Windows 8 opinions - Page 34
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2014   #331
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 315530
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Windows 8 opinions

I'm sticking with Mac for the moment though if push comes to shove, I'd reformat a windows box and put Linux on it before I'd use windows.
Naked Photogpher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014   #332
Llama

CamelKarma: 333551
Editing OK?: Yes

Wow, I can't believe this thread is still active. From what I've seen, Win 8.1 corrected many of the complaints about 8.0. If I were to buy a new pc for home use, I'd keep 8.1 on it. It performs better than Win 7, seems to have better memory management, and seems to be pretty stable. It does take a bit of getting used to, but like I said, at 8.1 its really not as bad as some people say it is.

Should businesses spend the $$ to upgrade all machines from Win 7 to 8.1? No. its not worth the investment. I work in IT at a company with 60k+ employees that just finished a project to upgrade from the prior standard of XP to Win 7. I suspect that we will skip 8 for the most part and see what 9 offers for the next upgrade.
Old 09-26-2014   #333
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZerbe View Post
Wow, I can't believe this thread is still active. From what I've seen, Win 8.1 corrected many of the complaints about 8.0.
Did it get rid of tiles and bring back the Start menu the way it was? If not, then no way I'm going to 8. Screw that.

Microsoft dumped a big stinky one with 8, so far as I'm concerned.
JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014   #334
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 418649
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDArt View Post
Did it get rid of tiles and bring back the Start menu the way it was? If not, then no way I'm going to 8. Screw that.

Yeah...it's important that it take as many clicks as possible to open your applications in desktop view. Just 1 click is a really stinky idea.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014   #335
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1495882

Not at all, for openers they have eliminated many features of 7 for maintenance that we were all used to, now they don't exist. If it ain't broke........................
Old 09-27-2014   #336
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 418649

Everything you need is still there.
Might take a bit of work to find it. There is good documentation...
None of the recent operating systems place you as close to the nuts and bolts as you used to be.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014   #337
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 76294
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDArt View Post

Uh, you have been able to skip the tiles since 8.1 was released.

The panel that comes out to the right offers all the computer functions (such as the Control Panel) that the start menu offered without even clicking anything to get to CP. it's actually faster now to get to CP now than it was on Win7.

Now, if yall didn't see it, they are skipping Windows 9 and going to Windows 10 that's going to be released mid 2015. It's going to mix Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 it seems.
TheFantasticG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014   #338
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 405

Hmm, thanks for pointing that out, TheFantasticG. We just bought a new laptop and blindly replaced Windows 8 with Windows 7, but sounds like 8.1 is worth a shot.
cldellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014   #339
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 315530
Editing OK?: Ask first

Interestingly Windows 10 has been announced with no sign of Windows 9. At a guess, Windows 9 was such a stinker that even Micro(beta)soft daren't release it.
Naked Photogpher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014   #340
Songster

CamelKarma:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Photogpher View Post
Interestingly Windows 10 has been announced with no sign of Windows 9. At a guess, Windows 9 was such a stinker that even Micro(beta)soft daren't release it.

Microsoft are skipping windows 9 and are going straight to windows 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84NI5fjTfpQ

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: