Your first computer - what were the specs?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 3356
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Your first computer - what were the specs?

Thought it would be interesting to talk about our first...our first computer. What were the specs of your first computer?

Mine:

2 5 1/4-inch floppy drives
256k of RAM
a 10 MB hard drive that cost me $1,000!
an "amber" screen, which was better than green!

My word processor of choice at the time: PC Write (free)

When I discovered WordPerfect, I was in heaven.

I loved DOS. I could do that "dir" and "cls" thing repeatedly for no reason whatsoever other than to see the file names scroll down.

Old 04-13-2013   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Llama

CamelKarma: 951145
Default Re: Your first computer - what were the specs?

Mine was a Schneider-Amstrad PC1640.
8MHz 8086 CPU; MS-DOS 3.2 or DR-DOS with GEM; three ISA slots; 512K RAM (640K max); 5.25-inch floppy disk drive; 20MB hard disk drive. EGA monitor.
Later I bought a 3,5 inch external floppy drive!

GEM Desktop was a Windows like graphical User Interface.
Power Supply for the PC was built into the monitor, which meant the monitor couldn't be replaced very easy. I know that, because my monitor displayed white as purple most of the time, but I never found a replacement, and it couldn't be repaired.

I still have the original GEM floppy's.

By the way, I learned programming applications in Turbo Pascal on a XT (not mine) without a harddisk. The application was one one floppy, the database it used on the other. And it had only one disk drive!
Old 04-13-2013   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 937083

Trash 80 III

BTW...My real name is Dori!

http://photocamel.com/forum/pets/
Mira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525
Editing OK?: Yes

Technically my first computer was a TI99/4a with a cassette tape interface for storing data. My parents got it for free with some carpeting or something. I never really used it though.
The first computer I actually used was a Commodore 64 with a single 1541 external floppy drive. I think we ran it through the TV for a while before getting a monochrome monitor. That was probably in 1984.
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013   #5
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1685642
Editing OK?: Ask first

First computerized gadgets I remember being exposed to were my TI SR-50 calculator in high school (1974, iirc); a Compugraphic phototypesetting machine that had no true screen, just a tiny horizontal scrolling ''banner' of illuminated dots that displayed the code one would type in 1978; and an AVL 'ShowPro' slide-show programmer (1979) that we replaced with an AVL 'Eagle' programmer in 1980 when I was working at an ad agency in Louisville. We once produced a 40-projector show with that thing! The 'Eagle' was the closest thing to an actual computer of the lot: dual 5.25" floppy drives, 256KMB memory, etc. Our unit was the portable version -- looked like a road-case, keyboard in lid attached with a pigtail. I flew to Vegas with a co-worker to stage a show that we produced with that machine (plus AVL 'Dove' dissolve units, a TEAC reel-to-reel, etc., etc, etc. Tons of staging gear!) Cab from airport to hotel, set everything up, tested the show, crashed for about 4 hours in our room, ran the show for the convention, tore it all down, crashed for another couple of hours, cab to airport, back to Louisville, home to crash again. Phone rings while I'm in the deepest sleep: "Are you guys okay?" "Yeah, why?" "The hotel burned!" We had stayed at the MGM Grand! Good times!
P&POTP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013   #6
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 901196

Hi nice thread Ken!

My first computer was a Hyundai brand
2x 5.25 floppys
no hard drive
8086 cpu
512 kb ram
b&w monitor ibm keyboard

then later i got a real ibm xt
with 20 mb of harddrive and ega graphics
those where the days 640kb ram

i am also a dos nerd
cheers
Dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 11

Great thread! My first "computer" wasn't really my computer. It was a green screen terminal in the university where I was studying. This was back in, oh, 1985, and I was still using typewriters for most all writing-related tasks. However, one day I was wandering around the university (certainly more interesting than studying!) and I walked into what must have been the computer building. I came upon this large room with a bunch of "green screen" terminals on long rows of tables. The room was dark except for the glow from the terminals.

My girlfriend of the time got an "account" for that room, and she soon talked me into ditching my fear of the unknown and getting an account, too. On those terminals we could use something called "waterloo script," which was a kind of word processing system. You think the original DOS-based word processors were primitive? With this waterloo script program, you had to enter a "line command" for just about everything special that you wanted to do with text. Want a word italicized (big deal back then)? You typed a dot command, hit enter, wrote the word, and then used another dot command to turn the italics back off. What a mess it looked like on the screen.

But oh when the printouts came (in another room, of course), they were glorious. The idea that I could save my work hooked me on computers forever.

And now I'm, well, halfpress for life!
HalfPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013   #8
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 457
Editing OK?: Ask first

My first computer was a Commodore 64, way back in about 1985.
leenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013   #9
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 501383

Like Zemlin I had a TI 99/4A, but didn't really start computing until I got a Tandy HC-1000 with 640k memory, a clock rate of maybe 4mHz. and a single 720K diskette drive for the OS, programs, and data. DOS2.2 and WordPerfect 4.1 were good enough for word processing.
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013   #10
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 371548

Apple IIC. 5.25" floppy and no HDD. Fairly useless toy. Would probably have gone with an early Mac, but then as now they were priced too dearly.

Canon 60D -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro -- EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS USM -- EF-S 10-22 f3.5-f4.5 USM.
Preeb is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: