Windows 8 opinions - Page 37
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2014   #361
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Windows 8 opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster View Post
By the way, your link for 8 reasons to hate 8.1 failed to mention the ribbon. You might want to write to them and correct them on that one. That way they'll have 9 reasons to hate on it.
LOL. Good one.

BTW, that link is from Informationweek, a tech trade journal, not exactly Mothering.com or something.
JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014   #362
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 482489

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDArt View Post
I fully admit to being averse to change. And I'm slowly getting used to the sight of that godawful ribbon bar everywhere, the thing that moves things around, makes the command area bigger, but does nothing useful.

But to answer your question, I will pose another: why? Or maybe "what?" What advantage does the ribbon bring to Windows Explorer?
The ribbon unifies Microsoft products. It is easier to use on touch devices. It gives more space for visual clues.
d90709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014   #363
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022

Quote:
Originally Posted by d90709 View Post
The ribbon unifies Microsoft products. It is easier to use on touch devices. It gives more space for visual clues.
But I'm not using a touch device for business.

That's why businesses have questioned Microsoft so much recently.

Why not offer, as I said, a "glide path"? Why alienate your bread-and-butter base by taking away the option to not have to retrain?
JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014   #364
Llama

CamelKarma: 3178128
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
BTW, that link is from Informationweek, a tech trade journal, not exactly Mothering.com or something.
And that means the author of that article could NEVER be wrong or biased or a hater himself, right? Whatever he writes represents the experience of ALL users of the product, and any perceived benefits don't offset those criticisms at all. Like how important it is that the "Start Button" problem is the one that kills the whole experience, because you need the Start Button every minute or two while using the OS, and if it's not there, well... pretty much the end of the world, not just an annoyance that, by the way, appears to be on it's way to being completely fixed, but we still need to keep pointing it out, or we can't hate on it anymore, and what fun would THAT be?

You know what I see when I see the hate? It's pretty much like this...

Hater criticism:
Quote:
There are just so many ways I hate Windows 8. How about this: Windows Explorer file manager with a ribbon interface rather than menus?

Yeah, that was just what I needed all these years: a program that makes it twice as hard to figure out how to create a new folder/directory. Superb.

Every time I use Windows 8, I find a new thing to hate.
Reality:

Hard to take it very seriously, to be honest.

For those with such interests, here's a page that lists the gear I use: Buck's Gear

Life is like photography... FOCUS on what's important, CAPTURE the good times, DEVELOP from the negatives, and if things don't work out, TAKE ANOTHER SHOT!!!
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014   #365
Llama

CamelKarma: 3178128

Quote:
You don't have to. That's just one benefit for those who DO want it and CAN benefit from it. It doesn't affect non-touch users today any more than it did when the ribbon was introduced in Office way back in 2007. It took a couple weeks to get used to the change, and now I'd never go back.

Quote:
In reality, businesses have been using the ribbon in Office for so long that they're entirely used to it.

Quote:
Why not offer, as I said, a "glide path"?
That was fully explained in the article I linked you to that you decided not to read.

Quote:
Why alienate your bread-and-butter base by taking away the option to not have to retrain?
This reminds me of the angst when the ribbon was introduced in Office way back in 2007.

For those with such interests, here's a page that lists the gear I use: Buck's Gear

Life is like photography... FOCUS on what's important, CAPTURE the good times, DEVELOP from the negatives, and if things don't work out, TAKE ANOTHER SHOT!!!
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014   #366
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 482489

Quote:

I suppose we should bring back typewriters eh?
d90709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014   #367
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 76294
Editing OK?: No

Yeah, I've been using the ribbons so much for work since they came in that they don't bother me anymore...

And, JD, how the Hell are you going to say that it takes so slow to move/delete files without taking physical hardware into consideration? That has a vastly larger roll in the speed versus the frame work that the function uses. Are you using USB 3.0, FireWire 800, fiber and SSDs? Or, at least, 7200 or 10000 rpm HDDs? Least I'll use is 7200.
TheFantasticG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014   #368
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 230434
Editing OK?: No

I'm a Mac user for over 10 years. And recently bought a Surface Pro3 8gb 256 with Win 8.1 and in the beginning it was hard to find my way in Windows. And it still is from time to time. I still pick my MACs above the Surface. But this is more about what I'm use to use in the past. Windows 8.1 is very promising and also the developer release of Win 10 is looking good.

So there is room for OS X and WINDOWS in my house. The living happy to gather
Koban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014   #369
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 94743

I recently bought a laptop with win 8 and wish I'd purchased earlier when win 7 was still available.

My laptop is not touch sensitive and win 8 seems to be made for touch sensitive machines.

The biggest problem is down loading my RAW photos. Sometimes it just won't let Nikon Transfer place the photos in View NX and insists on sticking them into windows own photo program that can't handle RAW.

After changing from XP to Win7 and finding my printer and scanner would no longer work on the new system and the irritation of Win8 on my laptop I think I'm finished with Microsoft.

If I have to change again I'm going back to film.
zokski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014   #370
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 418649

Quote:
Originally Posted by zokski View Post
I recently bought a laptop with win 8 and wish I'd purchased earlier when win 7 was still available.

My laptop is not touch sensitive and win 8 seems to be made for touch sensitive machines.

The biggest problem is down loading my RAW photos. Sometimes it just won't let Nikon Transfer place the photos in View NX and insists on sticking them into windows own photo program that can't handle RAW.

After changing from XP to Win7 and finding my printer and scanner would no longer work on the new system and the irritation of Win8 on my laptop I think I'm finished with Microsoft.

If I have to change again I'm going back to film.
I'll bet you can get a RAW converter from Nikon. I use Windows 8.1 and do a lot of photography. Look for a Nikon RAW codec. Here...I found it for you. https://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans...nikon-software It is the NEF codec in the grid.
I never use the touch based interface on my computer. I just use the desktop. Go to a program you use a lot, right click on it and select Pin to taskbar. You will then find it on the bottom of your screen when you are in the Windows desktop. One click will open it.
Lightroom and Photoshop are available as a package from Adobe for $10 a month. If you aren't using this ?
You can tell Windows how to handle different kinds of data.
Film isn't the greatest option these days...
The latest version of Windows has security features that you really need.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: