Windows 8 opinions - Page 35
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2014   #341
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 3249515
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Windows 8 opinions

win 8 sucks, 8.1 is not too bad, just a bit of a learning curve.

I'm 67yo.....

COMMENTS, CRITIQUES ALWAYS WELCOME

IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE
verdesardog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014   #342
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdesardog View Post

I'm 67yo.....
You are a prime candidate for Windows 10.

More info here:

Windows 10: 12 things you need to know | PCWorld
Old 10-02-2014   #343
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdesardog View Post

I'm 67yo.....
8.1 is okay if you're stuck with no other options. Otherwise, it sucks just a bit less than 8.

There are just so many ways I hate Windows 8. How about this: Windows Explorer file manager with a ribbon interface rather than menus?

Yeah, that was just what I needed all these years: a program that makes it twice as hard to figure out how to create a new folder/directory. Superb.

Every time I use Windows 8, I find a new thing to hate.
JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014   #344
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 76294
Editing OK?: No

Like I said, just hating for the sake of hating.

Sure, Metro is a legit hate, because it's a touch UI on a desktop. But when you are coming up with that many things... Why not get into their feedback program? It appears they are listening to their users, finally, so why not have your say?
TheFantasticG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014   #345
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First

Win 8.1 works fine. Not sure why all the hate. The biggest blunder was the Start menu going away, but it is back if you want it and W10 has it anyway. Win8 was a complete pain in the butt, mostly because it was so radically different when you first booted in, and it took a LONG time to figure out what the heck all that crap did. Huge GUI (Graphical User Interface) mistake, but they knew that right away. Good for tablets, if they took off for Microsoft, which they didn't, and are still struggling, although Surface 3 is pretty nice option, but a tick pricey.

Interesting about Win9... supposed rumors as to why it is not Win9 is that deep in some of the older Windows code that has not changed is statements like:
If leftside of version = "Windows 9" then do blah blah...

that worked for Windows 95 and it has not changed. Stupid and very poor programming, but I have seen a lot worse.

Other theories is that Win 10 makes it the same number as Apples OS X (10 in roman numerals), or that there are actually 10 major releases of Windows, so this is a "milestone"....

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014   #346
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 482489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidebyte View Post
Not at all, for openers they have eliminated many features of 7 for maintenance that we were all used to, now they don't exist. If it ain't broke........................
Like what?
d90709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014   #347
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 482489

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDArt View Post
8.1 is okay if you're stuck with no other options. Otherwise, it sucks just a bit less than 8.

There are just so many ways I hate Windows 8. How about this: Windows Explorer file manager with a ribbon interface rather than menus?

Yeah, that was just what I needed all these years: a program that makes it twice as hard to figure out how to create a new folder/directory. Superb.

Every time I use Windows 8, I find a new thing to hate.
How is it harder? For starters, you can right click inside a folder to bring up the context menu allowing you to create a new folder (or several other things) - the same behaviour, I think since Windows 95. As I see it, the ribbon simply changes your vertical menus into horizontal ones, with more space. The New folder icon is under the home tab instead of the file tab. I can see you missing it the first time you do it, but its not much of a stretch to change that habit.
d90709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014   #348
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by d90709 View Post
How is it harder? For starters, you can right click inside a folder to bring up the context menu allowing you to create a new folder (or several other things) - the same behaviour, I think since Windows 95. As I see it, the ribbon simply changes your vertical menus into horizontal ones, with more space. The New folder icon is under the home tab instead of the file tab. I can see you missing it the first time you do it, but its not much of a stretch to change that habit.
I fully admit to being averse to change. And I'm slowly getting used to the sight of that godawful ribbon bar everywhere, the thing that moves things around, makes the command area bigger, but does nothing useful.

But to answer your question, I will pose another: why? Or maybe "what?" What advantage does the ribbon bring to Windows Explorer?
JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014   #349
Llama

CamelKarma: 3178128
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDArt View Post
I fully admit to being averse to change. And I'm slowly getting used to the sight of that godawful ribbon bar everywhere, the thing that moves things around, makes the command area bigger, but does nothing useful.

But to answer your question, I will pose another: why? Or maybe "what?" What advantage does the ribbon bring to Windows Explorer?
Off the top of my head, ribbon bars are highly customizable to each user's own preferences for what they feel THEY need.

You should give this a read:

Improvements in Windows Explorer - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

For those with such interests, here's a page that lists the gear I use: Buck's Gear

Life is like photography... FOCUS on what's important, CAPTURE the good times, DEVELOP from the negatives, and if things don't work out, TAKE ANOTHER SHOT!!!
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014   #350
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster View Post
Off the top of my head, ribbon bars are highly customizable to each user's own preferences for what they feel THEY need.
Well, that's something.

I admit that I have looked (almost by necessity) at customizing the various "ribbons" that have been forced upon me, but each time the resulting customization dialog box has seemed too overwhelming to me to want to get started.

It's easier to say "to hell with it" and move back to a machine that predates Windows Hate.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: