Windows 8 opinions - Page 36
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2014   #351
Llama

CamelKarma: 3178128
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Windows 8 opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDArt View Post
Well, that's something.

I admit that I have looked (almost by necessity) at customizing the various "ribbons" that have been forced upon me, but each time the resulting customization dialog box has seemed too overwhelming to me to want to get started.

It's easier to say "to hell with it" and move back to a machine that predates Windows Hate.
Read the link I provided. I'm interested in what your thoughts will be after you've gotten to the end of it.

For those with such interests, here's a page that lists the gear I use: Buck's Gear

Life is like photography... FOCUS on what's important, CAPTURE the good times, DEVELOP from the negatives, and if things don't work out, TAKE ANOTHER SHOT!!!
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014   #352
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster View Post
Read the link I provided. I'm interested in what your thoughts will be after you've gotten to the end of it.
I skimmed it. Here are my takeaways:
  • Whoever wrote that gives the appearance of thoughtfulness in approaching a redesign. The appearance of thoughtfulness is pretty easy to accomplish, actually.
  • Nowhere in the article do we hear a discussion of addressing some of Explorer's longstanding aggravations: sloooow copying of files, painfully slow deletion of directories with hundreds or thousands of files, completely erroneous reporting of the "time remaining" to copy or delete files (why bother with time estimation if you can't provide it accurately?). The writer talks about respecting the "legacy" of Explorer. Unfortunately that legacy includes inadequacies of Explorer's most essential functionality--file management!--that no one at Microsoft has thought to address. Funny thing about Explorer: its primary function is thought to be okay. It's not!
My take: Poo, with a capital P. Whoever wrote that probably has a cool title at Microsoft, such as "Senior Development Fellow." My butt. I've worked at software companies long enough to know all of the tricks. I'm not impressed with this silliness.

Bottom line: Windows 8's failure is written all over the corporate marketplace. No one but retail lemmings will use that thing. It's a disaster. Windows Explorer with a ribbon is another disaster.
JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014   #353
Llama

Quote:
I skimmed it. Here are my takeaways:
  • Whoever wrote that gives the appearance of thoughtfulness in approaching a redesign. The appearance of thoughtfulness is pretty easy to accomplish, actually.
  • Nowhere in the article do we hear a discussion of addressing some of Explorer's longstanding aggravations: sloooow copying of files, painfully slow deletion of directories with hundreds or thousands of files, completely erroneous reporting of the "time remaining" to copy or delete files (why bother with time estimation if you can't provide it accurately?). The writer talks about respecting the "legacy" of Explorer. Unfortunately that legacy includes inadequacies of Explorer's most essential functionality--file management!--that no one at Microsoft has thought to address. Funny thing about Explorer: its primary function is thought to be okay. It's not!
My take: Poo, with a capital P. Whoever wrote that probably has a cool title at Microsoft, such as "Senior Development Fellow." My butt. I've worked at software companies long enough to know all of the tricks. I'm not impressed with this silliness.

Bottom line: Windows 8's failure is written all over the corporate marketplace. No one but retail lemmings will use that thing. It's a disaster. Windows Explorer with a ribbon is another disaster.
Haters gonna hate, no matter what. Enjoy your hate.

Maybe just go back to XP, or switch to Apple or Linux or an abacus, and be happy again.

Or, here's an idea: Show them how to do it right. As someone who worked at software companies long enough to know all the tricks, no doubt you can design a much better Explorer. Probably make a gazillion dollars with it too, so there's double your incentive. It's win/win!!

For those with such interests, here's a page that lists the gear I use: Buck's Gear

Life is like photography... FOCUS on what's important, CAPTURE the good times, DEVELOP from the negatives, and if things don't work out, TAKE ANOTHER SHOT!!!
Old 10-12-2014   #354
Camel Breath

Quote:
Haters gonna hate, no matter what. Enjoy your hate.

Maybe just go back to XP and be happy again.
What do you think of my points, though, about Microsoft failing to address core functionality? Explorer in XP is a pig, too, but at least it doesn't try to add makeup to the mess.

Here's something fun: Have you ever tried to copy 30,000 files at once with Windows Explorer (a, uh, file manager)? What was the result? Would a ribbon have helped you out?

If you're going to make a toaster, shouldn't it make toast?
Old 10-12-2014   #355
Llama

Quote:
What do you think of my points, though, about Microsoft failing to address core functionality?
I think they're just a way for you to complain and hate.

Quote:
Explorer in XP is a pig, too, but at least it doesn't try to add makeup to the mess.
The ribbon is a lot more than "makeup", not that you'll admit it. After all, you "skimmed" the explanations behind it and ignored every point made in favor of it so that you could continue with hating on it.

Quote:
Here's something fun: Have you ever tried to copy 30,000 files at once with Windows Explorer (a, uh, file manager)? What was the result?
I don't know the number of files, but I've copied entire multi-TB hard drives with it, so I'll guess there were probably that many files, give or take. Result: It takes a long time. Not surprising though, given throughput of the devices involved.

Quote:
Would a ribbon have helped you out?
Would it have hurt? I doubt it. I think the outcome would be the same, either way.

Not that it matters, of course, since you're completely missing the point of the ribbon with this question, on purpose, so that you can simply keep hating on it.

Quote:
If you're going to make a toaster, shouldn't it make toast?
If you're just going to be a hater, shouldn't you just admit that your questions are nothing but bait to hate some more, no matter what the answers are?

Old 10-12-2014   #356
Camel Breath

8 Reasons To Hate Windows 8.1 - InformationWeek

"Just how unloved is Windows 8's new interface? Consider this: One of Windows 8.1's hot new features is the ability to bypass the Live Tile user interface and boot directly to the traditional Windows desktop. It's a tacit admission by Microsoft that its ambitious goal of creating a unified interface for mobile and desktop devices hasn't exactly gotten a warm embrace from longtime Windows users."
Old 10-12-2014   #357
Camel Breath

Quote:
If you're just going to be a hater, shouldn't you just admit it that your questions are nothing but bait to hate some more, no matter what the answers are?
I'm the first to admit that I'm averse to change (I believe I stated this). I don't mind being called a hater, either, so feel free. I doubt that it's accurate, but oh, well.

If I were alone in my utter disrespect for the disrespect Microsoft has shown its users in foisting radical changes in Office and Windows upon its users without providing a glide path to the change, I would relent. But I'm not.
Old 10-12-2014   #358
Llama

Quote:
I'm the first to admit that I'm averse to change (I believe I stated this). I don't mind being called a hater, either, so feel free. I doubt that it's accurate, but oh, well.

If I were alone in my utter disrespect for the disrespect Microsoft has shown its users in foisting radical changes in Office and Windows upon its users without providing a glide path to the change, I would relent. But I'm not.
The fact that you're not the only person to hate on a new version of something doesn't exactly justify that hate.

There are haters of EVERY upgrade and update to EVERY software and even every hardware that comes along, and not just in computing. There are always those who act like it's the end of civilization as we know it, and all we can look forward to is doom and gloom. That's nothing new, and it's nothing impressive to pick at things you consider flaws, mostly because you don't want to take the time to learn them, by your own admission.

Eventually, the world turns and the haters slowly but surely climb on board, and about the time they love it, a new version comes out for them to hate on all over again.

Enjoy the part you play in that drama.

Old 10-12-2014   #359
Camel Breath

Quote:
The fact that you're not the only person to hate on a new version of something doesn't exactly justify that hate.
Okay. I'll let it go. I made my points.

As a (former) computer guy, I fire up Windows 8 now and then. Each time, I shake my head in recognition that nothing in the tech industry has changed since I left.

Glad to be out.
Old 10-12-2014   #360
Llama

By the way, your link for 8 reasons to hate 8.1 failed to mention the ribbon. You might want to write to them and correct them on that one. That way they'll have 9 reasons to hate on it.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: