Norton is ruining my life - Page 4
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013   #31
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 65
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Norton is ruining my life

PC Mag has alays given Norton high ratings. I cannot argue with the results of their tests, but they are just tests. In a lab situation. You have to live with a product for a while to realise what its true nature is. And I can testify that with very few exceptions, it is not a good choice.
James Loudon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013   #32
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 371548
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternGuy View Post
I would be really curious as to where all this problem is coming from with the Norton Security. I have had Norton/Symantec anti-virus and Internet Security on my computers for over 20 years, with the exception of two years where I had McAfee installed. The only time I ever had an infection was when the McAfee was installed and it went off my machines very quickly after the infection. I have never noticed any conflicts or commercial advertising problems with it and I currently have it on three machines. Maybe I am just lucky, but I it would be interesting to know what types of computer systems and operating systems that folks are running where they seem to have these problems. I, for one, am quite happy with it and will continue to use it and no I do not work for them, have never worked for them and have no ownership in the company. I am just curious as why folks are bashing, what to me seems like perfectly good software. It always seems to come out in the top few of the"best" in any reviews I have seen. So, I guess, the question is - what is the real problem?

WesternGuy
I had Norton on my old, old desktop back in Win 95 days. The antivirus seemed to work okay, but the rest of the suite was worse than useless. A couple of the tools would cause an immediate freeze, and one of them gave the blue screen of death. I got rid of it and never even considered it again. I only give something like that one chance. I have never figured out how they get such high ratings year after year. Maybe in a corporate setting with an in house IT guy to keep it running smoothly - I don't know. All I know is that I wouldn't have Norton on any system I own.

Canon 60D -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro -- EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS USM -- EF-S 10-22 f3.5-f4.5 USM.
Preeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013   #33
Marvin (aka Heinz)

CamelKarma: 348868
Editing OK?: Ask First

One word: AVAST.. I have it.. runs in background, quiet, fast, and does not take up much space.

Canon 7d, 100L macro, 50 1.8, CANON 15-85/3.5-5.6 IS EF-S USM, CANON 70-200/4 L USM, Sigma 150-500 DG OS HSM

http://500px.com/Hkphotography

http://www.facebook.com/heinz.tervoert
meinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013   #34
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6817414
Editing OK?: No
Question Re: Norton is ruining my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by olcoach10 View Post
Hi, I purchased a Norton system to "protect" my computer. It is one of the worst mistakes I have ever made so I'm hoping someone here can help me. First, I'm willing to take my lumps and buy a new system but I don't want the same problem I Have. They are constantly advertising to buy more of their products. I use yahoo as my home page but everytime I log in I get a screen with a search box and an ad for some Norton product. I feel like my computer is possessed by Norton. I should add that I'm an old guy and NOT tech savvy. Any help greatly appreciated. Mike
I have been following this thread since it first went up and I have one question for the original OP - which Norton system did you buy? It is important to know this because there are a number of different ones and they change (upgrade?) each year. I do think it is important for folks to know which one is being talked about as I have seen Norton Antivirus, Norton Internet Security and Norton 360 all mentioned here. If you are going to "knock" a piece of software, at least let us know which one it is that you are commenting one, as it appears there is quite a variation in experience with the Norton group of programs. Also, it would be nice to know which Operating System and upgrades you are using and whether it is 32 or 64 bit, as this might make a difference. Thanks.

WesternGuy

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013   #35
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 12227

Regardless of which AntiVirus you use - being mindful of how most infection occurs goes a long way towards keeping malicious software off your computer.

Both Windows and Mac OSX users are highly vulnerable to browser (and browser plugin) based attacks.

Just this week there are major vulnerabilities in

Adobe Flash player
Adobe warns of critical Flash vulnerability | bit-tech.net

Java Vulnerabilities
Security update for critical Java vulnerabilities | Stay Smart Online

and 5 "critical vulnerabilities" in Internet Explorer (to be patched on Feb 12)
Patch Tuesday: IE at risk of malware attacks; 57 flaws in total | ZDNet

Chances are - that if you visit a webpage with an exploit for any one of those, it will install something nasty on your computer - and I'd wager that nearly every (if not all) AV product mentioned in this thread will not prevent it
(or there was some window when they would not prevent it but attackers were using these exploits)

AV has come a long way from being purely "signature based" - but AV companies are still struggling to stay one step ahead of the latest security threats (hence the regular updates you constantly receive which essentially add new signatures for recently discovered exploits)

To minimize risk --

Always use the latest most up to date version of your browser software
be it Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer, Opera etc... always update

Always update the latest version of your browser plugins/extensions like Java/Flash/Adobe Reader

Always run the latest version of your operating system (get all security patches)
If you are running an old version Windows XP (without security updates) and Internet Explorer 6/7, you are asking for trouble

Always run the latest patched MS Office / Adobe Reader and other document readers

Disable Java in your browser if you don't use it (you'll notice if you disable it and can't run stuff - otherwise you are cutting out a major current threat vector)
Java zero-day exploit: Don't patch, just disable Java in your browser.

Get a browser extension that forces you to "Click to Play" for Flash and other plugins
Set Chrome to Run Flash and Other Plug-Ins On-Demand Only

NoScript is another useful plugin that blocks most content until you allow it
NoScript - JavaScript/Java/Flash blocker for a safer Firefox experience! - what is it? - InformAction

These white list type of apps add a bit of extra work but minimize the risk of rogue content running invisibly in the background

It used to be that only certain types of shady websites had malicious code running on them. But now many legit sites are hosting hidden exploits because attackers are able to inject malicious code into them (Wordpress and other CMS platforms are a popular target due to widespread security holes in plugins and 3rd party add-ons).

and think before you click - when someone sends something like
"Look what he just said about you" with some weird link - for God's sake don't click it !
but sadly the fake messages are starting to look a lot more authentic...

Reducing your vulnerability to exploits is a first (and often the best) line of defense.
jell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013   #36
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 92484
Editing OK?: Ask first

Peter Norton was one of the ORIGINAL PC code gurus, way back before Windows was even a gleam in Bill Gate's eyes. He wrote and marketed the first real "Unerase" utility for DOS around 1982, very soon after the IBM PC came out and standardized the PC world on MS-DOS. His products were always very well received. As time went on and Windows arrived, more or less because MS would not sell a PC maker DOS unless they bundled in Windows as well, he got tired of the biz, sold out to Symantec, and retired to collect art, or so they say.

I don't use Norton/Symantec or any of it's flavors, but as an old, old, timer, I find it sad that Peter's good name has been trod into the mud by Symantec and its ilk.
All Canon: 6D! 50D, [17-40L],[24-105L],[28-135mm (FOR SALE!)],[28mm f/2.8],[35mm f/2.0],[50mm f/1.8 II],[70-200 f/4L[85mm f/1.8],[100 mm f/2.8 macro],[100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L],[35mm SuperTak], [55mm SuperTak],[135mm SuperTak],[200mm SuperTak],Cokin,Hoya & B+W up front when applicable.
JimInJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013   #37
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 937083

I use Avast and Malwarebytes(paid version)

BTW...My real name is Dori!

http://photocamel.com/forum/pets/
Mira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013   #38
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 43713362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira View Post
I use Avast and Malwarebytes(paid version)
Snap! That's what I have, Dori, they have kept me safe for over 2 years now.
It's amazing how many seemingly innocuous web sites that Avast detects trying to exploit.

Martin
Martin

Once photography enters your bloodstream, it is like a disease.

Software: Too numerous to list but my most used utility is ShiftN for perspective correction

Gear: Canon G12, no tripod, no lenses, no flash, no remote, no cases or bags!

Stiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013   #39
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 273

I dumped Norton this month ( Feb 2013 ) and I have no regrets. Free protection is now making life beautiful. Mister Bill
Mister Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013   #40
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 937083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiga View Post
Snap! That's what I have, Dori, they have kept me safe for over 2 years now.
It's amazing how many seemingly innocuous web sites that Avast detects trying to exploit.

Martin
Yes, it certainly is!

A good browser add on is Web Of Trust, WOT. A guide only but it is useful.

BTW...My real name is Dori!

http://photocamel.com/forum/pets/
Mira is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: