Opinions wanted on your new Tablets!
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 119
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Opinions wanted on your new Tablets!

Now that the new gifts for us have been opened and charged up, what are your opinions on them?

What do you like about the screen and it's ability to display correct colors?

How does the zoom in feature work to enable you to see focus issues?

Can you tether it to your digital camera in the field? If so, how is the speed of processing during a shoot?

I know most won't have had time to use in the field yet, but I suspect those that have will have an opinion.

I have held off on purchasing because I want a tablet that will display at 8x10 without having to move the image around.

P.S. I hope everyone got what they wanted and Happy New Year! photographing.

Old 12-25-2012   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 119
Default Re: Opinions wanted on your new Tablets!

What!? Nobody got a tablet for a present This place must be littered with naughty kids...Darn.
Old 12-25-2012   #3
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 95123

Got one last Christmas and haven't put it down since!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/evensky/
capshook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139

It was not a Christmas gift, it was a business expense. Got an iPad2 specifically so we could run the Square app and accept credit cards. It works great for that. It's okay for checking email and horrible for replying to it. It's okay for browsing the web but not so much for interacting with the web. I can never find a comfortable way to hold the stupid thing so it's easy to read and type on at the same time. A keyboard would make the typing easier but then it would be like a laptop with a broken off screen. The best thing about the tablet for me is it allows me to accept payments and have them deposited into my bank account even when I'm states away from home. Oh, and I can plug it into the stereo in the van so I can listen to my own playlist instead of changing the radio as stations drift on our long trips. Did I mention Angry Birds?

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #5
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 4748198
Editing OK?: Ask First

I've had a Nexus 7 for a while. I love it, just got an OTG cable and an SD card reader for viewing pictures, basic editing, and sharing.
Old 12-26-2012   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 389289
Editing OK?: No

I've just bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (ok, so not strictly a Tablet, but halfway there) and haven't stopped playing Angry Birds for the last two weeks.

What was your question??
substar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #7
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

I also have a Nexus 7 and absolutely love it. I use it mostly in conjunction with video shoots (there is a $5 app called DSLR Controller that lets you control your camera for both stills & video!), but the OTG cable (available for a couple of dollars on eBay) adds much more functionality.
nosheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 43480375

I got an iPad for father's day, back when there was only 1 version. Still works good & the picture quality is great as long as the screen brightness is cranked way up.
I bought a tablet for my wife, but to be honest I haven't seen photos on it yet. My son bought it online & I haven't been able to pry it out of Cheryl's hands yet. She keeps it in her purse, so I guess that means she likes it.
pro70z28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #9
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 0

I buy and sell both Apple and Android. I upgraded my iPad to the 4th gen, with Retina display and the new A6 CPU, which is 2x faster then the previous "new" ipAd. Love both the screen and the speed. I also do short video editing with iMovie.

Had a play with a Nexus 7, too. Quite nice screen and speed, but it is obviously smaller. Android can have better connectivity than iOS, but check that you have the right s/w for your needs, before putting your money down.

Lastly, although Apple products are dearer, they are much easier to resell, when upgrading.

Just my 2cents' worth...
S/W: Photo Mechanic, Lightroom, DXO, Aperture, TopazLabs plus many less well know tools
Photo Site
pszilard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #10
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

^^

All very true!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: