Slide Show Software - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013   #11
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1754
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Slide Show Software

Thanks everyone!
photos4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #12
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 11755
Editing OK?: Ask First

I would recommend PicturesToExe - It's much more powerful than Proshow Producer and is much less expensive with lifetime free upgrades for the main program and a two free year upgrade policy for Video Builder, an integrated but optional package.

PicturesToExe is used by the majority of audio visual contest winners worldwide and has amazing power including true 3D Transforms - unlike the crippled Producer version. You can not only make incredible regular slideshows including your videos and still slides, but you can also do incredible animations. You have advanced features not found in Producer or Gold such as parent/child relationships, visual and easy manipulation of centers of rotation, unlimited audio tracks, true 3D transforms including X, Y and Z axis manipulation virtually unlimited numbers of videos. As an example, I recently created a 3D Video Wall with 640 active video displays and a zooming and rotating 3D cube which dynamically transforms from image sides to video sides. It's worth your time to look at both Proshow Produce and PicturesToExe before you decide. Depending on what you want to accomplish, either are great products, but PicturesToExe is vastly more powerful. Links Below to a few of my Youtube demos, my demo site and the Wnsoft site where you can learn about PicturesToEXe (PTE).

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net

http://www.wnsoft.com/picturestoexe

Lin (IceJasper)

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #13
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 399405
Editing OK?: Ask first

These are both excellent tools, but they differ a great deal both in capabilities and in orientation.

"Proshow Producer is more of a "one size fits all" product which has a number of features which PicturesToExe (PTE) doesn't have. For example, with Producer you can adjust color, make images sepia, have numerous automated text effects, use numerous "styles" which facilitate making shows for the busy photographer who really doesn't have time to do many individual processes and manually "fine tune" for optimal results. As you note, Producer uses the CPU so if there are other processes running on the system or if the system is resource challenged, things may not go smoothly. Producer also accepts more still image formats than PTE and has more output formats such as Flash, direct BluRay burn etc. If you have limited time as a busy photographer, Producer lets you make excellent shows in minimal time.

PTE is a different creature. It is far superior for animation power and for overall image quality in executable format and smoother executable output with graphics due to using the graphical processing unit (GPU) rather than the CPU. PTE also outputs to native MacIntosh executable format, something that Producer can't do. The other major differences are that PTE supports 3D transforms, parent child relationships, etc., so things like rotating cubes, and other geometrical 3d images can be easily created and animated. PTE, in the latest version in late beta and available now in a very stable beta for end users also does far superior video handling and supports many more video formats than Producer. Animating in PTE is far easier and quicker than with Producer. Simple things for PTE like visually moving the center of an object for rotation are quite difficult and awkward with Producer. PTE is the overwhelming choice for serious Audio Visual competitors, while Producer is the choice for more working event photographers such as wedding photographers."

As an event photographer I prefer Producer !
KikiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #14
Guanaco

That's a fair and accurate, IMHO, assessment of the differences. One I made some time ago. If you are a working professional photographer with deadlines, the Producer styles and automated features are very helpful and great time savers. It's easy to produce a very professional show quickly and efficiently with Producer (I use both) and find strengths and weaknesses in both. I think the phrase "horses for courses" fits well here.

Some of the undocumented features such as changing images to sepia were included in version 7.0 of PTE but then removed in the latest version 7.5.3

It's difficult to decide where features should be and whether, for ultimate results, to use multiple software packages designed for specific uses such as video editing, image editing, etc., or to include them in abbreviated form in the presentation slideshow software. Some recent software (Animoto comes to mind) try to automate almost everything, while at the extreme opposite end, PicturesToExe tries to give the user the ultimate control. The very nice thing is that we have choices. In answer to the OP's question, I don't believe that any presentation slideshow software really works well as a video editor. That's best left to specialized software as is true audio editing. Some of the more powerful video editors "can" be used effectively as presentation still slideshow tools, but they are awkward in my experience, even though powerful.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin
Old 01-14-2013   #15
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 399405
Editing OK?: Ask first

Lin Evans I thought I recognized your name from a few of your posts over in the Proshow Enthusiast Forum from a few months ago. As I was learning the program I was a regular there but rarely frequent these days as I'm trying to get more into the photography end these days. It pays better I do agree with your opinion as well. One thing for sure is these 2 companies will make each other better!!
KikiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #16
Guanaco

Hi Kiki,

I quite agree!

Yes indeed, that was me. I used to post on the Enthusiast forum but haven't been back for a few years. I happened to read some discussion of Producer/Gold versus PTE where there were a number of serious misconceptions so I posted a brief explanation and a couple examples to explain the differences.

Competition is very good for products like PTE and Producer. It helps both development teams refine their code and provide features which their user's need. It's been fun seeing the products mature over the years.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin
Old 01-14-2013   #17
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 7324142

I would recommend Proshow Producer as well that is what I use.
_Provo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013   #18
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Hello,
You can try DVD Photo Slideshow. It supports kinds of slideshow video formats, also it can make slideshow DVD.
Photo slideshow software for iPhone, iPad, Mac and Windows
socusoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013   #19
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 57
Editing OK?: No

If you have Lightroom, you're in luck!

chuckdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013   #20
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 43480375

Quote:
Originally Posted by KikiD View Post
These are both excellent tools, but they differ a great deal both in capabilities and in orientation.

"Proshow Producer is more of a "one size fits all" product which has a number of features which PicturesToExe (PTE) doesn't have. For example, with Producer you can adjust color, make images sepia, have numerous automated text effects, use numerous "styles" which facilitate making shows for the busy photographer who really doesn't have time to do many individual processes and manually "fine tune" for optimal results. As you note, Producer uses the CPU so if there are other processes running on the system or if the system is resource challenged, things may not go smoothly. Producer also accepts more still image formats than PTE and has more output formats such as Flash, direct BluRay burn etc. If you have limited time as a busy photographer, Producer lets you make excellent shows in minimal time.

PTE is a different creature. It is far superior for animation power and for overall image quality in executable format and smoother executable output with graphics due to using the graphical processing unit (GPU) rather than the CPU. PTE also outputs to native MacIntosh executable format, something that Producer can't do. The other major differences are that PTE supports 3D transforms, parent child relationships, etc., so things like rotating cubes, and other geometrical 3d images can be easily created and animated. PTE, in the latest version in late beta and available now in a very stable beta for end users also does far superior video handling and supports many more video formats than Producer. Animating in PTE is far easier and quicker than with Producer. Simple things for PTE like visually moving the center of an object for rotation are quite difficult and awkward with Producer. PTE is the overwhelming choice for serious Audio Visual competitors, while Producer is the choice for more working event photographers such as wedding photographers."

As an event photographer I prefer Producer !
I use Final Cut Pro & Motion. I bought them for video editing. They are already loaded & work for slides also, so that's what I've been using..............
But Proshow producer & PicturesToExe sound like they might be worth looking into, Final Cut Pro is time consuming @ least seems to be to me as it's main function is processing video clips. I'd like something with the set up speed of iPhoto, but with the options of something a little more professional.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: