Photoshop vs. Lightroom - The Great Debate - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013   #11
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1044
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Photoshop vs. Lightroom - The Great Debate

I really dislike the user interface with LR, I use PSCS6 for editing and Photo Mechanic for management. I used to use bridge but found Photo Mechanic to run faster when dealing with thousands of images at a time.
m332720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013   #12
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 102701
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintS View Post
They do some of the same things, but mostly different things from each other.
Priceless review comparison!
Great Pixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013   #13
Llama

CamelKarma: 12115

Some years back I used Aperture because I wanted to have easier access to my images. Aperture, at the time, was weak in image manipulation so I connected PS CS to it as an external editor.

But Aperture was not the end all/be all of image management and I switched to LR. The ability to meta tag images is easier, finding images based on the meta tags is easier (for me) and LR has, at least for me, better image manipulation.

Sure I have LR connected to PS CS where PS CS is needed for heavier lifting. I also have various plug-ins (which I also had in Aperture).

If it were me, I would use LR and PS Elements, at least starting out. Or LR and Gimp if one did not want to be fully in the Adobe camp (not a Gimp fan BTW).

To compare LR and PS is to compare two different products which have very little overlap. PS CS can use the Adobe Bridge software but that is not image management. LR can do some image manipulation but when you need heavy lifting, it will be PS that has the muscle required. But PS will not help you find an image shot in 2005 at the Arboretum in Austin, TX. LR does that because I've meta tagged the images.

Just sayin...

TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013   #14
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 41250
Editing OK?: Yes

I use both. LR gets better all the time but there are some things you really need Elements or Photoshop for. I think Bridge and LR are identical or close to it, but I don't use Bridge so I may be wrong. It almost looks to me like Adobe is working toward incorporating everything Elements does into LR and then they will do away with Elements. Of course I'm probably wrong - again - so don't jump on me.
Sing141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #15
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Perhaps another way of answering this question would be to give examples of how we use the two apps.

I shoot everything in RAW with my Canon 60D. My workflow is as follows:
Download all pictures to my Drobo and load them into LR. LR has limited ability to make corrections (compared to PS). But I find that most of what I do is correct exposure, saturation, contrast issues, a few blemishes and a crop here and there. I then use LR for what it is great at. I flag my favorites, assign keywords, and color code them. This effort allows me to quickly find all of my: Favorite (flagged) - Portraits (keyword) - Blue (sent offsite for printing).

If I need serious work, something that requires layering effects or selecting the subject and applying specific blurring, liquefying, etc. I round-robin the image to PS. "Round robin is a technique of exporting the image to PS, making your edits and saving it back to LR (only it will be converted to a TIFF)".

I think another fundamental difference worth noting is, an image edited in LR will never affect the actual image. LR works by creating an XML file that contains a list of commands of each of your edits. The XML file is read for that image each time you select it to be viewed.

Hope this helps...
daikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013   #16
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 102701

There is no doubt that using both programs it better than using only one but it also depends on what skill you possess as a photographer technically (getting the image correct in camera) and the skill you possess both with PS and LR. Truthfully, I use LR for 90% of my workflow. I have spent alot of time to learn to use LR to achieve consistent output and in half the time as it would take in PS. Most dont really understand how to use LR and thus dont see its potential to a photographers workflow.
Great Pixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #17
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

The discussion about which is "better" really should center on what you're doing and how you're using the tools. If you shoot professionally, or just shot a lot of images as an enthusiast, you may find LR works better for you since you can handle a lot of images very quickly, where Photoshop tends to shine when working on single images and spending a fair amount of time on each one.

LR not only has image asset management capabilities you don't have in Photoshop, but also has editing automation capabilities to vastly speed your processing up, especially when working with tons of images (e.g. a 3000-5000 image shoot).

I set up LR as my a primary post-processing environment, with export to Photoshop and/or Photomatix, depending on what is doing.
jhthurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013   #18
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 38

I have both programs and use them separately. I really like Lightroom for what it does [a great prime editor and collection program] and Photoshop for its ability to manipulate layers. If you only have Photoshop, you can use some of the functionality of Lightroom with Photoshop's Adobe Camera Raw function. While that program does not store in photos in a database, it does have the same editing capabilities as Lightroom [same engine] for the most part. Thus, it depends on what you plan to do with either as to whether or not it would benefit you to have both programs. If you shoot mainly JPEGs and wish to work with layers, then Photoshop or Photoshop Elements is likely to be your choice. If you shoot both or only RAW photos then the choice becomes more difficult based upon need and pocketbook. Of course, this may all be a moot point considering that Adobe is pushing everyone to the Creative Cloud that will eventually include Lightroom if id does not already.
Old 07-09-2013   #19
Llama

CamelKarma: 58067

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoGene47 View Post
I have both programs and use them separately. I really like Lightroom for what it does [a great prime editor and collection program] and Photoshop for its ability to manipulate layers. If you only have Photoshop, you can use some of the functionality of Lightroom with Photoshop's Adobe Camera Raw function. While that program does not store in photos in a database, it does have the same editing capabilities as Lightroom [same engine] for the most part. Thus, it depends on what you plan to do with either as to whether or not it would benefit you to have both programs. If you shoot mainly JPEGs and wish to work with layers, then Photoshop or Photoshop Elements is likely to be your choice. If you shoot both or only RAW photos then the choice becomes more difficult based upon need and pocketbook. Of course, this may all be a moot point considering that Adobe is pushing everyone to the Creative Cloud that will eventually include Lightroom if id does not already.
I have no intention of going to the cloud. for adobe to force us to take that route is little more than giving them control over, not only the programs, but of what we do with them as well. I'll stick with a full blown set of programs I can put on the pc and store the disks as I choose. once I can get cs6, there will be no going back, and I will not go forward towards something if the disks are not available.
chessmaster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #20
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 399405

APPLES & ORANGES

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: