PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum

PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum (https://photocamel.com/forum/)
-   Computers and Software (https://photocamel.com/forum/computers-software/)
-   -   "Demands" to upgrade Adobe Flash (https://photocamel.com/forum/computers-software/171709-demands-upgrade-adobe-flash.html)

Gasho 10-30-2012 03:24 PM

"Demands" to upgrade Adobe Flash

Clueless as to why so many sites bar entry with a demand to upgrade Adobe Flash when I already have. Please make your resonse(s) simple to match my abilities. :(

poloman 10-30-2012 06:29 PM

I only see this when Adobe Flash does need updating. The updating process is a bit misleading.
First download update
Then run the file to update flash
The way Adobe has it set up, it looks like you're done before you run the file...

Dubyacee 10-30-2012 06:37 PM

Re: "Demands" to upgrade Adobe Flash

Yeah, it seems that it wants to update weekly.

Gasho 10-30-2012 07:48 PM

Instructions are clear -thanks, Gasho

Vandyu 11-17-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubyacee (Post 1734244)
Yeah, it seems that it wants to update weekly.

I got the update request today from Adobe Flash. I agree that it comes rather frequently, but isn't this software one way that hackers and spammers can deliver malware and viruses? I update my computer antivirus suite several times a day and seems like there's always a new antivirus download waiting. So, I'd rather keep my system up to date.

The one thing I've noticed about Flash updates is that you have to read the window carefully or you will by default download Chrome as your new browser along with Google toolbar. This needs to be turned off by default, not turned on. :thumbdown:

rainbow9 11-24-2012 06:57 AM

Updates are a means to patch flaws in the software.It is necessary as an intruder might gain access to your system,if you are using outdated software which is not updated

joeinmiami 11-27-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandyu (Post 1747034)
The one thing I've noticed about Flash updates is that you have to read the window carefully or you will by default download Chrome as your new browser along with Google toolbar. This needs to be turned off by default, not turned on. :thumbdown:

You also have to watch for the "free" McAfee virus checker which is selected as a default. I have nothing against McAfee but I already have a virus checker and I do not need another one.

Joe

QRZ 12-29-2012 08:51 PM

Go to adobe to get your flash update. Some sites get hacked and when a user views the page gets a fake message to update your flash. The update downloads you a nice virus. !!!

Gasho 12-30-2012 12:33 AM

Thanks QRZ. Surfing is less pleasurable when it becomes a gauntlet run of people with their hands out, or ready to inject you with the latest virus. Makes me think of the refrain: "...I gets weary, sick and tired,..."

Mike67 12-30-2012 02:25 PM

Classic: Do I Have to Update Now? - Cheezburger