Windows 8 opinions - Page 28
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013   #271
Llama

CamelKarma: 58067
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Windows 8 opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidebyte View Post
Ask what percentage Dell sells without MS distro installed , damned few.
By stealing I was referring to the fact that MS basically stole the whole Windows concept from Jobs, they are marvelous at stealing other peoples software or if they can't steal in in some cases they buy it like they did from Norton.
you are correct on that point. MS was at a meeting with Applle and was shown what the screen looked like with its icons. supposedly the MS guy said "I want that", thus came the development of the Windows desktop os built upon a DOS environment. neither Apple's os, nor Windows could run on the others hardware. Windows and the IBM hardware were entirely different than the Apple os and hardware.
and for those who didn't know, HP was Jobs former employer and had the right to the first ever Apple desktop pc, but declined it saying desktops would never amount to anything. HP also once had copyright to Unix os, but put it into the public domain while Linux was in its early days. Linux was the os developed using a unix kernel in creating an operating system a student needed for his pc because he could not afford one at the time. he put his into the public domain right at the beginning so others could help expand an improve it as he didn't have the time or resources to do so on his own.
chessmaster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #272
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 7324142

This thread keeps on going, soon enough windows 9 will be here and I will have a beard like father time lol. Carry on i'm just being silly
_Provo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #273
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1495882

I've been reading for the past 8 or 10 years that the PC will be passe' in the near future but it keeps hanging around like an IN-LAW.
Old 10-03-2013   #274
Llama

CamelKarma: 316487
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Provo_ View Post
This thread keeps on going, soon enough windows 9 will be here and I will have a beard like father time lol. Carry on i'm just being silly
Yes it is a controversial subject. More so than I thought it would.

My next question will be of those who use Win 8 now, "will you be upgrading to 8.1 or leave it alone on Oct 17th?" To upgrade from Win8, you must log in with a MS account (Not a local account) to download and upgrade. Otherwise you will be doing a clean install.
Yay (sarcastically)

Personally I don't want to have to use the MS account way of logging in to my computers. I use Local account to do so. ARRG
Well see how seamless it goes. I did not try the beta first and I'm going on what I read.
gumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013   #275
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumper View Post
Yes it is a controversial subject. More so than I thought it would.

My next question will be of those who use Win 8 now, "will you be upgrading to 8.1 or leave it alone on Oct 17th?" To upgrade from Win8, you must log in with a MS account (Not a local account) to download and upgrade. Otherwise you will be doing a clean install.
Yay (sarcastically)

Personally I don't want to have to use the MS account way of logging in to my computers. I use Local account to do so. ARRG
Well see how seamless it goes. I did not try the beta first and I'm going on what I read.
I will be upgrading to 8.1. In the past, Microsoft has always improved the product with SPs and version updates. This change, Windows 8 to 8.1 should make it a better system.
Old 10-06-2013   #276
Llama

CamelKarma: 58067

Quote:
Anyone with any sense at all knows that using an administrative account when using any version of Windows is a disaster waiting to happen, it allows the opportunity for any and all kinds of malware to get to the administrative functions of a pc.
Using a local account, while it doesn't always prevent malware actions, limits those actions to the local account, not the entire pc.
As for having an MS account to access all of Windows 8 and 8.1 capabilities, you should thank the NSA for that. They want to be able to track you easily and have access to your pc when you're not aware of it.
chessmaster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013   #277
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessmaster2000 View Post
Anyone with any sense at all knows that using an administrative account when using any version of Windows is a disaster waiting to happen, it allows the opportunity for any and all kinds of malware to get to the administrative functions of a pc.
Yet so many do use the administrative account for all usage. Even when told why not to.
I guess this is the ultimate in laziness. I had a customer tell me they didnt care about all that security stuff, they didn't want to have to type there password in all the time. Well I said, there you go. They are the type that keep me in business.

I should have stated I wont use MS "Live" to log in with earlier also.
Old 10-06-2013   #278
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoGene47 View Post
I will be upgrading to 8.1. In the past, Microsoft has always improved the product with SPs and version updates. This change, Windows 8 to 8.1 should make it a better system.
Well yes as MS will state, it will be more secure as they want us to believe. I'm not sure if this is all that accurate though. Will MS really hold out on security updates on 8 over 8.1? Perhaps holes are fixed the way a service pack would provide. But I do not care for the way they want us to upgrade to do so.
I will be clean installing the upgrade but not for a while.
Old 10-06-2013   #279
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 173

Quote:
Yet so many do use the administrative account for all usage. Even when told why not to.
I guess this is the ultimate in laziness. I had a customer tell me they didnt care about all that security stuff, they didn't want to have to type there password in all the time. Well I said, there you go. They are the type that keep me in business.

I should have stated I wont use MS "Live" to log in with earlier also.
I just ran through this concept with my twin boys. I let them create their accounts and explain to them why a password is needed now to install a program. They understood immediately if it pop up when they didn't install something that there was some malicious activity probably going on. I still remote into their PC to monitor as I should just encase, but all has been good.

Brady

Last edited by Freezframe_2; 10-06-2013 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: Edit!
Freezframe_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013   #280
Llama

Freezeframe nice. What are you monitoring your boys computers with?

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: