one from scratch, although that would, I think, be lots of fun.

Respectfully,

Caruso
Carusoswi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #29
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 87267

My iMac 24" was about $2000 but has lasted quite a while. I still have the original operating system. It has slowed down a lot and I am considering a new purchase.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: