Norton is ruining my life - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013   #21
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Norton is ruining my life

Eight years ago the Microsoft system was giving me the p**ps so I sold it all and went Apple Mac. Never,ever, looked back.
My family all said "You"ll regret it", but suprise. suprise they"ve all gone to Apple.
No viruses.worms. tadpoles...some spam tho"with the mail. No Norton required.
daveinozbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #22
Vicuna

Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmack View Post
Strange. I have been using norton on 4 computers on my house for the past several years and I have never had a of that.

I get a once- a week status report and that is about it.

I have to agree. I've used Norton products since 1995. I've had one virus in that time and it's because I hadn't updated soon enough. I've been using Norton 360 for about three years. Might have a very slight slowdown because the software is checking for malware, viruses, etc. I have no problems such as the OP mentioned in terms of buy this, buy that. No popups at all. Not sure why so many are anti-Norton, but for me, it's well worth it. Best time to buy is on Black Friday. But, Norton AntiVirus, Norton Internet Security and Norton 360 can usually be found on sale. I either buy from Amazon or OfficeMax. Anyway, I've had good luck and that's why I'm sticking with a product that is constantly on the alert. Since there are people working 24/7 to spread internet mayhem, I prefer having a company that works hard to protect my computers. Using it on two computers now. I update every time I leave the internet and scan at least once a day.
Vandyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #23
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 21
Editing OK?: Yes

Avast has been my choice for years and has never been anything but solid. It updates its definitions at least once a day and sometimes more often. My best defense against problems has probably simply been my brain. I am careful of sites I visit, careful about opening links that I am unfamiliar with and very careful about downloading anything. Malwarebytes serves as a good second line of defense. It has never found anything on my machines, but I have used it successfully on the machines of friends who call me for help.

Microsoft Essentials has not fared as well recently on several tests I've seen, but it still seems to be well liked by many.
alpineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #24
Llama

CamelKarma: 3092286

I switched to AVG from BT netprotectplus, which was costing over £40 annually, provided by McAffee, which was a memory hog, and someone managed to obtain my card details and my bank intercepted three suspicious transactions - after all, if I had less than £50 in cleared funds at the time, would I try and buy £500 worth of goods online.
Photography is a blend of art and science which involves four stages. 1.Seeing - an eye for a picture, 2 Taking - aspects of camera craft 3. Making - post processing 4. Presenting - the finished article
I have studied photography seriously for over 40 years and digital imaging for 23 years and continue to do both. If ever I thought I had “arrived” or reached any sort of “standard” I would pack [it] in because what I would have reached was a plateau and would then probably be incapable of learning new things……I hope this never happens.
Leo Palmer

kennethwfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #25
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 41250
Editing OK?: Yes

Funny or not - if you get an email from Photocamel about "Reply to thread "Norton is ruining my life." and open it without logging in to Photocamel you will see a Norton ad included in some of these replies - and Adorama and SanDisk and some others. If you log in the ads within the replies are no longer there but there are ads at the ends of some pages. All legitimate advertising to support Photocamel. Adware is part of life on a computer. Start searching for some product you are interested in using Google or another search engine and you will soon see all kinds of ads for that product or similar products popping up on your screen.
Sing141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #26
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 65

"I prefer having a company that works hard to protect my computers"
Well if Norton worked as hard on that as they did with their carpet bombing marketing of their second rate product they may have something decent again. I am not saying that it does not work - it does okay stacked against others in tests though its far from the best. No, it has other problems. It is a massive memory and CPU hog, and it is obtrusive on your system - it just has a very large footprint.
Imagine this - you buy a new car and it has Brand X tyres on it. When you need new tyres what are you going to go with? Most people go with brand X again, because they know no better, and because, well, if Volvo put them on in the first place they must be good eh? Bad logic. Some companies like Pirelli give car companies their tyres at cost price so that they get the repeat business at full cost from punters in the future.
Same with Norton. It comes installed as a trial version on many computers, and people think that if its on there and Dell or whoever recommend it...etc. Or you go in to buy a new PC and an earnest salesman says "Do you have any protection? Because we really recommend this, plus its half price at the moment"
Of course it is. Its always half price. I do not expect everyone to be a computer expert or geek like me - I am just saying that you have options, do some research. You read reviews on lenses and tripods before you buy don't you?
I will not in principle buy from a company that uses subversive tactics and exploits peoples ignorance and fear.
My recommendations?
Eset or Avast!
James Loudon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #27
Llama

CamelKarma: 12115

Wouldn't go so far as to say we OS X users don't need protection. Recent history has shown OS X can be vulnerable to bad things too.

My system runs ClamXav and it watches my download and email folders. No problems yet.

Of course when I ran Windows at home I never got a virus, trojan or malware. Had a couple of issues at work but that was caused by co-workers who brought the nasties in with them.

When I ran Windows I used AVG until their policies got to me and then I switched to Avast! I still recommend Avast! to friends who run Windows.

Norton was good in the beginning but then bloatware took hold and they tried to become many things to many people. Have a free copy of Norton A/V sitting here for OS X and I cannot bring myself to install it or give it away.

Take care,

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinozbikes View Post
Eight years ago the Microsoft system was giving me the p**ps so I sold it all and went Apple Mac. Never,ever, looked back.
My family all said "You"ll regret it", but suprise. suprise they"ve all gone to Apple.
No viruses.worms. tadpoles...some spam tho"with the mail. No Norton required.

TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #28
Alpaca

Basically it was the same for me, I get tired of the add on's and being hounded into buying something constantly. It has been a few years since I used it so I can't say it didn't work or that I had to buy extras it was mainly because it hounded me to buy, buy, buy.
Plus my neighbor had it on her computer and asked me to remove a virus, which the Norton on her computer didn't catch or fix.
justmeelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #29
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sing141 View Post
Funny or not - if you get an email from Photocamel about "Reply to thread "Norton is ruining my life." and open it without logging in to Photocamel you will see a Norton ad included in some of these replies - and Adorama and SanDisk and some others. If you log in the ads within the replies are no longer there but there are ads at the ends of some pages. All legitimate advertising to support Photocamel. Adware is part of life on a computer. Start searching for some product you are interested in using Google or another search engine and you will soon see all kinds of ads for that product or similar products popping up on your screen.
Despite deleting my cookies every day, I am still tracked like a coyote in the suburbs. I can deal with that since the internet provides a lot of convenience, but today I found a new way of advertising that really ticked me off. I was on a website looking at a series of celebrity photos (yeah, how dumb is that?) and half way through, my screen went to nearly black with a Betty White (not kidding) commercial and the [X] Close told me I could close the ad in 60 seconds. It froze up the website and I said enough about papparazzi, celebs, and definitely, enough of old Betty. So, guess a new trend is to force feed you commercials if you want to read content.
Old 02-10-2013   #30
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by olcoach10 View Post
Hi, I purchased a Norton system to "protect" my computer. It is one of the worst mistakes I have ever made so I'm hoping someone here can help me. First, I'm willing to take my lumps and buy a new system but I don't want the same problem I Have. They are constantly advertising to buy more of their products. I use yahoo as my home page but everytime I log in I get a screen with a search box and an ad for some Norton product. I feel like my computer is possessed by Norton. I should add that I'm an old guy and NOT tech savvy. Any help greatly appreciated. Mike
Not sure if I read which Norton system you purchased. Here is PC Magazine's rating of the major players in the antivirus software business. They reviewed Norton AntiVirus, not Norton Internet Security or 360. Take a look at the reviews of the programs and judge for yourself which may be the best for your needs. Beware, the website is full of popups to get through before you read the comparison.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp

Norton AntiVirus (2013) Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Some folks may say the company that spends the most ad dollars gets the highest rating, but I prefer not to believe that. You could make the argument for most advertising.

Last edited by Vandyu; 02-10-2013 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: add link

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: