Norton is ruining my life - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013   #11
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 7324142
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Norton is ruining my life

another sad story about norton.
MSE is the best way to go the free route. Paid route I recommend Eset Smart Security
it's what I use rock solid
_Provo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013   #12
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes

I have tried them all, including Avast and AVG. My vote is for security essentials.
Old 02-07-2013   #13
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 170

Once again the best advice and help is on this forum. Thank you all very much. Now I'm uninstalling Norton. Thanks again. Mike
olcoach10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #14
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 12503
Editing OK?: No

I hate Norton! So much grief, so much junk, so many conflicts and errors. I use the free version of AVG. Love it. I also use Malwarebytes and Spyware Blaster. Update every DAY - automatically. Zero problems in 2 years. All free!

Good luck in dumping ALL of Norton. It might take an hour - or even longer.
sbingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #15
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 65
Editing OK?: Ask first

It is really incredible how this has happened. Norton used to be excellent but I stopped using it back in 2000 or so, right about when Peter Norton left. Since then, year on year, its effectiveness has decreased, and its intrusiveness has increased to the point where it has almost become a virus itself - it certainly is an infestation. You will find no love for it anywhere in the computer community. It is universally despised on all tech forums, and with good reason. It is kept afloat by aggessive marketing by large retail companies like PC World who appear to offer big discounts for the product and it is bought by noobs and ordinary punters buying a new PC who are living in fear of teh intarweb.
A pox on Norton and all who sail in it.. I use Eset NOD32 for my work machine, plus Malwarebytes, and MSIE for all our other machines.
James Loudon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #16
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 15201

I like Avast and have been using it for years. Microsoft security essentials seems to slow my computer down more for whatever reason. I download it every now and then just to scan my computer in case Avast could be missing something.
Happy-Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #17
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

when i used norton it clashed with the pre-installed program. When norton was big dog the system
was ok i did not learn all the tweeks i just lived with it .

I run avg now.
nd-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #18
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

You also have to watch when you are downloading something because at the end of the DL page sometimes a trial for Norton is checked (or more browsers), uncheck all that crap.

A very savvy tech turned me on to MSE and I have been totally happy with it.
justmeelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #19
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6817414

I would be really curious as to where all this problem is coming from with the Norton Security. I have had Norton/Symantec anti-virus and Internet Security on my computers for over 20 years, with the exception of two years where I had McAfee installed. The only time I ever had an infection was when the McAfee was installed and it went off my machines very quickly after the infection. I have never noticed any conflicts or commercial advertising problems with it and I currently have it on three machines. Maybe I am just lucky, but I it would be interesting to know what types of computer systems and operating systems that folks are running where they seem to have these problems. I, for one, am quite happy with it and will continue to use it and no I do not work for them, have never worked for them and have no ownership in the company. I am just curious as why folks are bashing, what to me seems like perfectly good software. It always seems to come out in the top few of the"best" in any reviews I have seen. So, I guess, the question is - what is the real problem?

WesternGuy

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #20
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 41250
Editing OK?: Yes

I've had nothing but trouble with Norton. I can't say it didn't work as to its protecting the computer, but I got tired of all the "add this, you need this" junk that came along with it. When you remove it be sure to use the Norton Removal Tool someone gave the link to in an earlier reply. Otherwise you don't really get rid of it and you will be constantly hounded by Norton this and Norton that and warnings. So far as I am concerned Norton is a VIRUS! I'm not sure why it is that way but that's been my experience. I use BitDefender Internet security. It is highly rated, protects your computer and you don't know it's there unless it senses some problem.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: