Windows 8 opinions - Page 35
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
 

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2014   #341
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master
 
verdesardog's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,312
CamelKarma: 3249515
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Windows 8 opinions

win 8 sucks, 8.1 is not too bad, just a bit of a learning curve.


I'm 67yo.....
__________________
Michael

COMMENTS, CRITIQUES ALWAYS WELCOME

IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE
verdesardog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014   #342
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath
 
wolfd's Avatar
 
Location: Beautiful B.C.
Posts: 56,476
CamelKarma: 199623261
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Windows 8 opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdesardog View Post
win 8 sucks, 8.1 is not too bad, just a bit of a learning curve.


I'm 67yo.....
You are a prime candidate for Windows 10.

More info here:

Windows 10: 12 things you need to know | PCWorld
__________________
The best camera is the one you have with you.
- Chase Jarvis
wolfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014   #343
Camel Breath
 
JDArt's Avatar
 
Location: Far out
Posts: 23,701
CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Windows 8 opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdesardog View Post
win 8 sucks, 8.1 is not too bad, just a bit of a learning curve.


I'm 67yo.....
8.1 is okay if you're stuck with no other options. Otherwise, it sucks just a bit less than 8.

There are just so many ways I hate Windows 8. How about this: Windows Explorer file manager with a ribbon interface rather than menus?

Yeah, that was just what I needed all these years: a program that makes it twice as hard to figure out how to create a new folder/directory. Superb.

Every time I use Windows 8, I find a new thing to hate.
JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014   #344
Dromedary
 
TheFantasticG's Avatar
 
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,449
CamelKarma: 76294
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Windows 8 opinions

Like I said, just hating for the sake of hating.

Sure, Metro is a legit hate, because it's a touch UI on a desktop. But when you are coming up with that many things... Why not get into their feedback program? It appears they are listening to their users, finally, so why not have your say?
TheFantasticG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014   #345
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator
 
Mr. Pickles's Avatar
 
Location: Old Folks Home
Posts: 23,274
CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Windows 8 opinions

Win 8.1 works fine. Not sure why all the hate. The biggest blunder was the Start menu going away, but it is back if you want it and W10 has it anyway. Win8 was a complete pain in the butt, mostly because it was so radically different when you first booted in, and it took a LONG time to figure out what the heck all that crap did. Huge GUI (Graphical User Interface) mistake, but they knew that right away. Good for tablets, if they took off for Microsoft, which they didn't, and are still struggling, although Surface 3 is pretty nice option, but a tick pricey.

Interesting about Win9... supposed rumors as to why it is not Win9 is that deep in some of the older Windows code that has not changed is statements like:
If leftside of version = "Windows 9" then do blah blah...

that worked for Windows 95 and it has not changed. Stupid and very poor programming, but I have seen a lot worse.

Other theories is that Win 10 makes it the same number as Apples OS X (10 in roman numerals), or that there are actually 10 major releases of Windows, so this is a "milestone"....
__________________
Olympus Full-time User
Olympus Passion Magazine
Idiot Savant AND trouble-maker...

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014   #346
Vicuna
 
d90709's Avatar
 
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 101
CamelKarma: 482489
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Windows 8 opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidebyte View Post
Not at all, for openers they have eliminated many features of 7 for maintenance that we were all used to, now they don't exist. If it ain't broke........................
Like what?
d90709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014   #347
Vicuna
 
d90709's Avatar
 
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 101
CamelKarma: 482489
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Windows 8 opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDArt View Post
8.1 is okay if you're stuck with no other options. Otherwise, it sucks just a bit less than 8.

There are just so many ways I hate Windows 8. How about this: Windows Explorer file manager with a ribbon interface rather than menus?

Yeah, that was just what I needed all these years: a program that makes it twice as hard to figure out how to create a new folder/directory. Superb.

Every time I use Windows 8, I find a new thing to hate.
How is it harder? For starters, you can right click inside a folder to bring up the context menu allowing you to create a new folder (or several other things) - the same behaviour, I think since Windows 95. As I see it, the ribbon simply changes your vertical menus into horizontal ones, with more space. The New folder icon is under the home tab instead of the file tab. I can see you missing it the first time you do it, but its not much of a stretch to change that habit.
d90709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014   #348
Camel Breath
 
JDArt's Avatar
 
Location: Far out
Posts: 23,701
CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Windows 8 opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by d90709 View Post
How is it harder? For starters, you can right click inside a folder to bring up the context menu allowing you to create a new folder (or several other things) - the same behaviour, I think since Windows 95. As I see it, the ribbon simply changes your vertical menus into horizontal ones, with more space. The New folder icon is under the home tab instead of the file tab. I can see you missing it the first time you do it, but its not much of a stretch to change that habit.
I fully admit to being averse to change. And I'm slowly getting used to the sight of that godawful ribbon bar everywhere, the thing that moves things around, makes the command area bigger, but does nothing useful.

But to answer your question, I will pose another: why? Or maybe "what?" What advantage does the ribbon bring to Windows Explorer?
JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014   #349
Llama
 
Buckster's Avatar
 
Location: Northern Michigan
Posts: 888
CamelKarma: 3178128
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Windows 8 opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDArt View Post
I fully admit to being averse to change. And I'm slowly getting used to the sight of that godawful ribbon bar everywhere, the thing that moves things around, makes the command area bigger, but does nothing useful.

But to answer your question, I will pose another: why? Or maybe "what?" What advantage does the ribbon bring to Windows Explorer?
Off the top of my head, ribbon bars are highly customizable to each user's own preferences for what they feel THEY need.

You should give this a read:

Improvements in Windows Explorer - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
__________________
Your honest C&C is always welcome and appreciated.

For those with such interests, here's a page that lists the gear I use: Buck's Gear

Life is like photography... FOCUS on what's important, CAPTURE the good times, DEVELOP from the negatives, and if things don't work out, TAKE ANOTHER SHOT!!!
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014   #350
Camel Breath
 
JDArt's Avatar
 
Location: Far out
Posts: 23,701
CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Windows 8 opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster View Post
Off the top of my head, ribbon bars are highly customizable to each user's own preferences for what they feel THEY need.
Well, that's something.

I admit that I have looked (almost by necessity) at customizing the various "ribbons" that have been forced upon me, but each time the resulting customization dialog box has seemed too overwhelming to me to want to get started.

It's easier to say "to hell with it" and move back to a machine that predates Windows Hate.


__________________
Members don't see ads in threads. Register for your free account today and become a member of PhotoCamel to open up the site's many benefits and features.
JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »


Share this topic:

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ok i need some opinions please Imagesgranted Canon 6 04-28-2011 05:42 PM
FS: Vista Home Premium 64 w/windows 7 upgrade/ Windows 7 HP Upgrade zetachi Marketplace / Buy-Sell 9 01-21-2010 02:50 PM
Opinions please Bob B Black & White 11 01-10-2010 07:51 AM
Windows XP SP3 breaks Windows Home Server JDArt Computers and Software 0 05-26-2008 04:18 PM