Slide Show Software
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1754
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Slide Show Software

Can anyone please recommend software (for the serious hobbyist) to create slide shows from photos. Hopefully I could also edit video as well and save the project to DVD?

Thanks!!

Old 01-08-2013   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 169270948
Default Re: Slide Show Software

I have been using ProShow Gold from a company called Photodex for about 5 years now. It's a fantastic, reliable s/w with evry feature you can imaging. S/W is robust, reliable, and easy to use. Technical support is superb for any far out questions one might have. Slide show output can be to DVD, Blu Ray, AVI, mpeg (many version), iphone, ipad,.... and my favorite which is a .exe PC executable. You can check out a free trial version at Photodex.com.
Cheers, Murray
mistermonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #3
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 619439

I also use ProShow Gold from Photodex and love it! I did not have any experience using slide show software and found it (relatively) easy to learn. Photodex has a forum for users to post questions, comments, etc. and to see examples of other people's work which I found helpful and interesting. If ProShow Gold doesn't provide you with all the bells & whistles you want, you can upgrade to ProShow Producer which is the professional version.
lticknor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #4
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 619439

Sorry, I game you wrong information: the forum for ProShow Gold (and ProShow Producer) is found at:
ProShow Enthusiasts
It's can't be found by going to Photodex, although Photodex is where you buy the software.
lticknor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 399405
Editing OK?: Ask first

For the SERIOUS enthusiast I would agree that Photodex software is the way to go - but imho I say if you could afford it go directly to Proshow Producer and bypass ProShow Gold, yes the learning curve is much steeper but the rewards are much greater - The main differences I believe is the ability to fully control Keyframing, Masking & Modifiers. Both are great products but most users will upgrade from Gold to Producer if they are SERIOUS users. The forum mentioned ProShow Enthusiasts has a wealth of information & knowledge, I've been a member there for years as well as a serious user of Producer!! Here's some of my work with Producer, nothing fancy ..... FAMILY SLIDE SHOWS - Photodex Also as mentined Photodex does offer trial versions of both but like anything the more you put in the more you get out Good Luck!
KikiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #6
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1754

Thanks! Does ProShow Gold also allow you to edit video or put video in a slide show? If not, do you have a recommendation for a program that will or will do both?
photos4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #7
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 169270948

Quote:
Originally Posted by photos4fun View Post
Thanks! Does ProShow Gold also allow you to edit video or put video in a slide show? If not, do you have a recommendation for a program that will or will do both?
ProShow allows you to create a show with stills and video clips. You begin with a time line and you just drop and drag your single images and video in any sequence you want. The program can do very elementary video editing - primarily trimming the video so you can make it a specific length of time.
Cheers, Murray
mistermonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 399405

Quote:
Originally Posted by photos4fun View Post
ProShow Gold is slideshow software and is designed for images. It can't compete with the likes of a dedicated video editor. With that being said ProShow Gold can do some basic video editing - color adjust, brightness and the ability to trim start & end of a clip - basic stuff. If that's all you need it to do then it will suffice. I must also say if you are looking to add a lot of video & long clips Gold might be temperamental as I said it's designed for images.

Basically I use a dedicated video editor, Premier Pro/Sony Vegas then import the final edit into Producer. This seems to be the best method. Even though Gold/Producer can edit video it does it non destructively so it will have to render the entire file if you get my drift. This is where the problems could lie.

You ask for a recommendation that does both ... IMHO the short answer is NO, Producer is the Best SlideShow software out there and there are numerous video editors out there that are better than Producer/Gold. Hope that helps!!

If your going to make a show with 300-400 images and include 10-12 videos of 10 seconds each then Gold will have no issues at all - if only the edited clips are used.
KikiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #9
Llama

CamelKarma: 199337

Proshow Gold is where I ended up after trying some others including Wondershare. I have had better results with ProShow Gold. I do slideshows for people that want to play them on a TV rather than a computer. So far nothng but happy customers.
Mr Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013   #10
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 157256

I just finished my first slideshow with MAGIX Photo Story on DVD
link: MAGIX PhotoStory on DVD - Slideshow
The software is quite easy to understand and intuitive to use. It also allows basic video and music editing. Additional to the photos there are three tracks for music, animation or video.
There are also many ways to export the show, i.e. mp2, mp4, burn on DVD or blue ray disc, ...
So I'm very happy with it.
Greetings
Andreas

andreas1962 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: