Norton is ruining my life - Page 8
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013   #71
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Norton is ruining my life

We'll even Norton can screw up and make a product that will work for someone once in a while.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013   #72
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 38
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmack View Post
Strange. I have been using norton on 4 computers on my house for the past several years and I have never had a of that.

I get a once- a week status report and that is about it.
Agreed.
Old 10-12-2013   #73
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1161

Perhaps this is a bit off topic, but I've recently been hit with viruses that took down my AVG and blocked me from even opening the Windows Firewall settings area, made my browsing and email run like a car with a dirty fuel line - all sorts of pauses where what you start to type doesn't show up on the screen until two sentences later.

A week and a half ago, my machine refused to reboot in normal mode, and trying to restore from safe mode brought a message that there were no restore points on the machine. Malwarebytes would not run, either.

In the old days, I would have reinstalled the OS and been done with it, however, this is a work machine, and, while I have backups on most stuff, I have always found that I find something that was overlooked, and lost forever with a reinstall.

I brought in my tech guy, and he spent six hours combining through the machine to clean out the junk and get it to restart, however, it still was not 100%, so he must have missed something.

Last weekend, it refused to boot again, and my tech was not available on the weekend.

In desperation, I turned to one of the online remote PC services. I was very skeptical, but very much in need of help. I paid my money, and they took control of my machine, and six hours later, it was good as new.

It was also interesting to watch the tools that they used (I know, if I could have gotten online, I could have used them for free, myself).

I've tinkered with PC's since there were PC's, but admit that I have grown into a period in my life when I am more into getting work accomplished than sitting and messing with my computer.

What I got for my money was a restored PC that did not require an OS reinstall, no loss of data or settings, and a one year subscription where they will come in and scan the machine and also help me out if my problem only involves a 'how to' with some piece of software (I doubt I'll have much use for that, however).

I, too, used to swear by Norton, and swore off it when it became too intrusive. On the advice of the remote service, I also gave up AVG and am now using MSE, and have set up a new user account for admin purposes, and set my normal user account to Standard.

Some of you may feel I wasted my money, but I am quite pleased with their work.

Curious if anyone else has had experience with such services.

BTW, I generally do all my pleasure/casual surfing from Ubuntu Linux, but, at work, I need to go online and get information, then use it to get back to work. No time for all the rebooting that using ubuntu in that situation would require. Now, if MS had only enabled the use of other OS's in the Win7 virtual machine, I could have my cake and eat it, too.

Caruso

Last edited by Carusoswi; 10-12-2013 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: grammar
Carusoswi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013   #74
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 199747
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphonslair99 View Post
I love both Norton and Windows 7. They are marvelous reminders of why I went MAC.
Ditto.

Best advice? Get a MAC
barry6386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #75
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 87267

I always use AVG. Norton seems to want to take over your computer and do what it wants.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: